• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best video game stories

PokemonJesus123

The Pokémon Punk
In my opinion, I would have to say the Mass Effect series.

Aurablade

Big Bad Wolf
I'm actually playing Persona 4 : The Golden. This is my first Shin Megami Tensei game, and seriously, the scenario is really huge. I mean, i usually can't play more than 20/30 hours on an single game, excepting some games like Animal Crossing or Borderlands 2. But this one... I'm at 45 hours and still not bored, it's really magic, and there's ALWAYS something else than that we are expecting.

All the SMT games I've played (not very many, I only just recently got into it) have had fantastic stories, and I'm a big fan of the MGS story (weird **** and all, I just love it).
I'm yet to get my hands on The Last of Us and Bioshock: Infinite, but I really want them.

Abstinence Pistols

.. I don't even want to get into arguing over a lot of that list, but holy God, there is some ridiculous stuff at the top of the list.

10. Portal 2
22. Planescape: Torment

How. How.

Anyway, some of my favorites include:

Metal Gear Solid - all of them, each one is awesome in its own way. 1's story was just all around great, 2's was a colossal mind twist and excellently done with all the symbolism and 3 has some emotional moments and other than that is pretty much just great also.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - Jesus so many twists in that one. And it managed to stay fairly understandable, too. At least up until the end when it started getting a little bonkers.

Deus Ex - obligatory choice. Some of the toughest choices I've ever faced in a game, and a fairly complex but not crazy plot.

I'm sure there's some that I'm forgetting as well.
I would not, however, say that BioShock Infinite's storyline was great. It lacks -- and I mean this sincerely -- the subtlety of the original's telling. At several moments, I felt I should expect an "And that's terrible." out of nowhere. At least the twist that shows up in the ending is still good.
My biggest gripe was the fact that the story went completely off the rails about halfway through, and onto a completely different track. BioShock raised some interesting moral questions (of which the Little Sister choices were not so much), but the first half of BioShock Infinite felt a little more like white guilt: the game. It looked like they were going to do something really interesting with it but then the game changed directions completely into the sci-fi dimension-jumping fun that comprised the second half.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Actually. Planescape: Torment has a great storyline. I would've put it higher on the list. You just have to be familiar with the Planescape Campaign Setting. If you're not, you'll probably hate it. I'd probably say this much. If you know who the Lady of Pain is and what she does, then you're probably alright to play the game.

Anyway, for me it's every game in the Xeno franchise. Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade all have amazing storylines. Monolith never disappoints with the plots in these games.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
The Earthbound games, particularly Mother 3, had some pretty fun and neat stories in them, I thought. Somehow merges a whole bunch of wacky stuff into the plot so well, and has some rather moving moments as well. Full of a whole range of characters too. One particularly nice effect was playing as a character for a while, which as in a bunch of RPGs is voiceless - then when the next part of the story comes around and you change characters, you might see the previous one talk to your new character. Minor, but neat in showing another side.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Does it have to be recent games? If not, I can come up with a few older ones I've played. Haven't bought any recent games. My latest is the new Tomb Raider.
1: Kingdom Hearts series
2: Dragon Quest 8
3: Shadow of the Colossus

Kipcha

Telltale's "The Walking Dead" is easily a favorite of mine. Those characters stick with you long after the game is over and it's one that has so many possibilities and outcomes, it's just an amazing play.