• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best pokemon Manga series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
I'm trying to get into the manga since everyone says its awesome and all that. So which gen's manga is best?

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I'm trying to get into the manga since everyone says its awesome and all that. So which gen's manga is best?

...Opinions vary quite a bit on this. QUITE A BIT.
Most important thing to remember, at least for me...is that to me, pokemon special is all about call backs and personifying the characters that are in the games, along with adding the managaka's unique twists to the plots...Mostly the call backs and Chevoks guns. My god, the writer just loves connecting things all over. Even over gen's...XD

But...
RBG was cool I guess. Its the first one, and I really loved the chibi art style that the mangaka once used...;~;...(yes I know they changed after the first one got sick or something...but still!)

Yellow...really depends upon how much you like yellow as a character. Some like her...Some don't. Some think she's a mary sue......its best if you decided upon yourself. but its essential for understanding certian plots later on. (more specificly, GSC.)

GSC- later parts of the story...need some previous character info. lol Not a good one to start with.

RS -You can start with this one...theres a mild BS ending (DON'T ATTACK ME DAMNIT.) But it goes back to a more adventure competition feel with saphirre and ruby...(Do you like "Feigning sissy boys" and "extreme tomboys?" XD)

FRLG & E really need character backstory once more...its hard to understand sometimes. lol

D/P is once again stand alone mostly. Though there is a villain there from before hand who just doens't want to go away...XD Its a comedy duo (Barry and Lucas's designs respectively.) with a princess (Dawn's design. and she's just rich. not a princess. But she acts like one sometimes. XD) who's really good at battling.

PT- I never read this one yet...but it consists of Dawn's design character ( REAL NAME IS SPOILING DAMNIT. XD) challanging the faculties while trying to find something.

HGSS- You need to know the GSC characters to get this stuff...and it still has more volume for the REAL ending.

BW-...interesting to say the least. The writer/managaka plays with N's character, making him seem less likeable, but more interesting as a foe for a real story. He's really good a percepting into pokemons thoughts...god, I consider him muramusa from that god damn bleach filler arc.
Blacks gimmick is kinda funny...and it throws him for a spin much much later on...but he's an OCD kid who knows his stuff about battling...But his mind gets so exicted about beating the pokemon leauge that he can't think clearly half the time...and uses a certian pokemon to clear it when need be.
White is the first nonaciton girl...(at first.) ...and thats all I'm gonna say.

So take your pick. XD

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Please note this: The manga you're talking about...(Pokemon Adventures, I assume) it's one manga.

The stories that make it are all one manga, not sets of completely different series altogether.

If you mean to start from what you think is the best, that's pointless as the series would be confusing if you didn't start from chapter 1.

But, if I must...the Diamond and Pearl chapter.

...Oh. You probably can't even see this since you're banned right now.

Last edited:

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Please note this: The manga you're talking about...(Pokemon Adventures, I assume) it's one manga.

The stories that make it are all one manga, not sets of completely different series altogether.

If you mean to start from what you think is the best, that's pointless as the series would be confusing if you didn't start from chapter 1.

But, if I must...the Diamond and Pearl chapter.

...Oh. You probably can't even see this since you're banned right now.
Well, to be fair, the stories for the various gens are mostly standalone. There are generally only a few references in each that tie them together(aside from the FRLG and HGSS arcs, which draw much more heavily on the Kanto/Johto sagas for obvious reasons). Although anyone who wants to read Adventures might as well start from the beginning, since the quality stays pretty much the same throughout the series.

homaster

Pokemon Adventures is probably the one you'd want to go with, it includes lots of 'Arcs' (Their way of separating different adventures based on the video game order.). It has Red/Blue Arc, Yellow Arc, Silver/Crystal/Gold Arc, Ruby/Sapphire Arc, FireRed/LeafGreen Arc, Emerald Arc, Pearl/Diamond/Platinum Arc, SoulSilver/HeartGold Arc, and the Black/White Arc.

It's a very good series, and you don't have to necessarily buy all of the volumes, you can read it for free and translated here:

http://www.otakuworks.com/series/3534/po…
Source(s):
My opinion...

xEryChan

Demon Child
Pokemon Adventures is to me. I definitely recommend it. I loved it.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
For me, it's definitely Pokemon Adventures. I've really enjoyed reading it.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pokemon Adventures (RBGY and GSC arcs ONLY, moreso the former than the latter). The plots are more original, and its not just copy and paste from the games.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
It depends on what you're looking for, and if you have access to older series and/or can read Japanese. If you're looking for an ongoing epic with good continuity, Special. If you're looking for something gripping and exciting that you can read in a day or two, DPA. If you want something with new takes on familiar characters, Electric Tale of Pikachu. If you like romances and/or a novel spin on the Pokemon World, Magical Pokemon Journey. And so on.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pokemon Adventures (first 2 regions), best adaptation of the games imo.
Though Season 1 of the anime comes close, but this isn't about the anime :p

Status
Not open for further replies.