• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Wishes: The Good & The Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo...what do you think of the individual episodes of BW so far? What do you think are the good and bad episodes? And do you think the show was before before the skipped episodes, because I did notice it changed a bit. But the question is is that change a good or bad thing?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The only truly bad thing is Ash's regression.

Back in DP we had watched Ash finally become the experienced and great trainer he was supposed to be, while still retaining his personality and being still Ash...but now its all been reset.

Its sad to be honest. The DP version of Ash represented all his growth over the 13 years of the show....and now BW Ash feels like that's all been washed away.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Best Wishes has a faster pacing than Sinnoh, Hoenn, & Johto but it also has the Sinnoh's episode format, and what I mean by that is the amount of fillers. Sinnoh was long but looking into it, the number of fillers episode isn't too much. Best Wishes has a few fillers but mostly the episodes are all of importance. Love the number of captures Ash has made so far.

Not really sure what I would say on the bad things of Best Wishes. Sure Ash seems to have trouble using 3 of 9 Pokemon and overusing 3 more but from the looks of how the episodes are, I have a feeling there is plenty of battle time for all of Ash's Pokemon. Pikachu starring in 2 gyms in a row is also a minus but I'll let it slide..... for now.

I guess I noticed Bianca's onscreen winning record.... its 0, which bugs me. She's been beaten by Ash, had an undeciding match against Iris & Ash later on, lost to Stephan, and then to Elesa. I really hope this changes next time she battles onscreen.-__-

I guess thats all, so far the good definitely outweighs the bad, so hopefully it keeps impressing me....:D (C'mon Samurott!!)

Aquadon

TCG Trainer

Back in DP we had watched Ash finally become the experienced and great trainer he was supposed to be, while still retaining his personality and being still Ash...but now its all been reset.

Its sad to be honest. The DP version of Ash represented all his growth over the 13 years of the show....and now BW Ash feels like that's all been washed away.

Add Pikachu to that and you'd be set. While Pikachu does have a good 2 Gym wins under its belt, I can't help but feel like Pikachu has really been declining as a Pokemon this Season. Of course, it doesn't help that it lost Volt Tackle for Electro Ball (a move on the writer's part I really dislike), but even other than that it seems to be a disappointment

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
One more thing: Trip is the worst rival ever created. They might be doing something interesting with him now that he met Adeku but it remains to be seen.

Amazing how totally uninteresting Trip is. He makes Zoey and Kenny look good.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
One more thing: Trip is the worst rival ever created. They might be doing something interesting with him now that he met Adeku but it remains to be seen.

He is interesting to me and at this point the best thing after Shinji, so that is a matter of opinion or being biased.

You are saying that before he even appeared in the anime and you only saw his design, you said there was nothing else to him, yet he is the only rival who actually has an hobbie besides battling, no story, he gets a story you go quiet, he loses in the tournament and you resurface.

:D

On Topic: Guys wasn't there like two threads about this already on September when the series made 1 year, I remember someone doing a thread here and people discussed it already.

Zino

Ice Cream Truck

Noo, Trip's awesome! He isn't jerk, but not the nice-guy either. At first I just tought he was bad looking Paul-clone, but now I see he clearly isn't that. He's just too great (well, too bad he totally stole Cheren's place, since he's my favorite rival in the games, but don't wanna complain too much, since his Alder -thing seems pretty interesting)!

On Topic: Guys wasn't there like two threads about this already on September when the series made 1 year, I remember someone doing a thread here and people discussed it already.
Yes, there was! : D And I don't think people's opinions have changed that much yet...

But anyway, still nothing bad to say about BW + I'm glad Ash is back with zero talent, DP!mature Ash was getting boring. :/

Janovy

Banned
Funny because Trip is a lot more interesting than Kenny.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
I can't find anything bad to say about Best Wishes, and even if I do find something bad (Bianca constantly losing) I tend to suspect that something good (Pignite evolving and becoming her major powerhouse) will eventually come out of it. Trip is also an excellently developed rival with a backstory that explains his motives better than Paul's "BAWW MY BIG BRO LOST ONCE SO MY ABUSIVE TRAINING METHOD SHOULD BE MUCH BETTER" bollocks, which I found to be quite confusing and badly handled all for the sake of a few exciting and intense fights.

