• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Wishes: The Good & The Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The Good:

• Oshawott. He always has something to offer, and he keeps things real, unlike some of the other Pokemon in the main cast.
  • The animation in this series is amazing. I especially loved how they designed Pinwheel Forest so that it didn't look generic.
  • The group as a whole has great chemistry, and everyone is involved in something for once.
  • The rivals. Trip is pretty cool in his own way, and Bianca is hilarious; she's like a second Oshawott.

The Bad:

• The lack of Team Plasma involvement. And I do know that they appeared in a banned episode, but they haven't appeared since. So yeah.
  • Cilan's puns. They were interesting at first, but now it's evident that he's trying too hard.
  • Rotation. It sounded interesting at first, but the writers can't seem to stop themselves from favoring certain Pokemon over others.
  • Team Rocket's inconsistency. I honestly don't know whether they're really villains at this point or not. They're just a total mess.
  • Ash's contact lenses.

Pikachu, Oshawott, and Tepig are getting far too much focus

I'm so done with you.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
The Good
- Ash Catching more Pokemon
- Cilan
- Better Animation
- Faster pacing
- Easier to skip Filler

The Bad
- Team Rocket still being in the Anime.
- Iris not being a gym leader
- Bianca is so inferior to her game counter part it's sad.
- Trip started out as an inferior Paul clone, then became an inferior Cheren clone.
- Don't like the rivals.

At this point, Ash and Pikachu are always going to be reset.

Grey Wind

I'm so done with you.
;_;

Although I never said it was necessarily a bad thing, since Oshawott is adorable, and at least has some personality.

Say something remotely Irish and people are like LOL YOU'RE SO AWESOME :D
If strung out a few Irish words like, I dunno, caca milis agus cupan tae, people here will most likely praise me. Start praising me, SS!
Like that Carlsberg ad. Tá tú cailín go hállin Elice.

I am an quarter (or eighth, who's checking?) irish though, making me just Irish enough to get away with casual racism. Potatoes etc.
I'll let you away with it if you grow your beard back.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Good:
Ash has more Pokemon than usual
Team Rocket tends to leave using jet packs
Ash has 3 rivals. (Trip, Bianca, and Stephan)

Bad:
Cottonee in love episode
No Team Plasma
Iris calling Ash a kid like every episode
Only Tranquil and Swadloon have evolved

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
Good:
Ash has more Pokemon than usual
Team Rocket tends to leave using jet packs
Ash has 3 rivals. (Trip, Bianca, and Stephan)

Bad:
Cottonee in love episode
No Team Plasma
Iris calling Ash a kid like every episode
Only Tranquil and Swadloon have evolved

Agreed, for one thing, I no longer have to hear "WE'RE BLASTING OFF AGAIN!" every single episode, but the complete absence of Team Plasma, and the fact that only two of Ash's Pokemon have evolved in the course of 50+ episodes, as opposed to Sinnoh, in which four of his Pokemon evolved all the way to the final stage (though I wanted Ash's Buizel to evolve badly, but that's for another topic), only two have even evolved at all. I know a lot of people want Oshawott to evolve, but Burgundy already has a Dewott, so Burgundy's Dewott has to evolve to Samurott before Ash's Oshawott can evolve, since Trip's Snivy evolved to Servine as soon as Ash caught his Snivy, so it should be fair that Burgundy should evolve her Dewott first. Iris calling Ash a kid is getting redundant, you could make a drinking game out of it.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Good:

-I like that everyone has a rival of their own on this series.
-I like that Iris and Cilan are giving their own episodes with their own Pokemon. Makes them seem like their doing something.
-The Pokemon are getting more airtime than in Kanto.
-I love the gymleaders in this region.
-Team Rocket not blasting off every episode anymore.
-Team Rocket not interrupting gym matches anymore. I always had a problem with this.
-That you can see the actual colors of each character's eyes.
-The graphics
-The Pokemon are all cute. I don't want to troll on Stunkfish but I'm learning to like it.

Bad:

-Oshawott in every episode. Give other Pokemon the screen. Pikachu is invisable to me.
-No Team Plasma yet.
-Iris's phrase.
-Axew lack of usage.
-Zorua given to Luke.
-No personality for Tranquil.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Bad:
-Iris not getting quite as much focus as Ash and Dento. Granted, most of this is because Dento's antics tend to pop up in a lot of fillers while Iris is less in-your-face most of the time, but it still feels like she's not getting as much time as she ought to.
-The Team Plasma muckup. I understand that the tsunami disrupted whatever the writers were planning on doing, but I have to wonder how long it'll take to write TP back into the show.
-The inbalance in which Pokemon Ash rotates in. Poor Roggenrola has only been used once or twice, Scraggy shows up a lot, I can't even remember the last time we've seen Swadloon, Tranquill has been showing up less as Ash's roster expands...the writers have never been terribly good at balancing Pokemon screentime, and the rotation is just making it worse. It doesn't help that the writers are allergic to rotating out the starters.
-TR. I appreciate that they're no longer wasting screentime in gym battles/rival episodes/other important episodes, but they're not particularly interesting either. Though I suppose part of this is that the payoff to their newfound seriousness was delay by the tsunami.

