• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best "Section" of each series?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
As in, which would you consider to be the best part in each series of pokemon, or regions if that's more comfortable for you. For me, it'd be:
OS: The johto league (well paced, some of the best battles up to that point even though many have aged badly, good variety of teams, charizard vs blastoise/blaziken)
AG: The last few episodes (probably starting with "Gathering a Gang of Four"), we got a nostalgia trip, a great battle with ash's remaining members of his original 6 concluding with defeating another legendary, ash and may participating in a final contest, having a fun battle against each other, one final battle against gary, an ok goodbye, and foreshadowing what would come in DP
DP: The sinnoh league (IMO the peak of the anime), epic battles, good pacing, the ash vs paul 3-parter (surprising we've still never gotten any 3-parter since then) being easily the best rivalry conclusion, and even if BS, the tobias fight was still awesome to see, ash went out like a champ in this one
BW: Probably the meloetta arcc as a whole, with the return of dawn and cynthia, one of the very few champion tier fights we've had, a fun tournament (though I have no idea how trip's serperior teleported outside pignite's fire pledge, seriously, what even...), iris development, and a pretty epic clash against TR (we should've seen more of giovanni vs ash though)
XY: Kalos league/TF arc: Epic battles all over, very emotional moments (clembot's death, bonnie's song, squishy's goodbye), great music, the amazing final stand against the megalith, great direction, ash finally fighting a team boss (though looking back the fight was kinda meh after pyroar went down), and alain and mairin's arcs finally coming to a great conclusion (though I feel like I'm kinda understating a few things here)
SM: Akala arc, on hindsight good pacing (we actually didn't get 3 trials at once like I feared when the titles were released, and due to SM's format they have gone back to akala a couple of times), a few good/great battles (ash vs olivia, kiawe vs marowak), unexpected gains (lana's z-ring/waterium Z, kiawe's marowak), some fun moments overall, foreshadowing to the AF arc with type null (though sadly said arc was mediocre), and a great epilogue with rockruff's evolution

DatsRight

BW: Probably the meloetta arcc as a whole, with the return of dawn and cynthia, one of the very few champion tier fights we've had, a fun tournament (though I have no idea how trip's serperior teleported outside pignite's fire pledge, seriously, what even...), iris development, and a pretty epic clash against TR (we should've seen more of giovanni vs ash though)

Likely this. It worked as one final big bang send off to the 'competent TR' arc (though I'm kinda glad it wasn't used as their swan song altogether) and proof they could take the helm as real thorns in the twerps' side. I admit to finding DA a guilty pleasure however, due to a more effortful return to 'classic style' format and some legit fun fillers with the twerps and comical TR again.

XY is probably the first 10 or so episodes for me. I liked how hype they were and that they were really carrying on from both Ash and TR's former experience level this time round. How competent Ash was and how legit threatening (but still buffoonish) TR was a rather cathartic play onto their now long running dynamic (even if that balance was short lived and Ash's hyper competent streak sorta grew stale after a while). Plus Serena having a short solo arc was an interesting play on introducing the new Pokegirl.

SM: Akala arc, on hindsight good pacing (we actually didn't get 3 trials at once like I feared when the titles were released, and due to SM's format they have gone back to akala a couple of times), a few good/great battles (ash vs olivia, kiawe vs marowak), unexpected gains (lana's z-ring/waterium Z, kiawe's marowak), some fun moments overall, foreshadowing to the AF arc with type null (though sadly said arc was mediocre), and a great epilogue with rockruff's evolution

I actually pretty much agree. The biggest qualm with it initially (Akala not getting enough exposure) was rectified later on to some degree. Otherwise this arc led me to believe everything was progressing nicely in SM (sadly the pace did not keep up). I liked seeing Lana and Kiawe get some much needed spotlight (one episode and a capture quickly turned Turtonator into one of my favourite Pokemon), Rowlet and Litten getting some needed battle time, and Ash finish his second grand trial. While I was a bit saddened by Rockruff evolving and losing his precious puppy form, I was appeased somewhat by Lycanroc keeping most of his old personality. I did also like a lot of the remainder of Season One such as the Charjabug race, Mimikyu bonding with Jessie and of course the Kanto two parter.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
@mehmeh1 What are the maximum number of episodes the “best part” of a series can have?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
OS- Without a doubt johto league, ash vs gary, ash vs harrison
AG- Entire BF arc, hard to pick AG was good but BF series was the best
DP- Sinnoh league, or the entire final season of DP
BW-Team Plasma and N arc, meleeotta arc was also fine
XY-Again for most of the part it was great, but kalos lague and team flare arc was best
SM- Akala arc, i even liked necrozma arc, hard to say it is still going