RandomOne

Randomization
Bad things:
1) Things that doesn't make sense - such as saying Bianca beats 2\3 gyms (can't remember) with her Pignite only, and then making her lose all the time and especially losing with all three of her pokemon to Zebstrika.
2) The electric gym sucked in my opninion.
3) Making Ash look like a toutal noob infront of Trip. I know Ash supposed to be in a lower position, but it just too much.
4) The pointless fillers - Beheeyem episode for example.
5) Many of Ash's pokemons are treated like nothing.

Good Things:
1) Ash catching many pokemons.
2) The animation looks better.
3) Trip's personallity might be little weird, but I love it.
4) The all Scraggy's thing - the fact Ash got a pokemon egg and training a baby pokemon again.
5) Iris and Cilan, nuff' said.
6) Cabrnet, Georgia, Luke and Stephan.

Umm, I'm sure there are much more obvious good things, I've just mentioned a few.

Last edited:

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
To me, it's a major step down from DP in terms of writing and character development, and it's gone even further downhill after the Team Plasma episodes were (seemingly pernamentaly) dropped. Ash has been flanderized down to his season 1 self, and most of his Pokemon have barely any to no personality at all, just soulless battling machines, I see his BW team to be the complete opposite of his DP team, in which his DP Pokemon such as Infernape and Buizel all had their own distinct personalities, in BW, the Pokemon are just "Send them out to battle and only to battle", with only, at most, two of his Pokemon (Snivy and Oshawott) actually having personalities at all (not to mention that those two are shown more than an of his other teammates outside of Pikachu), though those two (and to an extent, Emolga and Axew) tend to often annoy fans, they are pretty much the only Pokemon that have personalities at all, with more focus to the human characters than the tituluar superpowered animals.

In terms of the human characters, Iris and Cilan are pretty much among the few good things about BW (which I will discuss later). Bianca is the complete opposite of her game self, in the games, she was a determined trainer who was willing to do the right thing, though tended to be a ditz from time to time, in the anime, she's a hyperactive ditz who has no idea what she is doing at all (basically, a female version of Barry, but with her IQ significantly dropped by several points lower than Barry), despite that, her most recent appearance has shown that they are starting to make her act a bit more like her game self. Trip is basically Paul, but with everything that made Paul an interesting character completely stripped, with nothing left but a total jerk, whileas Paul recieved character development over the course of the series. I find Burgundy to be incredibly annoying (although that may just be me), while Langley (I refuse to call her "Georgia") has more potential than most of the other rivals. *sigh*, if only N was in the anime...

Among other bad things include the Gym battles, which are incredibly generic and boring (Castelia and Nimbassa Gyms being the worst offenders), as well as the random fillers after Castelia City and don't get me started on Team Plasma or the black Team Rocket uniforms, enough blood has been shed over that topic already.

Among the good things BW has given us is that it's very colorful, the music is wonderful, and the animation is very fluid, not to mention how interesting a few of the characters introduced in the series are (namely Iris and Cilan), and Iris has a truly interesting backstory, the chemistry between the main trio is also very well balanced.

Agreed, the BW Ash is an absolute joke compared to the DP Ash, it's as if BW is an alternate continuity where Ash never went to the Orange Islands, but if that was the case, then wouldn't Misty and Brock still be travelling with Ash, it's just so confusing.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
The Bad

- Neglected Pokémon of Ash's team.
- Random fillers.
- Lack of development in Ash's team department.
- Lack of N and Plasma plot.
- Bianca being handled like crap.
- Kenyan/Stephan name joke. Utter crap, seriously.

The Good

- Entertaining/interesting rivals. (Langley, Cabernet, Belle, Shooty)
- Incredibly enjoyable Ash/Iris/Dento chemistry. (especially Iris/Dento)
- Improved and colorful animation of BW.
- Ash's personality - much funnier and interesting.
- Iris' backstory and development. (Iris', not her Pokémon)
- Dento's IT'S _______ TIME and his golden comedy moments.
- Iris/Langley & Dento/Cabernet rivalry.
- Iris' Pokémon.
- Alder of Best Wishes.

That's it for now. ^^

EDIT:

I also don't understand why some people are bugged by Ash's stupid self - he's always been like this but the recent episodes have proven that he's still capable of thinking outside the box. He will never win the league anyway and since I much more prefer the comical Ash, I'd take him any day over mature Ash who's not funny at all. My point is, mature or dumb - Ash will not win the league. As much as I agree with the fact that the development has been handled poorly, I have to disagree when it comes to Ash. He hasn't been this entertaining in years, and I for one, enjoy it greatly.

