• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best/worst experiences with used games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My worst experience by far, has to be on a soulsilver which i got for virtually nothing. I was sring for a shiny starter and was at 1700+ srs . I dont stray from mm too frequently but was giving this a try and one day it just stopped. The error message came up on my 3ds and i never have been able to continue that hunt:(

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Everytime I beat the league on the used Emerald I bought way back when, my save file always get deleted.

So much for fakes.

It's pretty similar to my story.
I bought a fake Emerald version (without knowing it) on eBay and every single time my Kirlia was evolving into Gardevoir and I was out of the Meteor Falls for the first time, my game was deleted, like if these two facts were criterias to delete my saved files. After 3 times, I got annoyed, so I bought a real Sapphire game and it worked perfectly.

I never buy a used game, I prefer get a fresh and clean one. :p

Last edited:

Chewiana Jones

Dunsparciologist
Bought a used Silver. It didn't work. Got a used Crystal for my birthday. Still didn't work. Then Soulsilver came out, and all was right once more.

Cutty

Forever now
Probably from the fake games, the files always got deleted when I tried to migrate my pokemon to D/P/Plat.
But no I have original games now, so no worries no more.

My best experience with used games had to be two years ago. I asked my aunt to go out and buy my PMD Blue because I really liked Darkness and wanted to see if the prequels were just as good. She came back half an hour later with a very cheap used copy and my change. So I booted it up, and found that the save file was fully complete, with every item and a team of level 100s. I reseted it anyway.

PokemonTrainerKaden

I had to replace a battery in my Pokemon Blue, but it works fine now, so oh well.

Cheska

Just recently bought a used copy of Black 2 and got all excited when I saw that there were some event pokemon that I missed on that file. However, after digging around some more and finding that the dex was completed with all shiny pokemon I figured it was hacked :(

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
We bought Yellow Version used, and it won't save. (Seems to be a common problem.)

Red , which we also got used, works fine, as do Blue and Crystal (which we got new.)

Cyrius

Ice-Cold Charisma
I had just bought a used Pokmeon Emerald game, and the all of the pokemon thier were legit, and it had an Extreme Speed Zigzagoon :O

Cyberra

pain in the ***
All of my Pokemon games are used; I don't have the money for a new copy. Though I might get a new copy of SoulSilver for my birthday; I was commenting on it to my mom and she liked the pokewalker feature. Sees it as something to finally get me off my behind and move around.

When I got Diamond the first thing I did was reset it... Even if it'd had good rare pokemon in the PCs from the previous owner I had nothing to transfer them to. Eventually I figured out that getting the GBA games would bring in more pokemon, so I set out to look for them.

Total and utter noob that I am, I bought a cheap used copy of LeafGreen off ebay. Turned out to be a fake copy. It played fine, no glitches or hangups, but the Leafgreen insert pokemon never appeared in diamond, nor was there even an option to migrate them. I was not happy; I'd gotten a couple nice Vulpix in leafgreen. That fake copy is now gathering dust in my sock drawer.

After some sulking and growling, I managed to locate an authentic copy of LeafGreen and snapped it up. The previous owner had only four gym badges and nothing fancy in the PC, so I went and caught a couple common pokemon I needed for my pokedex, caught and transferred over zapdos, and transferred over their starter (wartortle). The game will now be reset and I'll play through it on my own.

I also got my hands on a used, authentic copy of Emerald. No hacks or anything as far as I can tell. The previous owner had eight badges but had not faced the elite four yet. I used their save file to catch a couple common pokemon and the three Regis, then transferred them and the starter (blaziken) to Diamond so I could wake Regigigas. Now I will reset that game and start over, too.

A friend of mine down the States has spare, legit copies of Ruby, Sapphire, and FireRed. She's going to send them to me as soon as she gets the chance ^_^

After some poking around the used game store I found a used copy of Platinum. It needs to be blown on before being inserted into the game slot, but it works. The previous owner had separate boxes for different-leveled pokemon. Nothing too fancy in the PC, and no shinies. They had caught the lake legendaries I'd accidentally knocked out in Diamond, so I transferred them over, caught magmar and electabuzz, then put it aside to restart and play through later.

My sister had a copy of Pearl, also used, but she'd restarted it to play and ended up not liking it. She gave it to me and loaned me her DS so I could trade evolve the pokemon I have that require trading to evolve, and then I restarted it to get the starters. She'd gotten lost in Wayward Cave before giving up, so I had to restart the game just to get out of there. Right now I'm playing through it to get the Pearl-version exclusives for my pokedex in Diamond.

On the subject of shinies, I only have one. I was hunting for Shuckle when I had a Random Encounter with a shiny Floatzel. I suck at chaining, apparently; I never get above 17 in the chain before it breaks >.<

Last edited:
I bought a used copy of black 2 from gamestop that had a huge pokedex, Like 500 something and all that was in the boxes were filled with herdiers and eggs -_-
THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME. i bought heartgold, soulsilver, and white 2. and the whole white 2 pokedex was filled. but boxes were empty.

magibas

Drragon Trainer
Is it common that used items don't work well?

If you don't really look into what you're buying... yes it can be common. If you can't inspect the cartridge yourself to make sure it's legit, then I wouldn't buy it. So beware of stuff on eBay and even amazon. The best way to get a genuine, working game is to just walk to your local game shop and take a peek at the cartridges. I haven't seen any fake DS games, just because there's not really a high demand for them, so they're generally safe(er) lol.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I got a used Pokemon Emerald. Everytime I beat the Pokemon leauge my file save is corrupted and I have to start all over again. I started over twice now.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
I had a Pokemon Ruby, had beaten the Elite 4 quite a few times, but was still enjoying the game.
Then I start playing one day, and it freezes as I start a battle; it also makes this very acute screeching noise. I got scared, since it was the first time that happened to me.
And then it kept on happening, only when I started battles; not all the time, but enough.

I realized a few weeks later that the cartridge was probably damaged due to it being in my swimming trunks when I went into the swimming pool.

MegaMudkipz

Best Trainer Ever
File corrupted in pokemon ruby when I bought it at GameStop and i was like FUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I returned it and asked them for another copy and it was fake i was so mad and they finally gave a new $40 still worth to remember my childhood :D

MegaMudkipz

Best Trainer Ever
Another worst when i playing sapphire a large screeching sound with my headphones all the way up and I threw my gba sp tht still worked when I haven't used it since 2004 and I woke my family up and my dad yelled at me i was about to cry it happened in July 13,2011 R.I.P gba sp 2003-2011 :(

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
I'm generally lucky with used games. However, when I got my copy of Emerald, I decided to have a look at the last person's save. The 'dex was completed, and I thought "Oh boy! I'm gonna put the best ones into my copy of Platinum!" (I got the third gen games late). All the boxes were full...of Treecko. So. Many. Treecko.

Why...? Who would waste that much time breeding that many Treecko?

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I bought Diamond to trade exclusives to my Pearl version and it had loads of event pokemon such as Deoxys, I think they were legit, too!

My worst experience must be when I bought a copy of Silver and played it for a good 2 hours, I then turned it off for a break, later I went on it to discover the save file disappeared due to a lack of a internal battery I think :/

Status
Not open for further replies.