• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best/Worst and Favorite/Least Favorite Pokemon FROM EACH TYPE!

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Decided to update my list because my last post was from before Generation 8 started.

Normal - Favourite: Pyroar - Least Favourite: Watchog
Grass - Favourite: Leafeon - Least Favourite: Eldegoss
Water - Favourite: Lanturn - Least Favourite: Araquanid
Fire - Favourite: Charizard - Least Favourite: Camerupt
Electric - Favourite: Lanturn - Least Favourite: Emolga
Flying - Favourite: Corviknight - Least Favourite: Emolga
Ground - Favourite: Golurk - Least Favourite: Complete Form Zygarde
Rock - Favourite: Coalossal - Least Favourite: Stonjourner
Psychic - Favourite: Galarian Rapidash - Least Favourite: the Lake Guardian Trio
Ghost - Favourite: Golurk - Least Favourite: Blacephalon
Dark - Favourite: Greninja - Least Favourite: Alolan Persian
Bug - Favourite: Frosmoth - Least Favourite: Buzzwole and Pheromosa
Poison - Favourite: Alolan Muk - Least Favourite: Swalot
Fighting - Favourite: Hitmonchan - Least Favourite: Sawk and Throh
Dragon - Favourite: Flygon - Least Favourite: Complete Form Zygarde
Steel - Favourite: Copperajah - Least Favourite: Crowned Sword Zacian
Ice - Favourite: Frosmoth - Least Favourite: Cryogonal
Fairy - Favourite: Sylveon - Least Favourite: Crowned Sword Zacian

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Looks like I haven't posted here, so why don't I now? And I'll be trying to avoid overlaps to keep it a bit more interesting. There are probably plenty of honourable mentions with each of these categories, at least in terms of favourites, as I usually am not good at all at picking definitive favourites. When it comes to least favourites, as with least favourites of each gen, most of them are less the ones I hate the most than the ones I like the least, as it takes a lot to make me outright hate a pokémon.

Favourites:
Grass: Lotad. I've loved this little leafy kappa since I caught one early on in Sapphire version and had it as one of my mains. I like pretty much the whole line, as ludicolo is a super happy fun 'mon with a cool design, but I had to choose lotad in the end, considering I liked it so much I kept my original lotad as a lotad all the way to the champion because I adored it so much.
Fire: Numel. Right up there with lotad as a pokemon I've adored since back in the days of gen 3. I love camels, and this wobbly little cutie captured my heart since I first saw one playing Sapphire.
Water: Swampert. Again, bonded with this line back in Sapphire, and I have fond memories of it being my ace. I also played as a mudkip in Mystery Dungeon, so I've definitely got an affinity for this line. Plus, they're axolotls, I love axolotls.