Last edited:

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder
The Bad

- Neglected Pokémon of Ash's team.
- Random fillers.
- Lack of development in Ash's team department.
- Lack of N and Plasma plot.
- Bianca being handled like crap.
- Kenyan/Stephan name joke. Utter crap, seriously.

The Good

- Entertaining/interesting rivals. (Langley, Cabernet, Belle, Shooty)
- Incredibly enjoyable Ash/Iris/Dento chemistry. (especially Iris/Dento)
- Improved and colorful animation of BW.
- Ash's personality - much funnier and interesting.
- Iris' backstory and development. (Iris', not her Pokémon)
- Dento's IT'S _______ TIME and his golden comedy moments.
- Iris/Langley & Dento/Cabernet rivalry.
- Iris' Pokémon.
- Alder of Best Wishes.

That's it for now. ^^

EDIT:

I also don't understand why some people are bugged by Ash's stupid self - he's always been like this but the recent episodes have proven that he's still capable of thinking outside the box. He will never win the league anyway and since I much more prefer the comical Ash, I'd take him any day over mature Ash who's not funny at all. My point is, mature or dumb - Ash will not win the league. As much as I agree with the fact that the development has been handled poorly, I have to disagree when it comes to Ash. He hasn't been this entertaining in years, and I for one, enjoy it greatly.

1) you can't really say anything about TP because they did have to episode that were skipped
2) their hasn't been to many fillers
3) stephan name joke is gold
4) trip isn't that great

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
I dunno why people hate on Kenyan (It's KENYAN, not Stephan!) just because of his name and then completely ignoring his other aspects. For one, when I watched the Alder episode I immediately thought of Kenyan because of how buddy buddy him and Alder are with Ash. You could call it a rivalry, yeah, but there's a lovely bro element underneath all that battling bollocks. If he weren't so sensitive about his name I'd call him Broyan.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

I completely agree with both of these. Pikachu is also a disapointment as well, with losing to Snivy in Ash's first battle with Trip and a few other battles it was in.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
I completely agree with both of these. Pikachu is also a disapointment as well, with losing to Snivy in Ash's first battle with Trip and a few other battles it was in.

The love for Paul is unsurprising.
Also, why complain about Godchu when the lil' rat starred in the last two gyms it was in?

Zino

Ice Cream Truck
I dunno why people hate on Kenyan (It's KENYAN, not Stephan!) just because of his name and then completely ignoring his other aspects. For one, when I watched the Alder episode I immediately thought of Kenyan because of how buddy buddy him and Alder are with Ash. You could call it a rivalry, yeah, but there's a lovely bro element underneath all that battling bollocks. If he weren't so sensitive about his name I'd call him Broyan.
Kenyan gets hate?? D: No way, he's like my fav character on the show! And I still find his name joke funny as what!<3 + I totally agree with the bro-element!

- Random fillers.
I think this season has the best fillers in over ten years! They are really entertaining even when they are pointless. (Or maybe it's the Pokémon's awesome characteristics that makes them interesting...)

Janovy

Banned
1) you can't really say anything about TP because they did have to episode that were skipped
Yes and they still haven't appeared. That sucks.

2) their hasn't been to many fillers
Not if you skipped some yourself, go check them yourself buddy!

3) stephan name joke is gold
That's your opinion, not mine.

4) trip isn't that great
And again - your opinion, not mine. ;)

Also, for the record, I like Kenyan - but I just hate that joke. I have nothing against him though, I hope he appears more often with less name jokes.

They are really entertaining even when they are pointless. (Or maybe it's the Pokémon's awesome characteristics that makes them interesting...)
And didn't say all of them, some were entertaining such as the Litwick episode.

But episodes like Oshawott's lost shell could have been used to actually develop another Pokémon such as Tranquill.

Last edited:

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
But episodes like Oshawott's lost shell could have been used to actually develop another Pokémon such as Tranquill.

Didn't Oshawott's Lost Scalchop introduce Kenyan? You'd have to watch the episode if you didn't know who the guy was when he turned up at the Don Tourney.

Janovy

Banned
Didn't Oshawott's Lost Scalchop introduce Kenyan? You'd have to watch the episode if you didn't know who the guy was when he turned up at the Don Tourney.
Oh, that's right.

... I feel stupid now.

Status
Not open for further replies.