• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Better Eight Than Never! (256)

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I thought this was a great gym battle. I thought Ash made a smart choice in getting Snorlax from Professor Oak. I was surprised that Clair used Kingdra as her first Pokemon. In the video game I thought it was her strongest. I was surprised to see that Snorlax was able to use Ice Punch. I thought the fight between Pikachu and Gyrados was pretty good. Pikachu's agility worked really well, and Gyrados was defeated. Now, I thought the fight between Charizard and Dragonair was awesome! It shocked me that Charizard's fire evaporated all the water in the pool. I thought that Ash made a smart move to have Charizard use Fire Spin while concealed in Dragon Rage. I was glad to see Ash get his final badge before the Johto League. I wondered throughout the episode why Kaburagi opened the roof to the gym. To me, that just gave Charizard an advantage.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Mmm, great gym battle, one of my favorites.

Charizard was awesome. and Snorlax also.

9/10

CliveKoopa

One of the best gym battles out of all gym battles. I was a bit surprised at Brock's comment at Dragonair still able to learn Safeguard as Pokemon don't forget moves in the anime. How would Brock know about Dragonair's movelist anyway?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I didn't think it was very "epic". I guess that after the whole Viridian gym battle episode, I was expecting a crazy battle but all I got was more Charizard battling, which I find boring after so many episodes. I loved Clair's team though, especially Kingdra which I think stole the battle. Snorlax was good too, nice to see that it's a good battler and that it doesn't just eat and sleep like most of it's species. Overall, I thought the battle and the story were mediocre, nothing too good or bad. Ash showed a few good battle tactics but nothing that made me want to cheer for him. 6/10

Last edited:

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I thought this was a good gym battle, okay not the best but I liked the battle between Charizard and Dragonair. Flaming Sesmic toss lol, yeah it's nice when they combine moves in the anime, can't do it in the games (Btw Jolteon using thunder while tackling would be Volt Tackle if you ask me)

Sayho1234

Lol, I wonder if the dub title was 4Kids poking fun @ even them wondering just how long this saga was going to drag out :p.

Overall I rate this entire 4-parter a 10/10 :D!

firestar319

The Marauder
It was a really well done gym battle. Nice to see Snorlax get some gym battle action. Flaming Seismic Toss was just incredible.

8.5/10

Vernikova

Champion
I liked how Snorlax preformed in this battle and I liked the way that it went down as well. A Hyper Beam to the face if I remember correctly. Of course the battle boils down to Dragonair vs. Charizard. in my opinion, Claire using Dragon Rage to counter Seismic Toss was a great counter and a very nice thing to see. For some reason though, Flaming Seismic Toss wasn't as impressive. It was good to see Ash get his eighth badge anyway.

G50

No longer posting
This was my favorite Johto Gym Battle. I liked how Ash's 3 battling Pokemon each defeated Clair's Pokemon. It was cool seeing Dragonbreath used for the 1st time. I really liked the strategy Ash used when Snorlax was battling Kingdra. The Ice Punch to KO Kingdra was very cool. Charizard vs Dragonair was an awesome battle! I'm glad Charizard won to give Ash a victory. Is it just me, or does Dragon Rage change every time it's in an episode?

99/100

TheEpicGoomba

Cool gym battle. Cool to see Snorlax and Charizard again. Also has anyone noticed that when Charizard uses Seismic Toss on Dragonaire when it is defeated it no longer has it's horn anymore like it was destroyed or something.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
The animation for this episode was horrid, which I found rather distracting for the final gym battle. Gyarados and Snorlax looked horrendous.

I particularly enjoyed the exchgange between Jessie and Meowth: "Do you smell that?" "Dat was me..." (or whatever the lines were)

I dislike the insinuation that Ash's Johto team just ultimately is inferior to his Kanto team. Whether that's true or not, he gave in before he was even done with Johto and went back to Kanto. I'm so glad the Advanced reboot happened.

Also, Brock makes it seem like flying resists Electric when analyzing Gyarados. What the...?