Bug: Caterpie. Didn't have to think hard for this one. My absolute favourite pokémon since day one. One look into those heart-melting yellow eyes makes me incapable of choosing any other.
Poison: Roserade. A bit harder to choose definitively, as I don't have too many that really stick out for me, and the few that do aren't all that easy to choose from (I like koffing's cute, jolly character, and seviper and scolipede are both pretty cool). I decided to go with another member of one of my past teams, as my roserade was pretty good in Diamond. A bit of an ironic choice, as roselia was my least favourite pokemon back in the gen 3 days, and budew will always sit with me as the most important baby pokémon as I'd have never had a roserade on my team if I hadn't inadvertently caught roselia's unevolved form early in Diamond.
Ice: Snom. I obviously have a weakness for adorable caterpillars, so I totally fell for this little lepidopteran larva along with everyone else. I don't always go along with popular opinion, but in this case, I can't blame the masses for being taken by this icy insect.
Electric: Pachirisu. Like roserade, I really enjoyed using one in Diamond - bugging opponents Bugs-Bunny-style with sweet kiss, then sending them toppling with grass knot was always a hoot, and I like squirrels in general, so this guy's pretty cool. Was a bit of a tossup between it and stunfisk, as it's got a cool type combo, and I've always found it similarly enjoyably wacky. Never had one on my team, though, so pachirisu just edges out.
Normal: Spinda. Probably doesn't hurt it at all that the Route 113 theme has to be one of the most nostalgic Pokémon themes of Hoenn (though Hoenn's got quite a few). Unlike some of the others from gen 3, I don't actually have too many memories from using spinda - it mainly just wormed its way into my heart the way volbeat and jynx did, by bothering me constantly until the memories of its pesky nature became amusing in hindsight.
Flying: Swablu. Another member of my Sapphire team. My swablu actually finished Steven's final party member with a perish song double-takedown, plus, I always enjoyed driving my cousin up the wall with my swablu's sing antics, so swablu's definitely a favourite with me.
Dragon: Giratina. I was trying to make up my mind whether to choose zekrom or kyurem, and then I remembered this baby. A monster bobbit-worm that lives in a real-life Escher drawing? Can't pass that up. Sweet type combo as well. Definitely my favourite in the ubers department as well as my favourite dragon.
Fighting: Makuhita. Just a cute, pudgy, happy li'l guy, and was my reliable cave/secret base navigator in Sapphire. Again, there are a few which probably would have made it if earlier-gen pokémon didn't have a nostalgia edge (pheromosa sure was tempting), but as-is, I had to pick this tubby scuffler.
Ground: Landorus. Gen 5 has quite a few legendaries I like, and I kind of enjoy the inspiration behind the Forces of Nature (basing them on the cardinal direction constellations was a neat idea), and landorus is definitely my favourite with that outrageous expression and super cool felid appearance.
Rock: Sudowoodo. Like spinda, a pokémon I never actually really used, but which I still have fond memories of, mostly playing with one in a few of the games in the Game section on Serebii in my early days on the site. I guess it also kind of connects to my wallflower side, as I often feel as if I blend into the background, so this camouflaged pokémon was kind of relatable to me when I was younger.
Psychic: Solosis. Definite favourite from gen 5. A total cutie with its li'l curl in its li'l bubble, and that diamond-shaped mouth reminds me of the pet snail I had when I was 16.
Ghost: Sableye. Definitely one of my top favourites period. I've been a fan of this wily li'l rascal ever since I caught one in Sapphire. He's been as much fun to drive my cousin mad with as my swablu, and his wily antics in Colosseum won me over easily.
Dark: Inkay. I'm sure it might surprise some that I didn't pick octillery as my favourite water type. Believe it or not, I never actually favoured octillery itself all that much, as somehow it never really had quite enough octopus charm for me, if that makes any sense? So when a new cephalopod finally hit the scene in gen 6 (and the first entirely-Coleoid line as well), I was instantly won over. I'd give this cuttlefish a cuddle any day.
Steel: Mawile. I may have never trained this bear-trap-headed imp, but it's got just about as much rascally charm as sableye, which wins over it in my book, but there are few steel types which I find compete with it in terms of charm.
Fairy: Togepi. This type was probably the hardest choice, as a huge chunk of my all-time favourites are fairy types. From my Red team ace, clefable, to my #1 canine pokémon, snubbull, to by #1 gen 6 'mon, spritzee, I've got quite a few fairy candidates. In the end, though, I had to choose the egg-clad darling which captured my heart ever since I first saw it being the resident baby back in Pikachu's Vacation. Probably second only to caterpie in terms of classic pokémon adorableness.