Good:
-Rivals! All three of the main gang has one, and all the rivals are pretty entertaining(except for Trip, but it looks like we're starting to head into the meat of his plotline).
-Both Dento and Iris are pretty good companions(my whining about Iris' relative lack of screentime aside).
-Very few fillers that I'd call a complete waste of our time. This is partially because we've had fewer fillers, and partially because the fillers we've had have mostly been pretty good.
-Pikachu appears to be developing a personality for the first time since...uh...um...er......
-The Pokemon are all pretty good overall, aside from a few who just plain haven't gotten enough screentime to be properly developed yet(I'm looking at you, Tranquill and Roggenrolla.). Even Iris' and Dento's Pokemon have notable personalities, and the writers are making an effort to use all their Pokemon regularly.

Neutral, but a lot of other people commented on them so eh:
-Gym battles. I don't really see what's so bad about any of the ones so far(okay, Burgh's Protect-spamming was dumb, but other than that).
-Ash. As far as I can tell, 90% of his stupidity was contained in the very start of BW, and was mostly used to show newcomers to the series that you have to do things like weaken Pokemon before trying to catch them. Though maybe I've just been watching this show so long that I barely even notice the difference between stupid Ash and normal Ash anymore...

naughtynun

I do enjoy the series don't get me wrong but I feel at this stage there is a LOT of wasted potential.

Good:
-Very intresting rivals with the exception of Trip who is FAR less interesting than the random samurai in viridian forest.
-Iris and her backstory plus her relationships with her pokemon
-Cilan is VERY cool, I like him and he is much more interesting than Brock although I liked him too.
-Group dynamic's are good.
-Team Rocket's improved in personality but they are not seen enough or develop in terms of pokemon.
-meowth 'swapping sides'!
-rotating is a GREAT idea with LOADS of potential. the handling of it is ATROCIOUS however!

Bad:
-Certain pokemon hogging the spotlight. Tepig in every gym, oshawott in every battle and pikachu in every episode, gym, screenshot blah blah. Pikachu especially, why give any more than minimum time to the most showcased pokemon in the series!? Oshawott has had enough training to last an eternity. Boring...
- Certain pokemon being horribly treated and never seen or used in gyms. Palpitoad is finally improving and snivy is seen but her win record sucks. Tranquill and roggenrola have been SUPER-SHAFTED!! Swadloon is very badly treated too but has 2 gym wins so its not as bad. Scraggy is good but shouldn't be still suckling for so long, Ash's breast pump must be cutting in by now!
- gym battles- yuk, pikachu, oshawott, tepig, pikachu, oshawott, tepig, pikachu, pikachu... what about the others. Not just the same choices every time but elesa's gym was unrealistic and boring. Is it too much to ask to have a nearly fair distribution of gym wins or battles? can't writers think and plan ahead?
- shooti
-lack of evolutions so far, plus a possible bulbasaurisation of snivy which would be a heinous crime because ash needs serperior as the one of the coolesyt 5th gen pokemon. Jessie should get seviper back later on and the two have a snake fight!!
-team rockets lack of pokemon and screentime.
-no team plasma/N

What I really hate is the fact that writers make ash catch 8 new pokemon and neglect to give some anything so that they can write fillers when nothing really happens and any one of the reserves could pop up in it, even learning a new move.

I LOVE the series, despite being a moaner about it with my broken record on screenhogs, I just feel that there is a heck of wasted potential because of silly arbitrary decisions by the writers. Who is guessing we will have a silly short league again, rushed because the writers wanted us to know how one ball of cotton woo's another...

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I'm going to post this again for the sake of the the rotation is beind baldy done argument and some pokemons are getting more then others, when like I said numerous said pokemons only need a battle that eventually will get.

Since Roggenrola capture appearances:

Tranquill - 3
Oshawott - 11(two flashbacks and one in Pikachu imagination)
Tepig - 5
Snivy - 7
Scraggy - 2(one in Pikachu imagination, is getting an episode for him now again)
Swadloon - 1(yes here is the problem, even though it atleast has battles)
Palpitoad - 4
Roggenrola - 4

Besides Oshawott the other starters specially Tepig don't even have that many appearances compared to the reserves.

Oh now say that third Tranquill apperance had no meaning, sure, I can cut some from the others too, Oshawott pops out of the pokeball goes back into it, can only be interpreted as no meaning.

So yeah Scraggy is getting episode and Swadloon needs an episode, Roggenrola is going to evolve most likelly and needs a battle, Tranquill needs a battle and its damn fine, Palpitoad just got a lot of stuff, maybe an episode out of battle would be good but that is it too, the main focus will be on the starters but the reserves are getting goop screentime between themselves.

See what is in my sig for more info.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna go out and say the thing that nobody else wants to say:

The battles have been crap. Boring, uninspired. Sinnoh had me at the edge of my seat sometimes, here, I'm lucky to be mildly surprised.

