• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best video game stories

Djura

99% chance to hit
So having seen "best x in video games threads" except for story, I thought I'd start a thread on it.

One of the best stories I've come across in recent gaming is Spec Ops: The Line. At first it starts off as a standard shooter, and even plays like one, but when you reach
the white phosphorus scene, everything goes downhill for the main characters. All of it is a misguided mission for revenge and heroism, when in fact, you, the player character, are the real villain of the story.

LizardonX

Banned
I don't think any games in 2013 could surpass the bar set by Bioshock Infinite and the Last of us.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Here's 25.

I do have a small problem with that scene in Spec Ops The Line
The white phosphorus scene, while incredibly powerful and haunting doesn't work well in terms of the game. Why do I think so? Because the game presents it like you're making a choice in the cutscene beforehand. You and your mates find the white phosphorus and they argue whether or not they should use it. Begin gameplay. I tried my damn best to fight all off all the enemies in the area, only to find out 15 minutes later that there were infinitely respawning snipers. So the only way to progress is to use the white phosphorus. Normally that'd be okay but the game GUILTS you for it. Hard. It helps drive the narrative that they were going for, and there were very few other options to do so, but at the same time for the player it feels a bit unfair.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Legend of Mana has one particularly amazing, heart-wrenching story arc (the rest of it is amazing, too). The original Metal Gear Solid is pretty great, too, but it also has a great cast of characters helping it along, too.

What? You want newer games? How about the Sam and Max games? Then again, they are also in a genre that lives and dies by having a great story, so they'd better. Honestly, I haven't played enough current-gen games to really give an accurate representation. I think that Saints Row the Third at least tells its story very well; it may not really be a very good story, but it's done up in a way that I consider fun and which keeps your attention very well. Well, okay, the original BioShock was very good, too, in my opinion. It's a little typical, but arguably (at least the first time), the big twist is actually completely unexpected.

I would not, however, say that BioShock Infinite's storyline was great. It lacks -- and I mean this sincerely -- the subtlety of the original's telling. At several moments, I felt I should expect an "And that's terrible." out of nowhere. At least the twist that shows up in the ending is still good.

edit: Spec Ops: The Line does, however, have an amazingly clever twist. As best I can tell, though -- the rest? Not so much.

Does this hack seriously believe that Hotline Miami had a better storyline than Chrono Trigger? Christ, Pong had a better story than Hotline Miami.

Last edited:

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
I think Mass Effect had a good story as well, even if the ending did suck balls (the fix made it a bit better though.)

BioShock Infinite's story was intriguing as well.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It's not out yet but Saints Row 4 easily has everyone else beat.

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
While calling it best would be a bit bold I loved the story to Bioshock Infinite.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I really have to get my paws on BioShock Infinite...

I think the Silent Hill series had pretty good storylines. The original two BioShock games were quite good as well... As you went through the games and picked up audio diaries you got more hints about what happened in Rapture and were able to put together a better picture of the city's fall. I also like the Darksiders games and War For Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron. Their stories weren't bad either.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I'm gonna go back in time and say Final Fantasy 7-9 have some of the best stories of any game I've played. Also, I put the Elder Scrolls Series up there as well, as you can learn history from later games, of stuff you went through in an earlier game you played.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Mass Effect 3, I loved how it ended beautifully.

On to games I actually know I would say Mother 3 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

BTW, I mentioned 3 three times.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
BioShock Infinite.

I've never blown through a video game that fast, and I'm a slow gamer. I had a lot of fun trying to predict how the story would unfold and how the characters were tied to each other, that was either proven or not by progressing. It has a couple great plot twists that aren't a slap in the face. Some you'll just learn through voxophones and stuff. The ending was huge as well.

Props to Ocarina of Time for introducing time travel to gaming in a modern way.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Just about all of the Kingdom Heart series, if not all of them, I would think.

I also loved Skyward Sword's story. I wouldn't call it the best, but I particularly liked it.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
Pokemon mystery dungeon; Explorers of the Sky.
Time and darkness had the one of the best plots (That I played) but when Sky came out with all special episodes....
It is still the best story I have experienced so far.