• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best/worst experiences with used games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosso

DEAD ACCOUNT
This has been quite recent, i have never gotten a used Pokemon game because i have gotten most of them near their release, all except HG/SS.

Recently had the chance to get both Heart Gold and Soul Silver off of ebay, didn't really think of it at the time, didn't really care. Wanted these games so bad and when it arrived in the mail i was so happy. Played Heart Gold a couple hours and gotten to the 5th gym, saved it and turned it off. Next day i booted it up...sucker black screened. I deleted the file and started up Soul Silver. got to the same place, wanted to make sure so i did the same thing, saved and shut it off. Few seconds later i started it up..same thing happened. Went through the internet and forums to see if people had the same experience, most people online say that Pokemon game shipments out of china are pirated fakes. Needless to say, never trust Pokemon games out of china on ebay.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Never bought a used game except for from Gamestop, although the cleared the save, so it doesn't count.

My brother bought a used Pearl from Gamestop, with a file on it. We didn't check it, though.

Ninfia-Fan

SoulSilver. Why? I got it from EBay and it had the legendary birds/dogs and a legit. ARCEUS. I was stupid at the time and I thought I'd be able to get the Arceus again through the story, so I restarted. Worst mistake ever. I still regret and hate my younger self for that descision.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Let's see... Red version, I bought directly from a friend.
I wanted to see what he had done before I started my own game, so I checked his save file.
It seems he had encountered the Missingno. glitch, because he had many stacks of Rare Candies in the bag.
But I started up my own game and it was fine.

Orgetorix

Dark Lord of Nowhere
I bought a pre-owned SoulSilver from Gamestop once, on it was a guy named Mason's completed game with many high level pokemon. It also included a shiny Drowzee and the event shiny Raikou I had missed out on. I was very happy to finally complete that trio.

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
I bought Pokemon LeafGreen online once. I hadn't played the First Generation games and since I figured I had the software (read: GBA) I would try to get back into it.

The game froze up just after beating Misty on the Rare Candy Bridge. And nothing I could do would stop it.

To this day I still haven't played Generation 1 games.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I bought Pokemon LeafGreen online once. I hadn't played the First Generation games and since I figured I had the software (read: GBA) I would try to get back into it.

The game froze up just after beating Misty on the Rare Candy Bridge. And nothing I could do would stop it.

To this day I still haven't played Generation 1 games.

Yeah me too with Generation III for the most part. I played Gen I and II. Took a long hiatus due to my parents not wanting to buy an expensive GBA at the time, but I did continue playing Pokémon somewhat when I played Colloseum and XD for the Gamecube. But then I finally got back in Gen IV when I got older.

Recently, I really wanted to experience Gen III so I bought a "used" Ruby from Amazon. Even though it ended up being fake, I still wanted to play it. However, the file keeps deleting itself and the farthest I got was the bridge with the two girls; where you have your first double battle.

With used Pokémon games I have had no bad experiences, if you don’t count the cant understand what is being said in my Japanese pearl and platinum. I have bough a used black that I know the previous owner had cheated, as when I looked at it they started it on Christmas day and last played it on boxing day, so a full 2 days of playing, and they had filled box one and 2 with gen 1 Pokémon from bulbasaur to jynx all shiny and the party was all 3 black starters, keldio, mellota and genesect all shiny. This didn’t bother me, I continued playing her save as she still hadn’t went to the next town, so apart from the fact that she had nicknamed the Pokémon stupid things like pigie and ponie it was like I had started the game myself.

Griever789

I once got a pokemon leaf green version that kept freezing all the time. I never knew why it just kept freezing at random times even when I restarted the file. I never knew what was up so I just sold it and got another copy which worked well.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
I bought a LG used copy from gamestop a while ago which the previous owner had stacks on stacks of level 100 pokemon on it.

I got a pre owned copy of Pearl from EB Games once and when I checked the save file the pokedex was complete, the player was rich (I think over 500 000 pokedollars) and there were heaps of level 100 pokemon. I think most of them were hacks though.