Aside from that, we have the biggest spotlight stealer ever in Oshawott, horrid rotation, lackluster character development and Team Rocket being completely ruined.

The only good points so far are the whimsical episodes that make you feel like a kid again, rivals, and the group interactions.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Good

-Mamoru Miyano's amazing voice acting
-*is lazy* Almost everything elsem that's not in the bad category

Bad

-The Don Tourney. Ruined half my summer and it wasn't even that good -_- (well it would have been better if I hadn't lost interest between those breaks)
Ya...pretty much this

I tried to make this not FANGIRLY over Dento for once 8D

GalladeRocks said:
Am I the only one who just watches this show without analyzing every part of it? Seriously, it's an anime. Either you watch it to get entertainment or you don't watch it and don't complain. That's pretty simple.

Lol nope! I watch it for the entertainment as well ^.^ (well on my side mostly for the light hearted comedy of the show)

Last edited:
The Good

- IRIS IRIS IRIS!!! She's the only person who makes me tune in. She is awesome in everyway and I love seeing her.

- New Pokemon

- Better animation

- More entertaining episodes. Not the ones with Cilan running his mouth

The Bad

- Cilan and his big mouth. He's an attention wh*re

- Ash's worse pokemon team yet. Half his team hasn't even seen daylight yet.

- Trip= Paul 2.0

- Lack of Iris focused episodes :(

Last edited:
Good
*Ash, Iris and Cilan have some pretty decent chemistry. I'd say that this is a definite improvement from the Sinnoh saga, where it seemed like Ash, Dawn and Brock rarely, if ever seemed like a real group.
*Stunfisk actually belonging to a member of the main cast.
*The animation is great, although it's to be expected that the animation would improve as the show goes on.
*How Ash has more than six Pokemon.

Bad
*The battles have been lackluster and soulless. The best battle so far was Pikachu VS Iris's Excadrill, and even that was okay at best.
*Rotation is being handled very poorly. It's as if someone is holding a gun to the writers heads to not have the starters be switched. And let's not forget how little screen time some of Ash's Pokemon get. Hell, if he's not even going to showcase the Pokemon, then why bother even obtaining it in the first place?
*Axew's childish personality. I seriously hope that he evolves and grows up.
*The possibility of Oshawott becoming Piplup 2.0. Please writers have him become a Samurott and kick butt.
*Ash having a mental reset. Now I don't mind the power resets he gets every region, that's understandable for balance issues (although it would have been somewhat hilarious to see him pull out Infernape in the first gym battle and dominate against the elemental monkeys). But seriously, he's regressed to being just like his old Kanto self, if not worse. It's like the writers have a anti-growing up message or something they want to express.
*How there seems to be a current quantity over quality issue at the moment. Honestly, Tranquil, Swadloon, Roggenrola, Tepig, and Palpitoad have very little personality to them and might as well be robots.
*The lack of N and Team Plasma, which disturbs me.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Bad so far
-Swadloony's, Roggenrola's, and Tranquill's lack of appearences and battles.
-Most battles, only good ones/ones that seemed kinda logical(From what I've seen), the first Gym battle, the 4th Gym battle, Ash and Trip's third battle, and Iris VS Ash.
-Rotation sucks, they barely show anyone but the starters.

Good so far
-Pikachu-He's showing personality this season
-Oshawoot-I love his screenhogginess. At least someone appears in almost ever episode
-Snivy-Her rivalry with Emolga, and the way she acts is great
-Palpitoad-He has great battles, I want to see how he acts around the group
-Scraggy-Only thing he needs is to be the star of the Ice Gym
-Iris-Only complaint I see is that she needs less misfit Toys animals
-Cilan-Maybe a bit less flamboyant?
-TR-More complicated plots, please.
-Rivals are great, even Trip is looking to get better.

Agility

Bah.
- Cilan wasn't bad AT FIRST. He was refreshing the first fifteen episodes or so. He had a hobby in Pokemon Connoseiur, which was nice. But then suddenly he's thirty different things at once, he won't shut his face.. EVER, and he's a prissy know-it-all. The best way I can sum up how ridiculous he's become is his battle versus Luke. When you have a battle going on that's 90% sparkling, idiotic mouthing off, you know there's a problem.

- I think it's funny some of you put "LOL OSHAWOTT IN EVERY EPISODEZ" in the good, then put "Atrocious handling of rotation" in the bad. Seriously? That counter someone did says it enough. Eleven appearances is just silly. Give another Pokemon some attention. I think Swadloon committed suicide. That's why it hasn't been mentioned in ever.

Everything else has been pretty tolerable. Nice pacing. Lackluster battles, but I'm hoping they'll make up for that later in the series.

~Light

Good:
- Team Rocket that doesn't blast off every episode
- Ash catching more than 5 Pokémon per Region
- Seeing new Pokémon and how they act in the anime
- Almost only seeing 1 or 2 different Pokémon each episode

Bad:
- Ash's Pokémon don't evolve
- Too much Oshawott, want more Snivy !
- Cilan is annoying and stupid
- Bianca
- No N