• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Region? Worst Region? Coolest Starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Storyline wise I think the best region is Johto. Landscape wise definitely Hoenn along with the music and starters.

I think Hoenn is the best region but Johto has the best story line. Sinnoh by far for me was the worst region ever. Bad music, really bad starters... I hated how half the region was mountains. I also hated the elite 4 there it was just unoriginal.. I did not like the atmosphere either. Unova was an okay region I guess the pokemon just got repetitive, after learning new typing I actually started to like unova. Kanto was boring, but it was the birthplace of pokemon so I guess it's alright. The Orange Islands though was pretty awesome (yes I went there)

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
I like Johto the best. Sinnoh is definitely the worst, Mt. Coronet was so over-hyped and there were so few fire-types and the game just played so slowly. I also thought the music was boring and I did not like most of the Pokemon.

As for starters, it's very hard. Either Kanto or Hoenn has the best starters for me, I don't mind using either Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle or Treecko, Torchic, or Mudkip.
Worst starters? Probably Sinnoh. I don't really like Infernape or Empoleon that much, leaving only Torterra.

Last edited:

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
In my opinion,
Best Region = Sinnoh
I love everything about Sinnoh. It's theme is just so... fitting. It gives me a mysterious vibe of the region. I love the way towns are arranged. I also love Sinnoh's designs and themes, how it's closer to creation than any other region. I love its music too, the legendary music is just too epic.
Worst Region = Kanto
I dislike Kanto for being so... I'm not sure... small, I guess. Personally, I find that Team Rocket's plot is kind of boring and shallow intentions. I mean, compared to later villains (alternate dimension, bigger seas/more land, Pokemon freedom), TR had... plain intentions, to be bad. I like how it's executed though, and how they're probably the cruelest team in existence.
Coolest Starters = Sinnoh trio
More bias for Sinnoh. I'm a #1 Piplup fan.
Worst Starters = Unova
I don't know, I didn't relaly like Serperior, Samurott or Emboar nor their base forms... I usually have 1 or 2 starter designs I like, but Unova... I have almost none.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I think most people hate unova because its new and you have to learn new typing to beat the game, at least I can say that for me. I didn't like the starters because I feel they were ripoff of previous regions.

Chikorita>Snivy

Torchic>Tepig

Squirtle>Oshawatt

I mean lets be honest do you think Blaziken would lose to Emboar in a fight?

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Best region: Sinnoh I love the fact that the routes are so varied, grass, caves, water, snow, fog, etc. Also, I personally loved that it was a large region.

Worst region: Hoenn There's just way too much water later in the game, making it hard to train pokemon that are weak to it. Besides the water, I enjoyed the rest of the region.

As for starters, each of them appeals to me in different ways, so I can't really pick a favorite. I usually pick one each generation that I prefer, but I quickly grow fond of the other ones. For example, when Gen 6 was announced, I fell for Fennekin right away, but already, Froakie and Chespin are growing on me.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Favorite region: Hoenn. Probably because Sapphire was the first game I owned and I love the dueling teams. Also, Water is my favorite type and Hoenn had the best Water types.

Least favorite region: Johto. Didn't care for the gym leaders at all. Whitney was impossible to beat then cries and refuses to give you a badge? I have never wanted to punch a girl like that before. I also really hated that Koga was in the Elite Four. Sure, a throwback to Kanto was cool but why couldn't it be Surge or Blaine? Koga is an idiot. Anyone who spams Toxic and Double Team like he does deserves a good smack in the mouth.

Favorite starters: Sinnoh. Diverse, great evolutions and types, cool designs. Just loved the Sinnoh starters.

Least favorite starters: Kanto. I think they are overrated because they are the original starters. I am personally a big Blastoise fan and never understood the Charizard hype. (Side note: In future Smash Bros games, if they include Pokemon trainer again, I want to pick which stages of the three Pokemon I want to use. I would have rather used Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, and Blastoise, personally.)

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Best region: Sinnoh (large variety of landscapes, large size, great music, interesting myths, the underground, least linear region to date, and the fight area)
Worst region: Unova (too linear, boring music, and looks like a 10 year olds idea for a theme park than a legitimate geographical region)
Coolest Starters
Grass type: Torterra
Fire type: Fennekin
Water type: Blastoise
Worst Starters
Grass type: Meganium
Fire type: Emboar
Water type: Feraligatr

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Best Region: Sinnoh. Despite the backtracking in DP though.
Worst Region: Unova. My reason is that I found completing the in-game material - Gyms and Elite Four - was just... what's the word?... fast-paced. If I didn't need to recharge my DS I could have sat down and completed the journey in one session.
Coolest Starter(s):
Grass - base: Treecko
Grass - middle: Servine
Grass - final: Sceptile
Fire - base: Charmander
Fire - middle: Monferno
Fire - final: Blaziken
Water - base: Totodile
Water - middle: Wartortle
Water - final: Empoleon
Worst Starter(s):
Grass - base: Chikorita
Grass - middle: Bayleef
Grass - final: Meganium
Fire - base: Torchic
Fire - middle: Combusken
Fire - final: Emboar
Water - base: Piplup
Water - middle: Prinplup
Water - final: Swampert

~Kari~

Favourite Region: Hoenn. It has so many unique Pokemon, including a lot of my favourite Pokemon. I also love the tropical theme and the music.
Least Favourite Region: I don't really have a least favourite. I like and dislike different things about each region.
Favourite Starters: Hoenn or Kanto.
Least Favourite Starters: Unova. Except for Snivy and Dewott, I hate the Unova starters.

