• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Unreleased DW Pokemon

Which UNRELEASED Dream World Pokemon would benefit most from its Dream World ability?

• Lightning Rod Zapdos

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Sheer Force Feraligatr

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Multiscale Lugia

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Regenerator Ho-Oh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Justified Lucario

• Contrary Serperior

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Prankster Liepard

• Regenerator Reuniclus

• Shadow Tag Chandelure

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
As I'm sure you all know, a contest was recently started on the Pokemon Global Link that allows fans to vote for their favorite 001-493 Pokemon, and the winner will be released with its Dream World ability following the contest. Many people will view this as a means of determining the community's favorite Pokemon, but to the more adept and cunning of us (i.e. competitive players), this is an opportunity to get an unreleased DW Pokemon released.

Outside of the strict boundaries of the contest, this idea got me thinking; out of all of the Pokemon, not just the pre-Unova ones, which unreleased Pokemon has the best DW ability for its strengths and weaknesses? Which Pokemon being released would be of the most benefit to the competitive community? In short, what Pokemon with an unreleased Dream World ability would be the most blessed by its new ability if it were released?

The nine in the poll represent what I personally think are the top nine, with an "Other" slot for any oversights I've made. I figured I'd give some rationale however to back up my choices.

1. Lightning Rod Zapdos: ;145;

Zapdos has always been a solid, reliable sweeper, temporarily knocked into UU thanks to Thundurus however, and can also play the role of a physically defensive wall thanks to SubRoost. He has good typing and good STABs, with a movepool filled with everything he needs to do his job and not much extraneous stuff that he doesn't. But with a Stealth Rock weakness and no way to boost his Special Attack to complement his walling abilities, Lightning Rod would be a great benefit to him. It would add Electric to his impressive list of safe switch-ins, would give him that Special Attack boost, and would allow for useful pairings with the likes of Tentacruel, Gyarados or Skarmory. However, it would be illegal with one of the most pivotal moves in his arsenal: Heat Wave.

2. Sheer Force Feraligatr: ;160;

Feraligatr has always lived in Gyarados' shadow. They run almost exactly the same basic strategy, with the exception being that Gyarados can also run a bulky set while Feraligatr can pretty much only be a DDer. Sheer Force would give Feraligatr a significant boost to give him a leg up on his older brother. While Sheer Force would not be enough of a kick to bump him up out of UU, it would still make him a very real powerhouse in that tier. He has lots of moves that can utilize it as well, including STAB Waterfall, Crunch, Ice Punch and Rock Slide.

3. Multiscale Lugia: ;249;

Lugia has absolutely massive mixed defensive stats, and a very high Speed stat for his tier. He also has nearly every move in his arsenal that he could want, including Roost, Whirlwind and Dragon Tail. Though he is somewhat outclassed by Arceus, Multiscale could change all that easily. Just look at what Multiscale did for Dragonite, a Pokemon that previously had applications as a bulky attacker, but that has now become one of the most fearsome tanks in OU; Lugia would go from being one of the most unstoppable walls in ubers to being very likely the best with the addition of Multiscale. Roost would allow him to abuse it by recovering back to his maximum just like with Dragonite, and his ability to utilize Leftovers, unlike Arceus, would become even more of a prominent benefit in his quest to stay at maximum HP to activate Multiscale. This is an ability very obviously tailor-made for this Pokemon.

4. Regenerator Ho-Oh: ;250;

Get it? Because it's a phoenix? Ho-Oh has always been one of the most prominent attackers in ubers, and he has the defensive stats to play as a solid tank as well. Being a Flying-type helped him, since it gave him Roost to further help his tanking abilities, but Flying/Fire gave him a nasty 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Regenerator could fix all that by essentially neutralizing the damage taken from Stealth Rock. He would be able to come in and strike hard without having to fear entry hazards quite as much. However, much like Zapdos' predicament, Roost would be illegal on a Regenerator set; he would gain one form of healing, but lose another.

5. Justified Lucario: ;448;

Lucario has always been a solidly OU Pokemon thanks to its ability to run a multitude of sets. SD allows it to be a physical attacker, NP this generation allows it to build on its naturally slightly higher Special Attack and be a special attacker, Agility helps bolster its sub-par Speed stat, and an extremely diverse moveset gives it a wide range of coverage to pick and choose from. You never exactly know what you're going to be facing when you fight a Lucario. It also has very useful typing in Fighting/Steel, albeit not the best defensive stats in the world to back up its Steel side. The one thing it has always been lacking in was Ability however; Steadfast only activates upon the occasional flinch and Inner Focus is inferior to Steadfast in every way. While boosting its Speed via ability is useful, it only activates on occasion. Justified would see much more use as it is easier to activate, meaning while the Attack boost would be less useful than the Speed boost, it would happen more often. Given that he also dual resists Dark, it would work more or less like Flash Fire or Lightning Rod, since he would be taking almost no damage from a Dark-type attack. Justified would fill Lucario's only real hole in his armor.