Last edited:

Vikings

Oracle
After Diamond was out for a while and I finished building my team and taking out the Elite 4, I wanted to obtain all the legendaries I could get. Sadly I couldn't use GTS since my WiFi was WPA and I couldn't change it to WEP, but I thought of a way to get whatever legendaries I was missing without hacking. I went to GameStop and bought a used copy of Ruby, went home, transfered all the Pokemon from it to my Diamond game. Later I'd go back to a GameStop and ask to trade it for another game like Sapphire. Transfer from Sapphire to Diamond, rinse and repeat. Thought I was genius for thinking of that at the time lol.

One of the games I came across was pretty awesome though. It was a Fire Red. Had several legendaries and a full team of 6 at level 100. When I was heading to the Pokemon Center to transfer them to Diamond, I walked into the grass and was blown away when a legit shiny Raikou popped up. Was super lucky the guy hadn't used his Masterball yet, threw it right away.

I still have the copy of FireRed, was done switching around GameStop games in hopes of getting legendaries after that. Too bad since the game wasn't originally mine I didn't consider it to be me actually catching a shiny, so still am yet to catch one after 14 years.

Soulsilvers

Legendary Trainer
Well I am kind of a person who doesn't like used games (for the hacked reasons above), but I once got a used copy of Pokemon Ruby for my 8th birthday. By this time I had played every other Gen III game (and I Red Rescue Team) and I was so excited. I popped it in to my GameBoy and started it up. It literally would not work. I turned it on and off about 6 times (and yes I remember this). I told my dad how this would not work, so he had to drive back to GameStop and get another, which did work and still had a save file with a level 13 Mudkip names "SoIHrdULik", which I had not heard of the meme before, and a Level 6 Wingull. I deleted the save and started a new one, and I choose Treeko. Arguably the worst starter from Gen 3. It took me longer than any other game to beat (with the exception of LeafGreen which took me two years XD. Please don't judge me) and I blacked out much more than often (I never blacked out in Black, Black 2, SoulSilver, FireRed, and Emerald, 14 times in LeafGreen because of the Elite 4, and 3 times in Sapphire). It is not cool to black out like 50 times. I stopped playing after I reached Level 53 with Sceptile. So, now I'm thinking about getting used versions of Red, Yellow, Silver, and Crystal. I am very nervous (wish me luck XD).

Enjolras

Master of the House
Well I am kind of a person who doesn't like used games (for the hacked reasons above), but I once got a used copy of Pokemon Ruby for my 8th birthday. By this time I had played every other Gen III game (and I Red Rescue Team) and I was so excited. I popped it in to my GameBoy and started it up. It literally would not work. I turned it on and off about 6 times (and yes I remember this). I told my dad how this would not work, so he had to drive back to GameStop and get another, which did work and still had a save file with a level 13 Mudkip names "SoIHrdULik", which I had not heard of the meme before, and a Level 6 Wingull. I deleted the save and started a new one, and I choose Treeko. Arguably the worst starter from Gen 3. It took me longer than any other game to beat (with the exception of LeafGreen which took me two years XD. Please don't judge me) and I blacked out much more than often (I never blacked out in Black, Black 2, SoulSilver, FireRed, and Emerald, 14 times in LeafGreen because of the Elite 4, and 3 times in Sapphire). It is not cool to black out like 50 times. I stopped playing after I reached Level 53 with Sceptile. So, now I'm thinking about getting used versions of Red, Yellow, Silver, and Crystal. I am very nervous (wish me luck XD).

Getting used versions of Gen I and II games will be extremely hard.

First game I got was Ruby from a friend. I had been the one to play it whenever I was at her house so it was basically mine before.
Then a beautiful person online sent me a package all at her own expense of Pearl, Platinum, Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald. Her Emerald file had many traded pokes from Fire Red and Leaf Green so that was awesome.
Then one day my brother was at a garage sale and phoned me to tell me there were pokemon games there. I ran through a thunderstorm and bought Gold, Silver, Blue and Yellow for $5 each plus a gameboy for $25. Needless to say the internal batteries were gone so I replaced them and played :)

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
Bought a used Soulsilver online for like 10 bucks. It sitll had the save file and on it was a shiny Jolteon!

Status
Not open for further replies.