1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Best/Worst Horror Movie of the Decade

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by bobjr, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:05 AM.

1. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

This is a copied idea, but one I really like. I hear a ton about what movies define a decade, and I want to hear what people have to say from a horror movie perspective, because those are a personal favorite of mine. Since preference does take into account, I would like to hear why you liked/didn't like the movie, and it helps against people just saying something is bad.

Worst Movie: The Devil Inside. I actually like found footage films if they do something unique or creative, but this movie doesn't even end on a cheap jump scare, this is a theatrical film that ends telling you to go to a website.

Best Movie: In terms of all factors I'd have to say Get Out. This is a film that builds on themes across a generation and decade and isn't afraid to hide it across symbolism, it's something that will make you question a systemic theme.

Alternate option: V/H/S: This is an Anthology film that captures horror if you're filming from a VHS recorder, and while so many cheap options use this for cheap jump scares, outside of 1 story (the glitch one) this does a very good job of making these videos feel real

Alternate option 2: It Follows: This is a brilliant film with a creative monster, and doesn't spell things out at all. There are several points where you aren't sure if anyone is this monster, and they establish a clear pattern of logic that both preys on modern fears, but isn't cheap enough to laugh at.

2. Hydrangea

Hydrangea 風に吹き Staff Member

Honestly, I completely agree with your picks for the best. Get Out in particular is not only a fantastic horror movie, but just a great movie period. I think it's a perfect film for people who aren't typical horror fans as it does so much with it's narrative.

My pick for Worst would likely be The Curse of La Llorona. Not only does it fail as a horror movie, but it could have been any generic ghost movie. La Llorona is a creepy concept as a whole, and the movie could have been done really well... but it just seems like another typical "ghost haunts family hurr durr" movie. Not to mention that they had the audacity to make it into a movie in The Conjuring universe?