Least favourites:
Grass: Sunflora. Not so much easy to dislike as easy to forget. It's nothing more or less than a sentient flower. Amoonguss was a pretty close contender for having nothing new to offer (sure, breloom and voltorb don't live in Unova, so there was a void for it to fill, but it's got nothing novel going for it in the big picture), but at least it has something memorable about it, even if it's being a rehash of another pokémon's schtick.
Fire: I'd choose Mega Charizard X, as that's the only pokemon I think of having no right to exist, but I don't dislike charizard as a species, just that form (though its giga form also loses points for getting released ahead of the other two starters' giga forms). If I have to go for overall species, I'd choose magmortar. A lot of people think of rhyperior or maybe lickilicky as the textbook example of ugly gen 4 evolutions of gen 1 pokémon, but I think I'll pick magmortar instead. Two cannon-armed new evolved forms was kind of overkill, and I personally prefer rhyperior over the two - being a rock type, its heavy build suits it, giving it a bit of a bruiser feel to it. Magmortar mostly just looks fat and generally unappealing. Plus, losing magmar's vague garura-esque facial features makes magmortar come off a bit plainer and duller than magmar to me.
Water: Chewtle. Drednaw's got it hard enough being the fourth of four water-type turtles, and the third of three rock-type turtles. At least it's got some distinctive snapping-turtle charm. Chewtle doesn't even have that, so I often forget about it. It kind of looks like a wannabe water starter with its testudine appearance mimicking squirtle's and its general look resembling mudkip's, and both those starters are more likeable than it. I think its design kind of suffers from its going overboard with the misproportionately large head, and any possible cuteness that would give is undermined by its mean face.
Bug: Orbeetle. As I said in the Least Favourite of Each Gen thread, I mostly hold a grudge on orbeetle for wasting a novel type combination on an already-used species. I might even like it if ledyba and ledian hadn't existed, but as-is, I'll mostly just go on thinking its type combo should've been saved for a termite pokémon instead.
Poison: Swalot. Too indistinct from muk to really stand out for me.
Ice: Arctovish. The definite dud of Galar's resident prehistoric pokémon. It seems as if the developers realized that a dunkleosteus/ichthyosaur combination looked actually kind of plausible at the last minute, and compensated for it by overturning the dunkleosteus head to try to make it similarly wacky. At least dracovish's head-on-the-tail thing going on was a neat throwback to real-life paleontology.
Electric: Boltund. It's the third electric canine, and has pretty much nothing new to add to the concept, so it'll always be in the shadow of jolteon, and especially manectric. Might've worked better if it was just a bit more distinctly greyhound-ish, but its proportions put it just a bit too close to a generic canine to really stand out.
Normal: Minccino. This turned out to be one of the harder choices, as it seems Normal is a pretty inoffensive typing overall, and the few normal types I come closest to having beef with like eevee (I find its line in general a tad overrated) and zangoose (as a Sapphire-owner, I hold a slight grudge over it for having an advantage against its Sapphire counterpart) I don't actually dislike as a whole. I ended up going for one of the normal types which come off as the dullest to me, and minccino probably has the least going for it, being little more than a cartoon chinchilla.
Flying: Salamence. As I said in the Least Favourite of Each Gen thread, its whole Chad-to-Dragonite's-Beta thing it's going on kind of rubs me the wrong way, and it doesn't have much else going for it beyond being a more menacing flying-dragon than dragonite.
Dragon: Apart from, again, Mega Charizard X, regidrago. It's a real misfit with the rest of the regis, and not really in a good way. It comes off more as a Tapu wannabe than a proper regi, and the "dragon" head its arms form looks more like non-dragon types like aerodactyl or charizard (and again, the only instance of charizard counting as a dragon is one I don't like being reminded of, so doing so makes regidrago lose points).
Fighting: Gurdurr. I actually appreciate conkeldurr's design quite a bit - it's cool to have a final form which represents old age, and its turning the concrete tube into crutches is a pretty neat idea. Gurdurr, on the other hand, is kind of the weakest link of the line, and of the fighting type overall. I guess its clownish look isn't completely unjustified, as it appears to be a throwback to circus strongmen, but the combination of that and construction worker kind of seems to right in the middle to the point of missing both "cool" appeal and "funny" appeal, to the point that there's not much appealing about it.
Ground: Palpitoad. This line as a whole had a pretty hard act to follow in terms of water/ground type amphibians, having two before them, and palpitoad also suffers from having to live up to poliwag's name as a tadpoke pokémon. The warts don't help.
Rock: Gigalith. As I said in the Least Favourite of Each Gen thread, the eye-ears are kind of bizarre, and it generally kind of sits uncomfortably between being an animate mineral and a mineralized animal.
Psychic: Gothorita. Its whole line basically seems like a literally less cool version of jynx's line, and I seem to recall gothorita's dex entry really creeping me out when I first read it.
Ghost: Dusknoir. Hard choice, as I'm inclined to like ghost types, so I went with the one I probably like the least. Dusknoir is probably the least appealing for me when it comes to ghost types, being just plain scary rather than the more fun shade of spooky most of Pokémon's ghosts are.
Dark: Pawniard. As with a few of the others here, I don't dislike it, it just falls a bit to the wayside; Kind of like chewtle, it mainly suffers from its unevolved state holding it back on the cool department, but its generally unfriendly demeanor keeping it from getting cute points. It's pretty much just a mini bisharp, which isn't my favourite pokémon to begin with.
Steel: Durant. If orbeetle was a waste of a type combo, durant is a waste of an animal source. Ants are some of the most complex animal species out there, and give a developer plenty to work with in terms of inspiration, and the best they could do for an ant pokémon is an addition to a type combo there are plenty of more usable representatives of that's basically just there to get messily devoured by heatmor? Vespiquen's line had more thought put into it, and their designers barely seemed to have picked up a book on how bees work. Not to mention the cheese that is its Dream World ability. I like a good pun as much as the next guy, but that was too much of a groaner even for me.
Fairy: Togetic. If for no other reason, than it suffers from having a hopeless act to follow in its unevolved form, kind of like metapod. As I implied earlier, I like fairy types, so at its absolute worst, a fairy type could be togetic, which means no more togepi, and I really like togepi.

I prefer all of the above to Mega Charizard X, though. It's the one thing I don't mind not making it into gen 8.