• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Best/Worst Gen 3 sprites

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
What are some of your favorite Gen 3 sprites and some of your least favorites?

My favorite sprite was Deoxys' Attack forme sprite in Fire Red and my least favorite was the Swampert sprite in Gen 3 because it looked ghastly and kind of intimidating too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I like quite a few of the Gen III sprites, such as Hassam's (Scizor's) and Lugia's. I also think that Mew has one of the cutest sprites in the Gen III games, especially the animated version in Emerald. The worst sprite in Gen III from my perspective would have to be Latias's sprite.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
-R/S/E Gengar - the animation makes it even creepier

I think the R/S/E version of that sprite is indeed more scary-looking compared to the LG/FR version, but that only goes for the frontal sprite. The Gangar back sprite in LG/FR is by far better from my viewpoint, because it makes Gangar look larger and tougher and makes its back spikes look more defined.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
I also rather dislike the Generation III sprites for Salamence (not only are the colours wrong, but it looks flattened, too) and Tyranitar (what is it even doing with its neck?).

As a huge Bohmander (Salamence) fan, I think that the sprite's colors are fine, but I do agree that the sprite looks shorter than it should be considering Bohmander's actual size. I don't understand why its sprite looks shorter than, say, Kairyu's (Dragonite's).

Sakuyamon

Dragonite's sprite in RSE was bad but it got fixed in LeafGreen & FireRed. The best sprite in all the generation 3 games was the Aerodactyl sprite from RSE.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
Dragonite's sprite in RSE was bad but it got fixed in LeafGreen & FireRed. The best sprite in all the generation 3 games was the Aerodactyl sprite from RSE.

I agree that Kairyu (Dragonite) had an awful sprite in R/S/E. It looks particularly bad in Emerald version from my perspective, because the animation doesn't do it any justice when it's already quite bad to begin with.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Best sprite: Mew's sprite that I'm pretty sure was the same in all the Generation 3 games.

Worst sprite: Teddiursa's RSE sprite because it's the wrong color.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
Best sprite: Mew's sprite that I'm pretty sure was the same in all the Generation 3 games.

Worst sprite: Teddiursa's RSE sprite because it's the wrong color.

Actually, Mew's sprite in LG/FR was ever-so-slightly different from its R/S/E sprite because its tail in LG/FR was noticeably longer. But I agree that Himeguma's (Teddiursa's) R/S/E sprite was incorrectly colored: it should've been more orange than tan.