• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best sleeper pokemon?

AuroraBeam

I'm not sure if this really fits your criteria, but the plusle you're given in Pokemon Colosseum really helped me in my playthrough. The game is always doubles, which plusle/minun are clearly designed for, so it shines much better here than in main series games. This game was the one time I actively kept and used Helping Hand on multiple occasions. Most of my team were special users so plusle's Fake Tears was a good supporting move too. In addition, I used the suicune who had Rain Dance on my team so the Surf/Thunder combo was pretty useful in most fights iirc.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What exactly do you mean by "looks weak". Pure appearance-wise, you could say Mew looks weak since it's some sort of cat fetus. Yet it's a legendary Pokemon. Or Pokemon like Magikarp and Cosmog who look and are pathetic but become beasts later on

What exactly do you mean by "looks weak". Pure appearance-wise, you could say Mew looks weak since it's some sort of cat fetus. Yet it's a legendary Pokemon. Or Pokemon like Magikarp and Cosmog who look and are pathetic but become beasts later on
I meant Pokemon who's design is unassuming but actually powerful.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I'm not sure if this really fits your criteria, but the plusle you're given in Pokemon Colosseum really helped me in my playthrough. The game is always doubles, which plusle/minun are clearly designed for, so it shines much better here than in main series games. This game was the one time I actively kept and used Helping Hand on multiple occasions. Most of my team were special users so plusle's Fake Tears was a good supporting move too. In addition, I used the suicune who had Rain Dance on my team so the Surf/Thunder combo was pretty useful in most fights iirc.
I loved using Plusle! Used it in Sapphire, Colosseum, and Alpha Sapphire. Sure it's not the most powerful, but it's definitely better than people give it credit for when they write it off as a Pika clone. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the little thing : )

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Azumarill and Cinccino both look cute, but hit hard thanks to Huge Power and Skill Link, respectively.

nickdt

I have too say Bruxish. Its really underrated and has three good abilities.

Scammel

Crawdaunt is found in ponds, is slow with poor defences and has glaring weaknesses to popular attacking moves. It also eats souls for breakfast.

Sableye has stats so bad it almost falls into the joke category along with Spinda, Farfetch'd, Luvdisc etc. With Prankster, it can demolish stall and stop the meanest physical attackers in their tracks.

Tentacruel dies to non-STAB Earthquake, evolves from one of the most common Pokémon in existence, lacks any reliable recovery and has a really weird stat distribution with low offenses. It's never fallen below UU in over 20 years, with multiple stints in OU.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
farfetch'd, bravebird, leaf blade, dark attack and first impression mixed with a 90 base atk and defiant. it can take a few people by surprise in the right conditions.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Azumarill in a lot of ways. Its cute and small, with a tiny base stat total for a fully evolved pokemon. And its vulnerable to all sorts of status. There' are no signature moves or special lore around it, and its very easy to find, breed and catch. But thanks to Huge Power, as well as its access to both aqua jet and belly drum its one of the most dangerous sweepers below the ubers tier. Plus even without huge power, its a passable perish trapper since its got sap sipper and a trapping move in whirlpool.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Volbeat is pretty underrated I'd say. Prankster is a very good ability, and the ability to Baton Pass Tail Glow shouldn't be underestimated. Give it a Focus Sash and it's hard to prevent it from passing +3 Sp.Atk to a teammate if you aren't prepared.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Volbeat is pretty underrated I'd say. Prankster is a very good ability, and the ability to Baton Pass Tail Glow shouldn't be underestimated. Give it a Focus Sash and it's hard to prevent it from passing +3 Sp.Atk to a teammate if you aren't prepared.
Anything with prankster can be a real nuisance. Especially in doubles.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I didn't mean Hypno or Snorlax, I meant a pokemon that looks weak but actually powerful.
Ah. Well... I like to use Snorlaxes that know Immunity. Comes in handy sometimes against teams and/or trainers that rely on poisoning. Or basically using any kind of ability that helps to protect. That can be helpful. Damp, and other abilities like it.

Love Compound Eyes since that helps with accuracy. Contrary... a pretty nice trolling ability and I kind of view Inkay as a bit of a sleeper Pokemon. Clear Body is good too.

Also... I love to use confuse ray in Pokemon Colosseum. I really love to fool around against other trainers in that game and Umbreon and Espeon are good at it.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Anything with prankster can be a real nuisance. Especially in doubles.

Oh definitely. I've been experimenting lately with Prankster Meowstic in doubles. I'm using it as a Trick Room setter next to Z-Power Trick Shuckle, primarily because it has Prankster Charm to buff Shuckle's attack stat on the second turn before Shuckle attacks. Turn 1 is setup turn, and on turn 2 I can already attack with a +3 attack Power Tricked Shuckle in Trick Room, which is an attack stat of 775 at level 50. And if the enemy has Intimidate (which is quite common in doubles with Salamence and Landorus being so popular), Shuckle reaches +4 attack instead, or 930 attack at level 50, it's insane. Meowstic is also the only pokémon with Prankster Quick Guard, which means it can always get Quick Guard up before an opponent uses Fake Out, regardless of speed stat.

Aromatisse is also a decent one, a bit underrated as a Trick Room setter. Although it's not as bulky as Porygon2 or Cresselia, a lot of people rely on either Taunt, Encore, or dark-type nukes (like Black Hole Eclipse Tyranitar) to stop Trick Room, and Aromatisse doesn't care about any of that. Aromatisse is particularly valuable to set up Trick Room next to a partner that also has some kind of setup (like Belly Drum Snorlax or Curse Tyranitar), as it also blocks Taunt and Encore from affecting its partner with its Aroma Veil ability, and Aromatisse can also provide healing support with Heal Pulse.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Porygon Z. It looks unable to function properly but it is a powerful Pokémon. Hell I've used physical Porygon Z with Z Sharpen and Last Resort and it swept.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
farfetch'd, bravebird, leaf blade, dark attack and first impression mixed with a 90 base atk and defiant. it can take a few people by surprise in the right conditions.

I traded an Ursaring in the global trade and got a Farfetch'd with inner focus. (Boo!)
It took until US/UM, but that duck actually has potential if you give him a stick! He is going to crit for days and it will hurt.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I traded an Ursaring in the global trade and got a Farfetch'd with inner focus. (Boo!)
It took until US/UM, but that duck actually has potential if you give him a stick! He is going to crit for days and it will hurt.

yeah, he was the butt of the gen1 jokes but dont overlook him. i had 1 double battle with Fetch'd in the lead and they had had focused in on him for half the battle. had a focus sash as fetch'd has the best stats to survive neutral hits (joke) but its very situational.