• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

best video game bad guys

pikaskipper

Blue Screen Of Death
King dedede. Kirby has been beating him for years on end. Has he had enough?

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Hades - Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Demise - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Grima - Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Steven - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA)
Bowser - Super Mario Bros. (Original) (NES)
Chaos Chimera - Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)

Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)

^ ROFL

Abstinence Pistols

Solidus Snake from Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of the best. He could arguably be considered the hero of the game.

Revolver Ocelot is another good one, even if he's not necessarily the main villain. Pretty much any semi-evil character from MGS, really.

epic mew

Zorark + mew = death
Fawful, From mario, Even though in PiT he was good as a shop owner, In ss and Bis he was a villain, Main villains assistant and main villain.

Keizaal

bring me to life
Andrew Ryan - BioShock
Frank Fontaine - BioShock
Sofia Lamb - BioShock 2
Mehrunes Dagon - TES IV: Oblivion
Al Mualim - Assassin's Creed
Haytham Kenway - Assassin's Creed 3
Tom Nook - Animal Crossing [LOL]
Ghestis - Pokemon Black/White 2
[Liked him more as a villian in the second ones more than the first]

What is with the hype for Fawful? He was AWFUL and he was so ANNOYING. Cheesy name, too.

Peter Quill

star-lord
The Ashfords from Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I really don't feel like it should be explained, they're just plain awesome.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
RAAM from GoW is pretty awesome I think, he is a brutal leader and is a relatively difficult final boss.

I also love Dr. Robotnik/Eggman of the Sonic The Hedgehog series - he provides comic relief, has cool robots and is a (sorta)evil genius!

Hey Micky!

Glados from Portal (and Portal 2) is an amazing villain. The way her dialogue is phrased, the backhanded compliments and then downright insultingness can't help but rise a smirk from me. Although my favourite lines of her are the ones that truly carry massive overtones of Sinisterness. Portal 2's trailers did a great job of conveying that stuff. At the end of one of the single player trailers: "I think we can put our differences behind us... for science... you monster" is beautifully delivered in emphasising that urge for revenge whilst the co-op trailer ends with what I think is perhaps the evillest thing I've heard a villain can say: "Don't disappoint me - or I'll make you wish you could die."

Glados aside, I'm a real sucker for the "charismatic villain." Someone else brought him up but Vaas from Far Cry 3 is a masterpiece of villainy choice. I think the best villains are the ones who make you feel like they are a part of you and Vaas does that wonderfully. As you go around that island enjoying hacking up pirates and mercenaries, he does a great job of illustrating the absurdity and barbarism of it all. And of course, his dialogue is captivating.

In a similar vein, and again I think someone else mentioned him: The Joker in Arkham Asylum. Whilst he doesn't have that same element of 'feeling like he's a part of you', his dialogue is absolutely captivating. In a way he's a bit more like Glados than Vaas in a sense that I genuinely enjoyed just listening to him, even though he was barraging insults at Batman in much the same way Glados would barrage Chell.

Also, pity on you all for not mentioning this guy. The original villain. The ultimate rival. Gary F. Oak (or Blue or whatever name you gave him - there's a thousand comments that illustrates the fun that can be had giving him a rude name)! In the history of video games has there ever been a guy more infuriating? Always one step ahead of you, always picking fights with you after you've had to slog through an army of Team Rocket Grunt, and then every time you beat him he just brushes it off, condescends you and walks off seemingly unscathed and undeterred.

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
I like Bowser from Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series. He's really one of the most funniest villains that I have ever seen, apart from GLaDOS.

I also like Zero and Zero Two from Kirby Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64 respectively. Sure, Giygas gives kids nightmares. But heck, at least he doesn't bleed. IN A GAME FILLED WITH FLUFFINESS I MIGHT ADD!!!

Dwlr

Banned
I actually liked Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2, he wasn't all that developed and kind of stereotypical, but his attitude and remarks made him a fairly interested character IMO.

Solidus Snake from Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of the best. He could arguably be considered the hero of the game.

Revolver Ocelot is another good one, even if he's not necessarily the main villain. Pretty much any semi-evil character from MGS, really.

To be fair though, the way MGS builds its characters, there aren't many that are strictly good or evil so it kind of goes both ways.
Except Volgin, but he's special.

I love Hazama from BlazBlue because he's so over-the-top evil (especially if you're more or less up to date with the light novels, God he's so friggin' crazy).

Also, the main antagonist from Persona 4 (I don't want to spoil who it is, but I think people who've played the game know who I'm talking about); They're so wonderfully executed, not to mention the reveal makes your skin crawl when everything they do prior turns into some serious fridge-horror.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
Well, for one, Grima, the Fallen Dragon from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Not only is he a bad guy, but he's you in the game as well. He hails from the future that is to be, where you, the vessel, accept his into your body, revivng it and laying waste to the land ultimately. The children of the warriors come back from the future as well to try and change the events that lead up to it, whereas Grima follows them to try and stop it. You find out that the only way to defeat him is by his own hand-that he has to kill himself. Because he is you, you realize that by killing him yourself, he would be killed by his own hand. But, by doing so, you would be erased from existence as well, similar to the problem in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness. In the final battle, you have this thought residing in your mind throughout the match; kill the dragon, and be erased forever, or let your friend deal the final blow, and merely put him to sleep?