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
OS-entire Kanto and the Johto league.
AG-The entire Battle Frontier
DP-Wallace Cup
BW-BW 1-the two cancelled episodes and also the first few episodes of Dawn's guest appearance.
XY-the Serena episodes in the second year (53,60,64)
SM-Aether Foundation, Necrozma arc

Genaller

Silver Soul
OS Kanto/OI -> IL 1 - 17 (from beginning till the island of giant Pokémon)
OS Johto -> Johto League
AG -> Battle Frontier (AG 132 - 192)
DP -> Grand Festival + 8th GYM + Sinnoh League + End (DP 174 - 191)
BW -> Operation Tempest
XY -> A-G Mastery Arc + Kalos League + TF Finale + End (XYZ 23 - 47)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hoenn: Battle Frontier; It was nice to see Ash actually win something and a lot of his older Pokemon got to appear.... not just ones from a certain over pandered region
Sinnoh: The League. It was the best League so far, all the rivals.... the interactions, perfection. Plus Ash's Sinnoh squad did enough that the Kanto-Hoenn squads helping out wasn't an issue, it was great to see them and hopefully we get to see reserves return come gen 8's League or even the Sinnoh BF when we get those remakes. The Tag Tournament and Wallace Cup are close seconds
Unova: Dom Tournaments, I really liked those because the companions got to actually fight somebody other than Team Rocket AND we got to see the cast actually get to interact with each other's rivals, you never really got to see that in other series. I wish the Dom Tournaments got to stick around
Kalos: Korrina arc
Alola: Ula'Ula because it was just Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket. And best Kahuna and Trial Captain starred. Not to mention: No classmates needlessly hanging around in the background

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Oh so my idea in that other thread went somewhere!

OS: Orange Islands. I really dislike OS as a whole minus the humor but this mini side series always sticks out to me. Liked the change in challenges, Tracy (don't @ me), and AshvsDrake

AG: I liked the BF but especially the episode that started it off (The Right Place At The Right Mime), Sceptile's heartbroken arc, the Frontier Battles (favorite is Spencer), and the final string of episode where Combusken evolves and we see Gary's Electivire

DP: everything. I loved Chimchar's arc (inspiration of my username), the training episodes, the Gyms, the rival battles, somewhat of the contests, and, my favorite part of the entire anime, Ash vs Paul 3 parter.

BW: Krookodile's focus episodes, the episodes where Dawn and Cynthia returned, and the last episode. The Don George tournaments as well

XY: the episodes from Hawlucha's capture to the Lumiose Gym. From what I can recall, this was the peak of XY's hype. So many team changes, 3 amazing gym battles, Serena finally getting some goals focus, Clemont's focus at its peak, and that infamous Amourshipping tease. Also Team Flare arc was phenomenal.

SM: Litten's build up to being captured, Necrozma arc, and the middle part of the Aether arc where they were on Poni