I really really enjoyed this episode and the gym battle. Great battle. I first have to say that Charizard, Snorlax and Pikachu are 3 of my favorite Pokemon that Ash has ever caught and I also think they are some of his most powerful so seeing all 3 of them used during this gym battle was epic. And I loved that each of them won a battle. Snorlax vs Kingdra was a very good battle. Snorlax is a beast. It's absolutely amazing how much attacks he can take and keep going. That Pokemon has such great defense and offense. It would later prove to be a powerhouse in the Johto League against Gary and Harrison. We don't get to see Snorlax that much. I love his personality and I am really glad Ash decided to use Snorlax. Pikachu was also really impressive against Gyrados. Great speed and using agility helped Pikachu to climb up to Gyrados and use its electric attacks to finish it off. Then of course Charizard vs Dragonair was amazing. That fire seismic toss at the end was great. Charizard is a fighter. I loved seeing him back with Ash since he is my favorite Pokemon from the anime. And Ash got his 8th badge which was awesome. This was a great gym battle and a really great episode. 10/10.

The animation for this episode was horrid, which I found rather distracting for the final gym battle. Gyarados and Snorlax looked horrendous.

I particularly enjoyed the exchgange between Jessie and Meowth: "Do you smell that?" "Dat was me..." (or whatever the lines were)

I dislike the insinuation that Ash's Johto team just ultimately is inferior to his Kanto team. Whether that's true or not, he gave in before he was even done with Johto and went back to Kanto. I'm so glad the Advanced reboot happened.

Well as far as i remember Ash's Johto team is not inferior to his Kanto team.He didn't give up anything at the end of Johto,besides the fact we didn't see Snorlax battle a whole lot in the Orange Islands saga and it was good to see him in his first and only Johto gym battle,it was also good to see how much stronger Charizard has become since he left Ash's team early on in Johto and Charizard being used in this clair gym battle was really great to see how much he have improve. Advanced didn't reboot anything since he would used the Kanto team again at the end of the Advanced series...This was one hell of a epic episode.

Also, Brock makes it seem like flying resists Electric when analyzing Gyarados. What the...?

Last edited:

Well as far as i remember Ash's Johto team is not inferior to his Kanto team.He didn't give up anything at the end of Johto,besides the fact we didn't see Snorlax battle a whole lot in the Orange Islands saga and it was good to see him in his first and only Johto gym battle,it was also good to see how much stronger Charizard has become since he left Ash's team early on in Johto and Charizard being used in this clair gym battle was really great to see how much he have improve. Advanced didn't reboot anything since he would used the Kanto team again at the end of the Advanced series...This was one hell of a epic episode.

They clearly said at the beginning of the episode that it was smart Ash brought in Snorlax because they knew that his Johto team would have a tough time against the dragon Pokemon. And yeah, I noticed it too when Brock said that Pikachu may have a hard against Gyrados because even though Gyrados is a water type, it is also a flying type. I don't know why Brock said that. Maybe because Gyrados can levitate, Brock thought Pikachu would have trouble reaching it with his attacks. Who know?

They clearly said at the beginning of the episode that it was smart Ash brought in Snorlax because they knew that his Johto team would have a tough time against the dragon Pokemon. And yeah, I noticed it too when Brock said that Pikachu may have a hard against Gyrados because even though Gyrados is a water type, it is also a flying type. I don't know why Brock said that. Maybe because Gyrados can levitate, Brock thought Pikachu would have trouble reaching it with his attacks. Who know?

Yeah it was a good move that Ash did bring his Snorlax back for this gym battle are his Johto team would have had a very tough battle on their hands,besides the fact Clair's dragon pokemon were more powerful then they look.Pikachu had a very good battle against Gyrados i will admit to that.

7threst

Really great gym battle this was. I loved how both Charizard and Snorlax were in this episode and how stronger Charizard became after his stay in the valley. It was a stroke of genius by using Snorlax endurance in order to tire out Kingdra. Gyrados was really strong and Snorlax put up a good fight, but it was overall already weakened by the previous fight. And when Pikachu faces Gyrados, you would assume Gyrados was - even with a type-disadvantage- dominating mostly, but how Ash used that agility on the Hydro Pump was even more genius. It was then of course a inevitable before Charizard was called out to fight against Dragonair and I absolutely loved that battle even more.

All by all, this was a really solid gym battle and a really difficult one for Ash.