I'll think of some others.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
The Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Honestly, I think he's my favorite villain in anything, not just video games.

The guy is not only a badass swordsman (at the time of Path of Radiance, he was probably the strongest human character in all of Tellius), but also a tactical genius and a looming menace for the party for most of the first game. He kills Greil (who we're all shown is pretty much nigh-unbeatable, even despite his crippled arm) without even a scratch, beats Ranulf (who is the strongest Laguz character we've seen in combat up 'till that point) almost effortlessly, and kicks Ike around like a child twice before his eventual 'defeat'. Even then, his boss fight is essentially "I have to get lucky with Aether within the first five turns, or I'm screwed" on Normal difficulty, even with Mist's healing backing Ike up.

Then come Radiant Dawn, it's revealed that not only did the guy let Ike win (and Ike had been shown to be up for the title of "strongest human character" in the series by the time they fought, having kicked the stuffing out of two of Daein's Four Riders and a Dragon Laguz), but he also reveals that he's been dancing on a tightrope for the last god-only-knows-how-many years (at least ten, probably closer to fifteen) playing the part of General Zelgius (Bengion's greatest hero), as well as the Black Knight, without anyone figuring him out. In addition to that, as Zelgius, he shows himself to be absolutely brilliant (his skill as a commander and his experience even allow him to outmaneuver the tactical genius of Soren), and makes everyone (including the player) think of him as a decent guy and loyal soldier who fights for his country and sovereign with the utmost devotion, while in reality he's essentially the exact opposite (minus the brilliance). He was so skilled that Ike actually thought of him as a teacher and learned a lot just from fighting him, despite the fact that they were mortal enemies. And he wasn't even the final villain of the duology.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about him is that his boss fight in Radiant Dawn is pathetically easy if you give Ike a Hammer before the fight, because the blessing on his armor is gone by then and you no longer have to use Ragnell to damage him. Actually, it's kind of just a letdown in general because he has the Nihil skill, and so your skills won't activate. The only way to make it interesting is to not use Nihil yourself, but that leaves you open to a possible OTK from his Eclipse skill.

Also... whoever said Gangrel from FE: Awakening seriously needs their villain meter recalibrated. He's a basic expy of Ashnard. Hell, they even have the same title, "The Mad King".

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I haven't played as many games as I wanted. Very few, indeed. But still, I have my favorites.
Kefka, from FFVI. Infel, from Ar Tonelico 2. St Eva, from Breath of Fire 2. Majora, from Legend of Zelda. And the last, but not least; Lavos, from Chrono Trigger.

First, Kefka's personality not only is amazing but pretty unique. I'm yet to see a villain great as him. Its uniqueness is superb and how he evolves in the game as a character. Indeed, I would never THINK he would got so awesome.

For those that have played Ar Tonelico, everyone knows how Infel is great. Not only did she tried to "save" humans, but she had sung for it. "Now, I will be happy to turn these praises into a world for the sake of love".
There's a lot more, but I sure would spoil a lot and I doubt anyone here is even interested...

Then, St Eva (Evan), from BoF. Man, Evan was great. Not only was him great, but his minions too. His plot was amazing! I've never thought they could use the religion subject so well into a game. Not for the good side, but the opposite. Also, it's a quite old game.

Majora is intriguing. That's what I most love in him. I'm yet to discover his reasons and who, or what, he is. A demon, a child, both, a God, mischievous or just retarded. It's really intriguing for me.

And Lavos is... Lavos? Do I have give reasons? Everyone here, probably, have played it. It consumed the world little by little while remaining unnoticed. Really... I love that guy.

The Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Honestly, I think he's my favorite villain in anything, not just video games.

The guy is not only a badass swordsman (at the time of Path of Radiance, he was probably the strongest human character in all of Tellius), but also a tactical genius and a looming menace for the party for most of the first game. He kills Greil (who we're all shown is pretty much nigh-unbeatable, even despite his crippled arm) without even a scratch, beats Ranulf (who is the strongest Laguz character we've seen in combat up 'till that point) almost effortlessly, and kicks Ike around like a child twice before his eventual 'defeat'. Even then, his boss fight is essentially "I have to get lucky with Aether within the first five turns, or I'm screwed" on Normal difficulty, even with Mist's healing backing Ike up.

