• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Pokemon remake.

Best Pokémon remake.

• Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

mtqc

MY BEANS!
ORAS is my favorite, a combo of nostalgia and me loving that graphic style really makes it one of the best. I also love how they fleshed out characters like Wally. I think Gamefreak has only gotten better when it comes to making stronger characters (strong in terms of personality, not in terms of fighting them).

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
FireRed/LeafGreen. Because they are the most faithful and have a consistent style across the board.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I think Johto needs a reboot. Despite being good games, it's undeniable that the Gen 4 engine for Heart Gold and Soul Silver was laughably slow. But no chibi style or and NOT do it in Let's Go! style. It needs to be unique.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think Johto needs a reboot. Despite being good games, it's undeniable that the Gen 4 engine for Heart Gold and Soul Silver was laughably slow. But no chibi style or and NOT do it in Let's Go! style. It needs to be unique.
I wouldn’t mind something similar to the Legends art style but you have the cities and open fields set up like SwSh. As for Gym designs, make Whitney’s have the camera angle positioned in a semi first person point of view to give it the maze like experience it was aiming for. Keep Bugsy’s HGSS puzzle but with the lines looking more like a spider web similar to Viola’s Gym. Clair’s Gym should get the lava again but her puzzle involves putting together a Dragon statue whose tail has spikes that create a staircase and you get the pieces that are missing by defeating trainers you meet along the climb. Chuck has you face his Gym’s trainers in a tournament with Chuck facing you as the Gym’s “Champion” to keep the martial arts dojo theme. Pryce has you roll giant snowballs to get them to get big enough to press down switches and random special wild Ice types will occasionally pop out of the snow to make you change directions and break the snowballs apart and you still face some Trainers. Jasmine has no puzzle but her Gym has an industrial look to it on the inside. Falkner still has his HGSS Gym. Morty’s Gym is obscured by a black fog and the puzzle is the same except the player is given a candle ahead of time that starts off extremely dim and gets progressively brighter as they move forward. If they go in the wrong direction, the fog envelops their body and they are mysteriously teleported to the beginning by an unseen force.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I’d say OR/AS, followed by HG/SS. The latter was a great balance of the classic and modern aesthetic, but still suffered the flaws of Johto as a whole with the weak wild Pokémon. OR/AS takes what made Hoenn popular and improves on it with modern mechanics, and the addition of new features like the Delta Episode and DexNav to make it both fresh and a more complete Hoenn experience.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

I feel like a lot of older games need an overhaul on the scale of Legends Arceus (maybe not necessarily another Legends game, but a game that does change things to the same degree). Their designs, mechanics, rosters, and writing is so heavily outdated that a remake isn't enough to bring them up to modern standards, those regions need to be completely reimagined. Having areas that look like a 3 year old's LEGO set, regional dexes that only have 2 freaking Dragons, and storylines that amount to "the bad guys are up to no good, go stop them!" might've been okay back in the day, but this is not the 90's anymore, the Switch is infinitely more capable than the Gameboy (and we're paying twice as much for its games as a result) and the National Dex is far larger and more diverse now than we could've imagined it ever would've been back when those games came out. Asking us to pay $60 for a glorified copy/paste job of some of these older games on the same device that can run a game like BotW feels like flat out extortion, a game like LGPE or BDSP doesn't even feel like it belongs in the same league as games like BotW (or if you want to keep it to BotW, games like SwSh, LA, or even SV despite us knowing almost nothing about it yet). Sorry, but I have no interest playing a game that feels like it was made in the stone age anymore, if they want to rekindle interest in old regions they need to step their game up.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
HGSS>ORAS>FRLG>BDSP

HGSS was a great reimagining of the Johto region, the towns felt more unique, you got some features that were intended in the originals readded, some nice extras like the Poketriathlon, and even the Battle Frontier (though it's a copy of Platinum's). Its biggest problem is that the level curve is still pretty awful, but it's not enough to put ORAS over it.

ORAS is next, like HGSS it's a good reimagining of Hoenn as it expands and fixes many of the story flaws, adds some new and improved features like the DexNav and Soaring, and has some nice extras like the Legendary hunts. The only issue is that it ignores Emerald content aside from the Delta Episode (which is a mixed bag on its own for me), and it's not just the Battle Frontier, it's also minor additions like the improved Gym Rosters that I missed. If it had that it'd probably beat HGSS for me, but without it falls short.

FRLG is a copy paste aside from the post-game, it's nice to have the Sevii Islands and the QoL improvements to the gameplay, but I don't like that they made the main story so 1:1 with the originals aside from a brief detour.

BDSP is faithful to a fault. It is nice to have the improved rematches and the Underground, but it doesn't make up for the almost complete lack of Platinum content (which IMO, did so much to bring up Sinnoh as a whole) and the lack of general improvements in other areas.

Ryker101

HGSS for sure, some remakes nowadays seem to take steps backwards from their original games. Like ORAS not having battle frontier or BDSP not borrowing Platinum’s improvements. But HGSS are definitively better than GS and improve it in almost every way. There’s just so much content compared to the other ones and feels like they included everything they wanted to