6. Contrary Serperior: :497:

Serperior currently sits in the dark nether region of NU due to being an extremely bland, run-of-the-mill Grass-type "blah" Pokemon. He doesn't get Chlorophyll, he doesn't get any particularly interesting moves that other Grass-types don't also get aside from Coil, he doesn't have interesting dual-typing, he's just yet another Grass-type with nothing to set him apart. Enter Contrary mixed with Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm is an extremely strong STAB attack that most Grass-types nowadays get; the problem is that it lowers your Special Attack by 2 stages, meaning it can't be used for an extended period of time. Serperior already only has a measly 75 in his Special Attack stat, so after using Leaf Storm, he'd basically be forced to switch. Contrary would turn that -2 into a +2, essentially giving him a single move which both does tremendous STAB damage, but also boosts him as much as a Nasty Plot would. That is totally awesome. Thanks to his typing, naturally decent defensive stats and his actually very good Speed, Leaf Storm + Contrary would easily make him a premier stat-boosting tank. I could definitely see him going to at least UU when Contrary is released, if not low OU; slap a Choice Scarf or, better yet, Choice Specs on him and it'd be off to the races for old Smugleaf.

7. Prankster Liepard: :510:

Ahh Prankster... the ability which propelled Thundurus into ubers and which makes even Sableye and Murkrow look good. Liepard is another NU denizen with horrible defenses, bad defensive typing and not even a particularly useful Speed stat, but it does get Prankster, and it has plenty of status moves to utilize it. It also gets Nasty Plot and Hone Claws, which would be effected by Prankster, and Torment, which could have some interesting effects. Probably not the best unreleased DW Pokemon out there, but Prankster is still Prankster.

8. Regenerator Reuniclus: :579:

Reuniclus is an odd Pokemon, as it can legitimately claim to be a Psychic-type tank. Good defensive stats, access to Recover and great Special Attack, but Psychic typing. He also has a very good ability in Magic Guard which prevents damage from indirect damage like entry hazards, weather and LO. Regenerator has one thing up on Magic Guard though: while Magic Guard prevents damage from those things, Regenerator can be used to heal damage from anything. Probably also not the best unreleased DW Pokemon out there, but it's a valid candidate.

9. Shadow Tag Chandelure: :609:

Shadow Tag is one of the best abilities in the game, as it prevents your opponent from switching, even if you yourself switch your Shadow Tag user out. It is a significant part of what made Wobbuffet uber for two generations. It is entirely possible it would go to ubers as well if it were ever released, and it would probably be the final nail in the coffin for Ferrothorn. If it somehow didn't go to uber, it would at the very least knock Magnezone down a tier, as its role as a premiere Steel-type trapper/killer would be outdone by Shadow Tag Chandelure. Flash Fire is a useful ability, but it pales in comparison to Shadow Tag; if paired with Calm Mind, it could actually function like Flash Fire as well anyway.

Honorable mentions, as far as my own list is concerned, go to Unburden Hitmonlee, Flash Fire Entei, Technician Breloom, Moody Glalie, Moxie Salamence, Ice Body Regice, Iron Fist Conkeldurr, Skill Link Cinccino, Shadow Tag Gothitelle, Regenerator Amoonguss and No Guard Golurk. If you feel there's a good one I've left off, vote for "Other" and mention it as a reply. If we collectively had the ability to release any DW Pokemon and make it widely available, what would be the best option for us to vote on as a collective? What benefits most from its DW ability?

No mention of Ditto? Well ignoring the Pokemon already in Ubers I would say Chandelure. Slap a Choice Scarf on it and 2/3rds of Pokemon in the game can be slaughtered. I'd be surprised if its OU more than a week before being banned.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
1- Zapdos will prob be OU when he gets released.

2- Meh, Gyara can set up safely thanks to intimidate, but i guess it'd be cool

3- It's like Dragonite, tho you'd have to keep Rocks away from him to make it work

4- Same w/ Lugia, w/o rocks, he can be a great physical attacker (an even better one) than he is now

5- Lucario, meh, i'd rather have Steadfast, since you have to predict when a dark type move is coming

6- BEST. ****ING. ****. EVER. Leaf Storm/HP Fire/Sub/Seed will prob be the set when he's released, walled only by dragons/heatran

7- Liepard, maybe in RU/NU he can abuse it, still to frail for OU or even UU

8- MAGIC GUARD, why else would you use him, magic guard is better.

9- Like BH said, prob banned almost as soon as it's OU again

Aegon

Contrary Serperior is amazing. Leaf Storm is devastating with that ability. I think it'll help Serperior the most.

Noxe

Veteran Trainer
Zapdos would be amazing, and while heatwave wouldn't be legal now, whos to say move tutors won't save the day when gray/grey comes out?

