• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Rival?

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
From the point of being a rival: Silver, Cheren, Blue, Barry

From the point of being a human being: Silver, Cheren, Bianca, Wally, and Hau.

I know, but if I had to pick one....I would pick Silver. I really like all the rivals but the development of silver really shows how much he has changed.

EDIT: I don't consider N as a rival.

ancientus

I'd say Silver or Hau. They have a great character development and backstory.
Not sure if i should considere N and Gladion my rivals. They are more likely really important NPCS that carry the story, but they are not rivals in the traditional fashion.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
Gladion, hands down. Not only is he my favorite rival, he's my favorite Pokémon character, period. (Though N isn't far behind.)

If I'm only counting "traditional" rivals like Blue and May, though, Silver's my favorite. I've never played any of the Johto games, but I love him in the Pokémon Adventures manga. Had to mention him here.

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
Blue, for being the 'jerk-like guy' who's still likeable because he's so cool that his hair swings while he moves. Unlike in the more recent games, he just shows up when you least want him too. Having overlevelled teams right from the start (left from Viridian) and destroying you if you enter Saffron City by accident. Also shows up to crush your dreams when you think you've beaten the E4. Blue is essentialy the definition of 'rival' for me, and the best rival I've encountered in any video-game. His theme is also just perfect, he's just too cool to be not cool. I kinda hate but admire him at the same time, which is what a rival is all about I think?

I just shiver whenever I think of him, and I don't have this at any of the other rivals, really. Character wise N would win by a long shot though, but as a rival he was less thrilling to me. Silver, Wally and Gladion get honorable mentions. Hau gets the sportmanship award for being so nice that he's impossible to dislike.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hugh, he was a great character and was the only good friend rival that wasn't...... meh. And he had a role in the main plot too, involving Team Plasma.
Silver is a close second. Son of Giovanni, jerk who later turns friend in HGSS

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Does N count as a rival? Because if so, he's definitely my favorite

I loved Trever and Tierno, they were just so hilarious and fun, and I loved Tierno's dreams of dancing.

If I go by my own standards for favourite rivals, I will still say Gladion, but he's also tied with N. I think everyone knows why N is an amazing character at this point, so I won't waste my time rambling.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
Blue was kinda mean and Silver was a serial thief. Those two stand out, most recent rivvals are actually quite friendly.