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
OS: Ash vs Drake during the Orange League and the entire Johto League (with Ash vs Gary being the highlight).
AG: All the Battle Frontier battles and the first few episodes of the BF where Misty is with the gang when they start traveling Kanto and the one episode where there in Pallet Town.
DP: Oh man so many from this series: Chimchar's Arc, Wallace Cup (mostly due to May returning and Dawn finally proving herself as a coordinator) and the Sinnoh League (tied with Kalos as the best in my mind).
BW: Krookodile's Arc, the Dawn episodes,the Cynthia Episodes, Charizard's return and Dragonite's Arc.
XY: Kalos League/Team Flare Arc (RIP Clembot and Bonnie's attempt to get Squishy back), Wulfric Arc (Sawyer's reality check on Ash, Ash's initial loss against Wulfric, mastering Ash-Greninja and finally beating Wulfric) and Sernea's Last few Performances.
SM: (so far): Aether Arc (at least most of it, with the highlight of the whole SM series is Kukui and Burnet's Wedding) and the Ula'Ula Arc.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
First series: Episode 1, Butterfree's Goodbye, Pikachu's Goodbye, Snow Way Out, that episode where Charizard finally started obeying Ash, Ash's victory on Orange League, the episodes that came right after Ash parted ways with misty and brock (post-Johto League)
AG: Its first episode, May learning about contests, Aipom's debut and capture, Ash winning the BF.
DP: The first three episodes, tag tournnament arc, the Wallace Cup arc, Summer Camp arc (I like it!), the Ranger episodes, the HGSS promotion episodes with Lyra, Gible's capture, the Team Galactic arc, the Grand Festival, the Sinnoh League (mostly Ash vs Paul and the final battle against Tobias), the final episode.
BW: The Don George competitions, all the Iris capture episodes, Dawn's return arc, Episode N, the DA arc (maybe it's filler but I like it!)
XY: Aside from small nipticks like Chespin not going to Ash, Sawyer not being promoted to companion, May not appearing and Serena doing showcases rather than contests, I like everything lol
SM: The Litten/Torracat episodes, Ash's Lycanroc entire tenure as a Rockruff, Delia's visit episode, some of Lillie's focus episodes, Kukui's and Burnett's marriage, Poipole, the recent Pikachu valley episode.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
OS: The league and gym battles. AG: Team Magma/Aqua arc. DP: Dawn recieving Togekiss. BW: iris having only 4 Pokemon and half r not Dragons. XY: Serena’s showcases journey ended too early. SM: its existense. Edit: sorry thought its worse psrr of everyseries

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
ash finally fighting a team boss

He fought Giovanni in BWS2-12.

OS: The league and gym battles. AG: Team Magma/Aqua arc. DP: Dawn recieving Togekiss. BW: iris having only 4 Pokemon and half r not Dragons. XY: Serena’s showcases journey ended too early. SM: its existense. Edit: sorry thought its worse psrr of everyseries

LOL AT THIS POST^^^

Anyway, now for my own answer, I'm going to take this thread where it was never meant to go, and answer one answer for every single season:

Kanto: The St. Anne 3-parter. Especially having seen episode 1 of it before episode 1 of the show, because that's how the dub first aired.

OI: The Drake 2-parter. It was the first 6on6 battle in the show, and Drake's Dragonite having 10 moves was so epic.

The Johto Journeys: Weakest season overall tbh, but the Azalea Town 3-parter, since it's something at least.

Johto League Champions: the first two episodes, and then the last 2 episodes, lol: The Goldenrod 2-parter, and then the Olivine/Cianwood 2-parter.

Master Quest: The fact that it had so many arcs. Whirl Islands had both the TR 3-parter and the WC 3-parter. The Lake of Rage 2-parter led directly into the Pryce 2-parter due to Pryce's involvement at Lake of Rage. Then there was the Clair 5-parter. Then there was the Larvitar arc. Just wow. So many arcs. Massive shift in improvement from the first two Johto seasons.

Advanced: the Devon/Mr. Briney 2-parter with Team Aqua

Advanced Challenge: the fact that 3 straight episodes showed Team Magma vs. Team Aqua Part III at the Weather Institute, followed by the Fortree City 2-parter. My favorite part was my childhood self being stunned that a Team Magma member was showing up in the middle of a Team Aqua episode when Brodie's face was revealed.

Advanced Battle: the fact that the Team Magma vs. Team Aqua finale leads directly into 2 epic episodes at Mossdeep City. Two quirks of these 5 episodes that I love are that Training Wrecks! ends in a cliffhanger, and that "It's Still Rocket Roll to me!" is an incredible pun.

Battle Frontier: what many have already said in this thread, the whole sequence near the end with the 3 rematches against Brandon, the Aipom 5-parter, May's Grand Festival, "The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing!" not only being an incredible pun, but also being a great post-arc episode to set up May's next storyline, much better than what they did with Dawn in "Four Roads Diverged in a Pokémon Port!"

Diamond and Pearl: the Tag Battle tournament

DP Battle Dimension: Losing Its Lustrous! Double Team Turnover!

DP Galactic Battles: Galactic finale - best done finale of villain teams ever, and btw "Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!" incredible pun

DP Sinnoh League Victors: Flint Sparks the Fire! through the end.

Black and White: the Meowth arc

BW Rival Destinies: the last 13 episodes, which would also be the first 13 episodes of Best Wishes! Season 2

BW Adventures in Unova: Episode N

XY: the Korrina arc

XY Kalos Quest: the Anistar 4-parter, which features the best gym battle in the history of the show

XY&Z: the Greninja arc with the 3 straight losses leading up to Serena's SNOWBALL THROWS

Sun and Moon: the Akala Island arc

SM Ultra Adventures: AF arc, including the fact that the wedding ended on the 1,000th episode.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
He fought Giovanni in BWS2-12.