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
I would say Mamoswine but that's been released (just).

I don't think Serperior will be all that good in OU anyway, considering it can be easily KOed before it sets up (or after by dragons).

Zapdos will be good if we get Heat Wave back.

Chandy will be fun with Shadow Tag, I used it a bit in (standard) OU recently with Scarf, it was good then, it must be even better with shadow tag. (As BH Said)

With all these big threats I think Exca might come back down again (it probably is anyway).

Why isn't ditto on the list?

rocky505

Serperior with Cont is very overrated. before it becomes a threat it needs better coverage the thing has the worst movepool of all the starters.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Ditto, Lugia, Chandelure, Serphy, and Ho-Oh are the five that I see getting the best out of their DW ability. If Ho-Oh gets Fake Out from the DW then it could be the Uber equivalent of Mienshao.

For the other Pokemon, I either think they're too frail (Purleon) or they have much better abilities (Reniclus)

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Zapdos was my vote. it would fit in well, especially as a Rain counter. I'm fairly confident that Heat Wave will become a tutored move whenever the next game comes out, so its current illegality is not a concern to me.

1) Already described.

2) Ice Punch as of right now would be illegal, although it will probably become a tutored move. Still though, I would think it would work best (and make OU) only if it has DD too, which means it needs to be breedable...

3) Basically Defensive Dnite on Steroids. It will be a b!tch to take down. Already has Recover, so loss of Roost is not a problem.

4) I think Lugia would be the superior choice between the two, but it does add strength to its sweeper sets to improve longevity. Better than Pressure for sweeping.

5) Not really excited on this one. Although it does mean I can pull off evil Rilou sweeps.

6) Serperior still has no moves.It has Leaf Storm and.............Hidden Power? *Does Cartman Na Na Na Na dance as he switches in Fire/Steel/Flying*

7) It's interesting at least. Could be a fun lower-tier troll now that Sableye got banned to BL2.

8) Magic Guard is def Superior to Regenerator, especially when you have Recover anyway.

9) It would be able to make a strong impact on OU right now if we somehow got it.

Kind of surprised Salamence missed the list. Also Typlosion has some use with Flash Fire.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
^ w/ 113 base speed, he outspeeds everything in OU excpet deoxys-s.

steel, HP fire (excpet heatran, which i already said would wall it)

flying, if serperior gets enough Leaf Strorms in, won't matter when hit w/ HP fire (unless you're a dragon)

like I said, only dragons/heatran can stop him, that or getting safe switches w/ scarfers

Ilan

If somehow contrary serperior gets superpower/close combat too it will be the end of his NU days

liepard is awesome with prankster it can be an awesome lead paralyze stuff taunt sucker punch combo, fake out with focus sash it WORKS (tried it)

I am waiting for salamance and for shadow tag gothitelle (once got swept by this on PO) no guard golurk is nice too it got dynamic punch so it can confuse stuff :)

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
No mention of Ditto? Well ignoring the Pokemon already in Ubers I would say Chandelure. Slap a Choice Scarf on it and 2/3rds of Pokemon in the game can be slaughtered. I'd be surprised if its OU more than a week before being banned.

I say two weeks.

Anyway, with Ditto and Chandelure released with their DW abilities, they become the two best revenge killers in the game. Ditto is probably going to be a better revenge killer, but Chandelure will overcentralize the metagame more than Thundurus and Excadrill ever did combined.

Zachmac

Ditto would benefit the most. Going from useless too amazing.

Most of the pokemon you listed are already good.

Ilan

Ditto would benefit the most. Going from useless too amazing.

Most of the pokemon you listed are already good.

How impostor works in doubles/triples?!?

and how is h a good revenge killer? can it copy boosts? if it copy stats so it's a speed tie and you can lose it with 48 Base HP...

still don't get it

Zachmac

^It can copy boost and all stats but HP, and if it's holding the choice scarf, is always faster(though it doesn't copy item boost, so it'll be at a speed tie against other choice scarfers).

I think in double/triples, it transforms into the faster enemy, but I'm not sure.

Aurath8

How impostor works in doubles/triples?!?

and how is h a good revenge killer? can it copy boosts? if it copy stats so it's a speed tie and you can lose it with 48 Base HP...

still don't get it

Opponent used boosting move until it's at +6!

You switched in Imposter Ditto holding a Choice Scarf!

It copied all it's moves, stats, basically everything except HP!

Ditto sweeps like it's the Winter Olympic Curling Finals!

Imposter probably chooses a random opponent to copy in doubles and triples.

Zachmac

I'll admit ditto is overrated though, but I've tried it on DW OU on PO, and it's still pretty good.

Vandslaux

If Vulpix wasn't banned, Meganium in Sun would be as much of a ***** to take down as HydraRest Vaporeon, if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.