• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best Wishes: The Good & The Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterpokes

But Excadrill is just as strong as Pikachu or any of Ash's reserves. Palpitoad and Snivy wouldn't really be able to put up a fight, since they haven't fully developed yet, while Excadrill has.

Excadrill is probably one of the strongest Pokemon, out any Pokemon on either Iris', Ash's or Cilan's teams. It's probably true that neither Snivy or Palpitoad wouldn't match up to Excadrill, but it took away the excitement of having Pikachu battling Excadrill. I would probably found it more entertaining if Excadrill fought Snivy and Palpitoad, since then, it might have been a chance that Ash would have won. With Pikachu, he had no chance unless bullcrap happened.

By the way, love point #4 and #5 on your bad things about Best Wishes. You are 150% to 200% right about that.

Graham Aker

I would probably found it more entertaining if Excadrill fought Snivy and Palpitoad, since then, it might have been a chance that Ash would have won. With Pikachu, he had no chance unless bullcrap happened.

Honestly, I'm still surprised that of all the people that entered the tournament..they had Iris win it. There wasn't really any build-up for it to happen, so I dunno. It's not like it was a Dragon Tournament, where it would have made a bit more sense to have her win the entire thing given she wants to be a Dragon Master. w/e though.

Last edited:

Dax

Legend
Honestly, I'm still surprised that of all the people that entered the tournament..they had Iris win it. There wasn't really any build-up for it to happen, so I dunno. It's not like it was a Dragon Tournament, where it would have made a bit more sense to have her win the entire thing given she wants to be a Dragon Master. w/e though.

There was no build up for Ash or Cilan to win it either. It was anyone's tournament to win.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
There was no build up for Ash or Cilan to win it either. It was anyone's tournament to win.

He means Iris did so little battling in the beginning of Best Wishes. Not to mention Excadrill and Emonga overcame their problems so quickly that it makes you wonder why the writers gave them problems in the first place.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Excadrill is probably one of the strongest Pokemon, out any Pokemon on either Iris', Ash's or Cilan's teams. It's probably true that neither Snivy or Palpitoad wouldn't match up to Excadrill, but it took away the excitement of having Pikachu battling Excadrill. I would probably found it more entertaining if Excadrill fought Snivy and Palpitoad, since then, it might have been a chance that Ash would have won. With Pikachu, he had no chance unless bullcrap happened.

By the way, love point #4 and #5 on your bad things about Best Wishes. You are 150% to 200% right about that.

yeah and in the don george, ash used only palpitoad and snivy, so why changing to pikachu so suddenly? i would have prefered it if it was snivy (since palpitoad had lots of battles before the finals as well).

Haunter ゴースト

Well to put the Don Battle in short for me, every battle between every character was great, it was interesting having Cilan beat Trip aswell, sort of showed how Trip isn't the everyday 'i'm the best' rival.

I wanted Ash to win no doubt, but having Pikachu lose didn't actually annoy me too much since Excadrill up to that point had been shown to be an extremely powerful customer aswell as a type disadvantage fight, so it was acceptable imo.

Having Iris win (annoyed me) did perfectly set up a future rematch which Ash will hopefully milestone on, and put Iris in her place for good.

Dax

Legend
He means Iris did so little battling in the beginning of Best Wishes. Not to mention Excadrill and Emonga overcame their problems so quickly that it makes you wonder why the writers gave them problems in the first place.

Doesn't matter the quantity if she was established through her back story as a character knowledgeable and skilled as a trainer. The clues were there to know everyone had a chance to win it maybe Burgundy not so much.

Excadrill and Emolga, I don't see the problem. Emolga had already properly battled under Iris' command without problems. It still baffles me how people expected her to disobey her since that wasn't her problem in the first place.

Janovy

Banned
I only had a problem with Emolga in the tournament.

The problem with Excadrill was handled perfectly in my opinion, they both (Iris and Excadrill) solved their issues managing the develop their characters along the way. Emolga, however, suddenly deciding to listen Iris just because she told her so? I'm not buying it.

Then again, Emolga vs Sawk was one of the best strategy battles of BW. :/

Haunter ゴースト

The problem with Excadrill was handled perfectly in my opinion, they both (Iris and Excadrill) solved their issues managing the develop their characters along the way.

Imo it just didn't last long enough.

Excadrill appeared in it's ignorant state for only five episodes (with him only starring for about 30 seconds in some), being the star of two episodes and that's including one of them being the one where he became obedient.

That's terrible imo, so not counting the episodes where he played no role, he only had two episodes developing his disobedience.

However, the episodes which did have Iris and Excadrill developed them fine but I really think Excadrill's disobedient stage should have been dragged out a lot longer.

Emolga, however, suddenly deciding to listen Iris just because she told her so? I'm not buying it.

The thing is, Emolga was never really a disobedient Pokemon, she's more of a joker and still is, she joined Iris because she liked her.

That's why we get times when she'll listen to Iris, or if not Volt Switch away.

Janovy

Banned
Imo it just didn't last long enough.

Excadrill appeared in it's ignorant state for only five episodes (with him only starring for about 30 seconds in some), being the star of two episodes and that's including one of them being the one where he became obedient.

That's terrible imo, so not counting the episodes where he played no role, he only had two episodes developing his disobedience.

