• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best "Unofficial" battle of each series?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
which would you say are the best non-gym/league/trial/g.trial/contest/other official competitions (don, battle royale, whirl cup, etc) in each series? These battles tend to be overlooked, but still, nice to get them some recognition or opinions:
IMO:
OS: metapod vs metapod ash vs that one scizor guy in johto (heracross vs scizor) It's always great to see heracross in action, and it was around this time that they started caring more about the battles and focusing more on them, and it was overall very fun
AG: ash vs gary (technically ash vs may too, as the terracota contest was unofficial, but eh), it was just a great way to introduce ash to sinnoh and bring him back to the ground after winning the BF, and it also worked to improve their dynamic after their rivalry's conclusion
DP: ash vs paul lake acuity, solid action, the only pre-league 6v6 we've ever had, chimchar's evolution, good strategies, and led to ash's character development, though it's kinda cheating to use this as they did hire a referee and all, so if not that, either paul vs cynthia because I loved seeing paul get wrecked and cynthia's introduction (well, I can't remember that well if this was her introduction, but still) was very well done, and it told us "yep, she's the champion"
BW: Not sure here, but probably ash and cilan vs juniper and bianca, some good dynamics between both teams, badass crustle, and it was an interesting concept for the trade-evolved pokemon to fight together
XY: Ash vs Diantha (round 2) or Ash vs Alain (round 2), the former pretty much told us ash was at the top of his game and finally after 19 years could go toe to toe with a champion, which was an amazing sight to see, not to mention the development of the ash-greninja arc and some solid animation and choreography, while the latter was the started said ash-greninja arc with a bang, by having ash and greninja being able to make alain and charizard finally feel excited against an opponent, while they themselves were able to prove how much stronger they had become, but in the end not being able to maintain the transformation and passing out, which while spoiled by the second preview was still shocking
SM (as of now): Ash vs Gladion (round 3), It took long, but we finally got to see the development between ash and gladion's rivalry, we got to see them try to outsmart each other at points judging from their previous encounters, we got some great choreography using the environment and the effects of moves, and even some setup for hapu's development (though the animation for devastating drake was meh)

Kintaro

Banned
What's the point of listing battles against Gym leaders, main rivals, tournaments, Elite 4 or other important trainers? I thought this thread was going to be about battles against regular filler characters. Even if the former isn't important it's not unofficial.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Hands down Ash vs Diantha round 2. An amazing battle that saw Ash really push a champion. Ash vs Alain second battle was really good too

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
1.Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity Battle 6 on 6 (DP)

2.Ash vs Alain 2nd Battle (XY)

3.May vs Drew w/ Nurse Joy as the announcer (AG)

4.Ash vs Shingo (OS)

5.Ash vs Trip 2nd Battle 5 on 5 (BW)

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Scizor vs Heracross
Ash vs Diantha II
Ash vs Alain II
Pikachu vs Raichu from DP
Snorlax vs Fraligatr from johto sumo championship
Ash vs May
Ash vs Paul from lake acuity
Paul vs Cynthia
Ash vs Gladion
Dawn vs Maylene

nickdt

1.Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity Battle 6 on 6 (DP)

2.Ash vs Alain 2nd Battle (XY)

3.May vs Drew w/ Nurse Joy as the announcer (AG)

4.Ash vs Shingo (OS)

5.Ash vs Trip 2nd Battle 5 on 5 (BW)

Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity was official, since it had an officially acknowledge Pokemon league referee. So that one doesn't count.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Ash vs Paul Lake Acuity was official, since it had an officially acknowledge Pokemon league referee. So that one doesn't count.
It doesn't matter who was refereeing because it's not an "official" battle as in it's not for a gym badge/frontier symbol/league trophy/contest ribbon etc.Ash vs Agatha/Ash vs Fantina (1st battle)/Paul vs Brandon weren't official battles either since they weren't for the items I mentioned,they were just exhibitions with nothing to gain from.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
OS: Ash vs the guy that owned a Scizor back in OS Johto, Heracross vs Scizor
AG: Ash vs May, Sceptile vs Blaziken
DP: Ash vs Paul at the Lake Acuity
BW: Ash vs Iris, Charizard vs Dragonite
XY: Ash vs Alain's 2nd battle

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
...Doesn't a standard rival battle feel like a cheat answer? Everyone's going to say Ash vs Paul/Gary/Gladion etc, lists would look more unique with them excluded

Anyways...
Dawn vs Maylene
Cilan vs Trip (A bit cheaty? But it was awesome!)
Ash vs Drake (The E4 Drake, the Orange League Drake was very much official and thus doesn't count)
Dawn vs Lucian
Ash vs May (Unofficial contest so it counts)
Ash vs Agatha
Paul vs Cynthia
Paul vs Brandon
Cilan vs Skyla
Brock vs Kiawe
Ash vs Misty (The Mega battle)
Ash vs Samurai

I did list off gym leaders but those are as official as Ash/Paul facing E4 members and champions :p

And I would like to say another but I haven't really seen where the dub's at lately
I kinda have a weakness for seeing Ash(And others) facing E4 members and Champions, and characters who aren't on the League challenge facing gym leaders/Frontier Brains. And characters fighting other character's rivals, those battles are always very nice. I've only left off Diantha as I'm still annoyed they made Greninja lost to Sawyer right after, way to be consistent... -_-

Hopefully Galar can deliver more of that, since we'll likely actually have an E4 established when the games/anime begins!

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
One underrated one people don't talk about much is May's Squirtle Vs. that talking Scizor in that one Battle Frontier filler. The little girl who owned it and they battled on top of the Hypno mansion from the first season. I liked the way Squirtle slammed it's shell into Scizor's chin/neck, lol

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Ash vs Iris when Ash used his Charizard and Iris used Dragonite. The animation and tactics were a 10 out of 10 and it sucks that N had to butt in to ruin the fun.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hassam versus Heracross in early Jouto impressed me when I was younger. It was just fascinating to see Satoshi overcome a trainer who used statistics and logic to win battles, especially since Heracross had hardly any training, yet it still defeated Hassam.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
Ash vs. Misty when they were battling to see who would get Totodile. I loved it when Pikachu faced Togepi and lost because he didn't want to hurt his friend.

That was another good one, although what I liked the most wasn't the Pikachu versus Togepy battle, but rather Nyoromo's evolution since it made up for Kasumi not winning Waninoko.