Then come Radiant Dawn, it's revealed that not only did the guy let Ike win (and Ike had been shown to be up for the title of "strongest human character" in the series by the time they fought, having kicked the stuffing out of two of Daein's Four Riders and a Dragon Laguz), but he also reveals that he's been dancing on a tightrope for the last god-only-knows-how-many years (at least ten, probably closer to fifteen) playing the part of General Zelgius (Bengion's greatest hero), as well as the Black Knight, without any figuring him out. In addition to that, as Zelgius, he shows himself to be absolutely brilliant (his skill as a commander and his experience even allow him to outmaneuver the tactical genius of Soren), and makes everyone (including the player) think of him as a decent guy and loyal soldier who fights for his country and sovereign with the utmost devotion, while in reality he's essentially the exact opposite (minus the brilliance). He was so skilled that Ike actually thought of him as a teacher and learned a lot just from fighting him, despite the fact that they were mortal enemies.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about him is that his boss fight in Radiant Dawn is pathetically easy if you give Ike a Hammer before the fight, because the blessing on his armor is gone by then and you no longer have to use Ragnell to damage him. Actually, it's kind of just a letdown in general because he has the Nihil skill, and so your skills won't activate. The only way to make it interesting is to not use Nihil yourself, but that leaves you open to a possible OTK from his Eclipse skill.

Master Eon... You certainly made me want to play FE now...

AlxK9207

Creative Co-Author
Jaguarandi - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON series.
Man, is this guy a real beast! In the original game, if the bazooka and 10-way lasers don't get you, the trap bombs will! (ICYDK: the trap bomb is a floating mine that turns into a four-way missile blast the moment it's deployed) In Virtual-On MARZ, this guy is just as brutal. His Right Weapon is rather difficult to dodge, and the shoulder lasers are just as big a pain. Plus, it's painful when he gives you a good smack! Plus, this mutated Raiden phantom VR also looks ridiculously cool!

Dymon - Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON MARZ
Their dialogue in the English version of the game (of which I have a copy) definitely tells you that they mean business. They're also arrogant orb aliens with a serious hate-on for humanity. Dymon is the residual consciousness of the alien race that created the Moongate. Shapeless Dymon infest the hearts of men, feeding on their pride and greed and anger. But, there are those who (somehow) knew of Dymon's threat to humanity. So, Tangram was created. But, the head of the 8th Plant Flesh Refoe, Mr. Refoe, was assassinated, and Tangram was banished into Meta-Cyberspace by those loyal to Dymon. They also manipulate the cyber syndicates and warmongers that working with them would be profitable, and even turning them against the MARZ investigative organization, whose true purpose was to destroy Dymon and to reclaim Tangram. Their hatred for mankind because of their destructive nature, lead them to create their most devastating weapon; the Anti-Matter Fortress, which they intend to use to destroy everything. The reason why they were so bitter, is because that Dymon was forced to lurk shapeless in Meta-Cyberspace, possibly from losing their bodies for misusing the V-Crystals. The main Dymon orb guys are nasty in groups. The Dymon Stoopa units are just as painful to have to destroy, if you're not careful. The Dymon Arm is a hard-to-beat piece of work and could even spawn the standard Dymon orbs. The Dymon Worm is just as difficult to fight off. They have all sorts of nasty tricks they pull in battle. They're also the guys behind Z-Gradt, and the Molton attack drones.

Dr. Nefarious - Ratchet & Clank series
I only have Up Your Arsenal, but this guy's probably the best comedic villain I've ever fought in a video game. He's got all sorts of tricks up his mechanical plating; deadly holograms, dark energy blasts, and those double blasters.

Baron Dante - Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Oh. My. God. I had a hard time against this guy when I first fought him. But, after a few tries, I got the idea on how to fight him. I felt great when I've finally beat him for the first time.

N. Oxide - Crash Team Racing
This guy seriously plays dirty when you race against him. Having to survive his cheating ways and overtaking him again is just as bad. But, he's a great challenge, and I like it.

Emperor Velo - Crash Nitro Kart
He plays just as unfairly as Oxide in CTR, because he has his two subordinates helping him out. I retried several times until I've beaten him. Plus, I also used the recommended shortcuts on the Hyper Spaceway track this boss race takes place on.

Specter - Ape Escape 1
Fighting him in the Peak Point Matrix (which reminds me of a supercomputer floating in space in another dimension) was awesome. Shooting him with the slingshot was a nice touch, too. The Galaxy Monkey music also proved cool, too.

Gol and Maia Acheron - Jak & Daxter
You get the fight them in their giant Precursor robot, which they sought to use to open the Dark Eco Silos. The most epic part of the battle, is where you have to grab the White Eco, and use it to blast the robot sky-high, and sending the two corrupted ones to their doom in the Dark Eco they tried to claim for themselves.

Toc-Man - Pac-Man World 1
When you get the final phase of the battle, where he tries to flatten you with those super-powered Rev Rolls, you know you had to scramble for the center of the arena. Plus, the four red ghosts going around helping him out adds to the challenge.

Oh, and keep in mind that I've never posted on this forum before. This is my first post here.

Nulava

Banned
Albert Wesker from Resident Evil: 5
He tries to take out Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar by doing absolutely everything he possible can. He betrayed his accomplice Excella Gionne and even controlled Chris's old partner Jill Valentine in killing Chris and Sheva.
He enjoys giving the protagonist hell and displays amazing skills when you go up against him.
He is definitely one of the best video game bad guys ever created.

Albert Wesker is the main antagonist in the Resident Evil series.
For those who didn't know. :p