However, the episodes which did have Iris and Excadrill developed them fine but I really think Excadrill's disobedient stage should have been dragged out a lot longer.
The thing is, Excadrill only really needed one episode for things to get solved. His reason for being disobedient was quite different from the cliché Charizard/Mamoswine disobedience which just dragged on and on.

The thing is, Emolga was never really a disobedient Pokemon, she's more of a joker and still is, she joined Iris because she liked her.
It was still kinda dumb to me, Emolga didn't even try Volt Switch. :|

But it was a great battle nonetheless.

Haunter ゴースト

The thing is, Excadrill only really needed one episode for things to get solved. His reason for being disobedient was quite different from the cliché Charizard/Mamoswine disobedience which just dragged on and on.

Yeah same with any disobedient Pokemon, one episode always resolves it.

By point being though is that, Excadrill only had two episodes where he was the star of the episode and one of them was actually the solution episode.

The other three were minor appearances lasting 20 second, two in which he stayed hidden in his claws and one where he only woke up because of attract, imo that really isn't enough.

I actually enjoyed Charizard and Mamoswines disobedience so in my opinion I didn't care how long they lasted really haha.

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder

By point being though is that, Excadrill only had two episodes where he was the star of the episode and one of them was actually the solution episode.

The other three were minor appearances lasting 20 second, two in which he stayed hidden in his claws and one where he only woke up because of attract, imo that really isn't enough.

I actually enjoyed Charizard and Mamoswines disobedience so in my opinion I didn't care how long they lasted really haha.

1) bw009 debut
2) bw033 solution
3) bw042 vs pikachu

Janovy

Banned

The thing is - all other disobedient Pokémon had one solution episode just like Excadrill. It's just that Charizard and Mamoswine could go on rampage while Excadrill was in his drill form all the time.

Why would Iris send him out when she thought the problem was in him?

Haunter ゴースト

1) bw009 debut
2) bw033 solution
3) bw042 vs pikachu

Erm you've got that wrong buddy.

BW009 - Debut, fights Scolipede
BW020 - Sent out to find Ash and Pikachu, doesn't wake up.
BW024 - Sent out still disobedient, Attract wakes him up for a few seconds.
BW025 - Volt Switch brings him out, doesn't wake up.
BW033 - Solution.

Important episode appearances in bold.

After this Excadrill appears more times like you've said, but it doesn't matter since we were talking about his disobedience prior.

The thing is - all other disobedient Pokémon had one solution episode just like Excadrill. It's just that Charizard and Mamoswine could go on rampage while Excadrill was in his drill form all the time.

Why would Iris send him out when she thought the problem was in him?

Very true, but the writers could have thought of plenty of reasons for him to wake up.

We were shown he clearly got annoyed by strong competitors like Scolipede and Beartic, so why not bump him into one of them every now and then with a plot a bit different each time to remove any repetition.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
EWe were shown he clearly got annoyed by strong competitors like Scolipede and Beartic, so why not bump him into one of them every now and then with a plot a bit different each time to remove any repetition.
Well yeah, they could have done that. But I'm not sure how others would like that. XD

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Excadrill situation wasn't the same as Charizard and Mamoswine, I already explained it...

Satoshi and Hikari issue was to show what happens in game, when you get a pokemon at a too high level and you don't the gym to control it(aka experience), they weren't able to control due to that.

Excadrill was hurt by Iris actions and after they got that episode and everything was "explained" it was fine to have him obey after that, it was well done, again the situation is completelly diferent from the first two.

Haunter ゴースト

Excadrill situation wasn't the same as Charizard and Mamoswine, I already explained it...

Satoshi and Hikari issue was to show what happens in game, when you get a pokemon at a too high level and you don't the gym to control it(aka experience), they weren't able to control due to that.

Excadrill was hurt by Iris actions and after they got that episode and everything was "explained" it was fine to have him obey after that, it was well done, again the situation is completelly diferent from the first two.

Um that wasn't really the conversation, we was just talking about how the disobedience thing (well at least imo) should have lasted a lot longer than it did with Excadrill appearing in only five episodes with only two having him as the star, and one of them two being the solution episode.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
That only happens in trades though =/

Yes I know but I still see it has being the same in the anime, showing the trainer inexperience.

Haunter my point that it didn't need to last longer, it was explained and as soon as it was explained with the bonding they did in the episode, it should have been solved easly.

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
Good:
The Group's chemistry
Ash is catching more Pokemon than usual
Dento and Iris
Bianca(I like her the best in BW)
Team Rocket being serious for once
The starters
Snivy and Emolga's rivalry.

Bad:
Only two of Ash's Pokemon in Unova have a personality(Snivy and Oshawott)
Gym Battles suck so much,Come on now ,AG and DP had some great gym battles.These Battles were souless and boring. Elesa's gym was the best so far.The battles outside were better
Don George Battle Tourament:This make me so angry. I was hoping for Ash to win. Shocking to see Iris wins. I felt that most of her wins were luck.
Trip:BIG step back from Paul.He is Gary/Drew/Paul fused together.
Oshawott hogging the spotlight(I like Oshawott but More on Tepig or Snivy)
Anew's treatment lately. After learning Outrage,Iris barely uses Anew,If they trying to make another Togepi or Piplup the writers are failing at that.
Bad Pokemon Rotation
No TP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.