LOL AT THIS POST^^^

Anyway, now for my own answer, I'm going to take this thread where it was never meant to go, and answer one answer for every single season:

Kanto: The St. Anne 3-parter. Especially having seen episode 1 of it before episode 1 of the show, because that's how the dub first aired.

OI: The Drake 2-parter. It was the first 6on6 battle in the show, and Drake's Dragonite having 10 moves was so epic.

The Johto Journeys: Weakest season overall tbh, but the Azalea Town 3-parter, since it's something at least.

Johto League Champions: the first two episodes, and then the last 2 episodes, lol: The Goldenrod 2-parter, and then the Olivine/Cianwood 2-parter.

Master Quest: The fact that it had so many arcs. Whirl Islands had both the TR 3-parter and the WC 3-parter. The Lake of Rage 2-parter led directly into the Pryce 2-parter due to Pryce's involvement at Lake of Rage. Then there was the Clair 5-parter. Then there was the Larvitar arc. Just wow. So many arcs. Massive shift in improvement from the first two Johto seasons.

Advanced: the Devon/Mr. Briney 2-parter with Team Aqua

Advanced Challenge: the fact that 3 straight episodes showed Team Magma vs. Team Aqua Part III at the Weather Institute, followed by the Fortree City 2-parter. My favorite part was my childhood self being stunned that a Team Magma member was showing up in the middle of a Team Aqua episode when Brodie's face was revealed.

Advanced Battle: the fact that the Team Magma vs. Team Aqua finale leads directly into 2 epic episodes at Mossdeep City. Two quirks of these 5 episodes that I love are that Training Wrecks! ends in a cliffhanger, and that "It's Still Rocket Roll to me!" is an incredible pun.

Battle Frontier: what many have already said in this thread, the whole sequence near the end with the 3 rematches against Brandon, the Aipom 5-parter, May's Grand Festival, "The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing!" not only being an incredible pun, but also being a great post-arc episode to set up May's next storyline, much better than what they did with Dawn in "Four Roads Diverged in a Pokémon Port!"

Diamond and Pearl: the Tag Battle tournament

DP Battle Dimension: Losing Its Lustrous! Double Team Turnover!

DP Galactic Battles: Galactic finale - best done finale of villain teams ever, and btw "Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!" incredible pun

DP Sinnoh League Victors: Flint Sparks the Fire! through the end.

Black and White: the Meowth arc

BW Rival Destinies: the last 13 episodes, which would also be the first 13 episodes of Best Wishes! Season 2

BW Adventures in Unova: Episode N

XY: the Korrina arc

XY Kalos Quest: the Anistar 4-parter, which features the best gym battle in the history of the show

XY&Z: the Greninja arc with the 3 straight losses leading up to Serena's SNOWBALL THROWS

Sun and Moon: the Akala Island arc

SM Ultra Adventures: AF arc, including the fact that the wedding ended on the 1,000th episode.
now that's overachieving

Leonhart

Imagineer
janejane6178 said:

Why exactly were the League and Gym battles OS's worst aspects? Those were some of the few main plot points in OS to begin with.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Why exactly were the League and Gym battles OS's worst aspects? Those were some of the few main plot points in OS to begin with.
5 pity badges and the Ritchie loss making no sense (ref sucking)

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

Because the gym arc in kanto and the league battles in indigo league was a complete joke, its not even a rocket science to figure out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ash&charizardfan said:
Because the gym arc in kanto and the league battles in indigo league was a complete joke, its not even a rocket science to figure out.

The user I quoted seemed to be discussing OS as a whole though, so not simply Kanto. I thought Jouto's Gyms and League were good and I've seen few complaints about them, so I'd be shocked if suddenly people criticized those moments too. Either way though, it's unnerving to me if the main events in OS are considered the worse moments of the saga.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The user I quoted seemed to be discussing OS as a whole though, so not simply Kanto. I thought Jouto's Gyms and League were good and I've seen few complaints about them, so I'd be shocked if suddenly people criticized those moments too. Either way though, it's unnerving to me if the main events in OS are considered the worse moments of the saga.

Why is it unnerving when it's true?