KillerDraco

Favorite region? Definitely Unova. It felt more... complete. I freaking love the amount of content, and the fact that it actually seems to make sense in how it functions in regards to society; there's roads, cars, subways, planes... it's not just one big dirt route. Plus, with regards to the amount of content, it's easily the most in the series, especially with in B2/W2; there's so damn much to do. As the final nail in the coffin, thanks to shaking grass + Audino, there was ALWAYS a good place to grind, no matter where you were in the game.

Least favorite region? Hoenn. There's just way too much water, which makes it an absolute pain to level up around the 7th and 8th Gyms; there are so few good grinding spots. Plus, the region just... bored me. I'm not sure why, but the Pokemon there just didn't do much for me, and the region itself seemed sort of meh. Aside from the starters and legendaries, there were very few Hoenn Pokemon that I liked. But, I've always found that Hoenn and Kanto seem to get the most nostalgia love since both Gen I and Gen III ended up being the "first" Pokemon games for a particular generation of kids. Just my opinion though.

Favorite starters? Sinnoh. I loved the fact that all three starters had secondary types, and their secondary types allowed them battle against the starter that would be strong against them, and come out on top. I thought it was a creative concept, where you could actually turn the tables on your rival, starter-to-starter. It's a shame no other region has given all three starters secondary types, though Kanto and Hoenn came close.

Least favorite starers? Unova. As much as I love the region, I hate the starters. Generic pure grass, ANOTHER Fire/Fighting, and generic pure water... it was terribly uninspired, imo. All three starters were complete throwaway Pokemon. It's the only region I've ever boxed my starter in.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I'd say Kanto had the best starters. Johto had pretty cool starters, but the final evos were rather boring. Hoenn's starters were pretty cool. Sinnoh's were by far the worst. Unova starters... eh. Not bad I guess, but not the best. 6th Gen starters look good so far.

mask_and_mirror

Hoppip Hugger
My favourite region is Unova, since it's larger and more detailed, and has by far the best storyline. Hoenn is a close second as I really miss the Pokemon Contests. I don't really have a worst, though it's probably Kanto or Sinnoh.

Generation 2 has the best starters, though it's close. Generation 1 is probably the worst in this sense.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
My favorite region is Kanto, though I am talking solely about its "design". If various aspects are to be considered, I have no doubt the best region is Unova. My least favorite is probably Hoenn, I don't really like the tropical feeling it has and the places are uninteresting to me. IMHO: Kanto/Unova > Sinnoh > Johto > Hoenn.

The region that had the best starters was definitely Sinnoh, all of the three starters are useful and have neat designs. That said, I prefer Generation I/II starters. The Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Chikorita and Cyndaquil lines are among my favorites. I'd like to mention that all three Generation VI starters have interesting designs, but I can't talk about them before seeing their mid and final forms.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Best Region:Unova. It's easily my favorite and, imo, the best done region in Pokemon ever.

Worst Region:Hoenn's design is the least desirable imo. Of course if we're talking about Pokemon wise I say Sinnoh due to the low Pokemon count and it really shows with the Water and Fire-types of the region. Not to mention a lot of those Pokemon are only obtainable post-DP, Togekiss, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Magnezone, legends, etc.

Best Starters:Sinnoh wins. Piplup, Chimchar, Turtwig are all useful in some vain with unique fully-evolved typings.

In order I would say:

Unova > Johto > Sinnoh > Hoenn > Kanto

hurpat

Best region: It's a toss-up for me between Johto and Unova. Going by the storyline: Unova.

Worst region: I cannot stand Hoenn. I don't like many of the pokemon, the starters are meh for me, the gym leaders do not interest me, etc. Sinnoh would be second to last.

Best starters: Kanto. I have a hard time choosing a favorite between the three.

Worst starters: Hoenn. I can't stand Treecko, and the other two are just okay for me.

*~Silver*~

Best Region: It was definitely Sinnoh for me. I liked the new Pokemon this region had to offer, and the story line was good.

Worst Region: I didn't like Unova as much. It was just a straight line when it came to exploration. Sinnoh and Hoenn had a lot of places to explore, places that were wrong turns until later in the game, and Unova just didn't have any of that.

Best Starters: I'm going to go with Johto. I loved all three of Johto's fully evolved starter Pokemon.

Worst Starters: The Unova starters. I hated that they just HAD to introduce yet another Fire/Fighting starter. Serperior and Samurott could have been multi-type as well as Emboar. I just didn't like those starters.

Favorite region: Johto
Least favorite region: Unova/Sinnoh. Sinnoh was boring and Unova could have been better with a little more exploration and less linearity
Favorite starters: Kanto (Charizard is clearly my favorite)
Least favorite starters: Between Unova and Sinnoh but I think I will go with Unova

chimzard

I just loved Sinnoh , the games the pokemon and the region excited me like no other . To me the worst region has to be Hoenn

Status
Not open for further replies.