• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best version?

Best version?

• Gold

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Crystal

Votes: 31 67.4%

• Total voters

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
What is the best version in the 2nd generation?

Vatti

The One and Only
I'd say Crystal. Animations, cleaner look, choice of gender, etc. Gold might be beter for those who like ho-oh tho. In Crystal and Silver you gotta catch all three dogs to get him. So people might not like that.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Crystal version is my favourite game in the franchise so.... Crystal.

Unoin

I'd say Crystal. Animations, cleaner look, choice of gender, etc. Gold might be beter for those who like ho-oh tho. In Crystal and Silver you gotta catch all three dogs to get him. So people might not like that.

Well I've never caught any of the dogs and I still caught Ho-oh in Silver:D Crystal is my favourite but I think Silver has the best sprites

Vatti

The One and Only
Well I've never caught any of the dogs and I still caught Ho-oh in Silver:D Crystal is my favourite but I think Silver has the best sprites

Really? then i guess its just in Crystal you gotta catch em all

Estellise

peachy
I've always preferred Lugia to Ho-oh, so Silver Version. However, Crystal is the best out of the three; I love Kris, animated sprites, and Suicune. :p

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Crystal is my favorite since it had a lot of features that Gold & Silver lacked and introduced many new things. The best thing being that Suicune wasn't a roamer anymore. But its not perfect, being unable to get a Lugia with Aeroblast and Ho-oh without Sacred Fire always annoyed me. It also lacks wild Mareep, which let me down when I played it. But I still think it's the best of the three.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Silver version without a doubt. It had better sprites than Gold version, and the version exclusive Pokemon were cooler in my opinion (I loved being able to find wild Delibird and Phanpy). Encountering Lugia early was also a bonus.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Even though I've spent more time playing Gold than the other Gen II games, I would have to pick Crystal as being the best version for having features that weren't in Gold/Silver like the Suicune plot, Battle Tower, etc.

auteur

Fossil freak
I've only played Crystal once, but it was enough to clearly stand above Gold and Silver in my eyes. It's the definitive Gen II version.

wc662

Green Goblin
Crystal by far. only real downside is it wasn't playable on the super game boy for snes

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I like Crystal the best. I almost completed the whole poke dex

Crystal6

Gen.2 Shiny Breeder
Crystal because: There is a new game in the Radio Tower thing that lets you get rare candies and other poke-drugs. You get the Mysterious Egg from the Daycare which means free pokemon with a higher chance of being shiny, and you get a Dratini with Extreme Speed from the Dragon's Den.

The only downside I can think of is lack of Lugia/Ho-oh and other silver/gold exclusive pokemon.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I only ever had Silver, but after watching a certain someone's let's play of it, and from what I remember seeing on my friend's cartridge years ago, I would say Crystal. It was an improvement, especially as it gave a bit of a story, had animated sprites, a choice of gender, some scenery upgrades in some places... and I think that's it. Not much else to say, really.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's a tie between Gold and Silver for me (it depends on which Pokemon you like), but since you're throwing Crystal in there, Crystal is definitely the best, they added on some new features and stuff. I don't like how they handled the legendaries in Crystal, though.

Really? then i guess its just in Crystal you gotta catch em all

It is just Crystal. Here's how it works in all three versions:

In GS, all three of the Beast trio are runners, but you don't need any of them for Lugia and Ho-oh. You get your version mascot (Ho-oh in Gold, Lugia in Silver) after defeating Team Rocket in Radio Tower and the other one when you get the Rainbow Wing/Silver Wing from an old man in Pewter City.

In Crystal, only Raikou and Entei are runners, while Suicune is fought in Tin Tower after defeating Team Rocket in Radio Tower. You then need all three of the Beast trio (and to defeat the Elite 4 IIRC) to get the Rainbow Wing from the monks and climb Tin Tower to catch Ho-oh. Meanwhile you get the Silver Wing from the old man in Pewter City and catch Lugia then.

Last edited: