1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Beta Olivine House

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Gulzar, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gulzar

Gulzar Grass Trainer

Hey! It’s been a while since I posted a new thread.
    For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Gulzar and I hunt through the programming of Pokémon games in search of “beta programming.” Beta programming is anything programmed into a game that was not intended for the final release. In my search, I have discovered many beta maps, beta music, and other beta finds. You can see some of these finds here, here, and here.

A while back, I was exploring the event programming of Pokémon GSC. When I focused in on Olivine, I discovered that there was an extra house map associated with Olivine’s main map. This was a startling find, since I had assumed that all houses programmed into the game were accessible in regular game-play. I used Goldmap to view the events programming of the Olivine map, and this is what I saw.
    Strangely enough, I seemed to be in working condition. Since the warp tile was up in the corner of the map, without a door nearby, it would be inaccessible during normal game-play.
    But since I don’t do “normal game-play,” I was able to access it with some tweaking.
    First, I added a door just below the Olivine gym in order to make the warp tile accessible. Next, I moved the warp tile to the door. This is what the resulting map looked like.
    I then started up my emu and brought my character to the door, shown here.
    I then proceeded to enter the beta house… Sounds like a scary story, doesn’t it? Inside was very strange.

Beta Olivine house part 1
    Beta Olivine house part 2

As you can see, there are two sprites in the house, one is a woman and the other is a pokémon of sorts. The pokémon sprite changes as it walks, form a Rhydon-shape to a Clefairy-shape. I first checked the map on the wall, the window, the tv, and the bookcase. All were in working condition, and did nothing abnormal.
    Then I spoke with the pokémon. It said this. It apparently was a Rhydon. After, I spoke with the woman, and here is what she said: 1, 2, 3.
    As you can see from the conversation, the woman refers to a pharmacy in Ecruteak, as opposed to in Cianwood. Apparently, the pharmacy was originally intended to be located in Ecruteak. Maybe Cianwood city was not planed to even exist.

I consider this find of a beta house to be a rare one: never before or since have I found a beta house.

My question: What do you think of this? Was Cianwood city a last-minute addition? Was this house planned to exist in Olivine, or some other place? I know you all have good ideas!
    ;001;

2. Gridiron

Gridiron Well-Known Member

Cianwood could have been a last minute addition, considering that the beta Lake of Rage has a gym in it.

3. Serebii93

Serebii93 too... much...

Dang Gulzar! You are a true hacker. I don't think anyone has even dreamed of being you. Well, I guess I'm going to have to congrat you again for another abnormal find. Strange. What's with all the 'P's and 'W's? They bother me.

4. Alphonse Elric

Alphonse Elric That's My Rule!!!

I noticed those weird little "W"s on the door tiles in other beta houses before.

I find it quite strange, the "pharmacist in Ecruteak" thing and all, and the... er, "Rhydon" which somehow turned into a Clefairy on the second screenshot. It could be possible that Cianwood was a last-minute add-in, since Lake of Rage was originally supposed to be a town...

5. The Organizer

The Organizer Banned

Thats pretty cool, and i think youre right about the olvine city being added at last minute.

6. pugman3000

pugman3000 Pokemon Veteran

That's an awsome find. I think that it is very possible that Cianwood could have been an add-in, that is probably the best explaination.

7. Spock

Spock Live Long & Prosper

Quite possibly they might not have wanted to add "everything" in Ecruteak city. They had a gym, the theater, Ho-oh's tower, the beasts, and Mortar to the right, leading to a Tyrouge. They needed to think outside the gaming city box, I suppose.

8. Bloodstar

Bloodstar Guest

Lake of Rage being a town...

Perhaps this explains why you can fly to it? o_O

9. muckers

muckers *yawn*

Ah, so that's where that warp point leads to.

I'd seen it when doing some hacking of my own, but never actually thought of exploring what it might be.

Good find - odd why they just moved the warp over some trees rather than deleting it altogether...

10. You could be right though.

11. Mega Trickster

Mega Trickster Blargagh blargh

Interesting.

Kinda offtopic but my friend says he used a walk through walls cheat on GSC near the ruins and found a weird house he couldn't enter...does it really exsist? I would try but my Gold's battery = dead.

12. Gulzar

Gulzar Grass Trainer

Yeah, it does seem like a possibility that Cianwood was a last minute add-on.
    Also, about the W’s and P’s and stuff on the map picture, they just represent where warp tiles and people are.
    Mega Trickster: I think there was a thread about that. I’ve seen the “locked house,” but it’s nothing special.

Keep the ideas coming!
    ;001;

13. DIZZI

DIZZI SOS Brigade Member 7

hmmmmm maybe cianwood was a last minute add on but then there is stuff about our gamea that we dont know and thats why youre here Gulzar

14. If there was a pharmacy in Ekruteak why dont you look for it. Or see if Cianwood would just be water. (Ignore if this makes no sense I dont understand hacking very well)

15. muckers

muckers *yawn*

No don't be - that's a very good idea. See if Ectruteak did have a Pharmacy somewhere. Mabye there's an offset warp point like with Olivine?

16. Gulzar

Gulzar Grass Trainer

Yeah, it’s a very good idea to look for a pharmacy in Ecruteak. The warp tile is probably not there still. That doesn’t mean the map isn’t hidden somewhere, though. :)

I wonder what Cianwood would look like without the town there? I guess the Whirl Islands would just be a dead-end.

I’ll see what more I can find.
    ;001;

17. Ninetails

Ninetails Well-Known Member

Very interesting finds. I would go hacking around in my GBA emulator but I don't have a way to take screencaps of what I'm doing. ^^;

Also, if there weren't originally a Cianwood City, then where was Chuck's gym originally? D:

- Ninetails. ;038;

18. DanK84

DanK84 Manyula Trainer

Maybe his gym was the Lake of Rage Town one. Eh, I could be wrong. XD

Anyway, these are some great finds indeed. It would make sense if Cianwood was a last minute addition.

19. Waffles

Waffles WACKY DELLY YEAH

It's stuff like this that makes me want a beta build of G/S that badly.

Cianwood a last minute throw? It could have been the site for Lugia's dungeon before it became a town.[/randomspeculation]

20. DarkTyphlosion

DarkTyphlosion Soul Trainer

yeah, I agree with whoever said that u should look in the Beta Eurateak for a pharmacy,...

and BTW, how do u access thw Beta version of these GSC games? is it a version? or is it actual hacking into the code of the game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.