• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Better Layouts/Skins

What do you think of Serebii's layouts?

• They're fantastic already! No need for a change!

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I'm not one to care about layouts and such...

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • They're abysmal! >_< Change. Now.

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

blueguy

used Metronome!
Serebiiforums is the biggest and one of the best pokémon forums out there, but what's surprising is that it's layouts are really poor. I'm not being ungrateful, but I just think that introducing quality layouts will enhance the overall experience of the forums. While PokéCommunity may be a much smaller forum, its layouts are nice to look at. There is a wide variety to choose from, and all of them are great. Serebii's, on the other hand, are poorly laid out, with terrible color schemes and barely any images, except the badly placed three at the top of the page.

How could we solve this? Why not ask some talented graphic artists on SPPf to contribute?

So, discuss, and tear me to shreds if you like.

Last edited:

Fox

Where's my fanfare?
No matter what is done, there will be people who don't like layouts. At least the way things are right now, you have a choice of many. I personally use Serebii.net V7.0, as the colors aren't too contrasting or bright. The steel one is also visually appealing to my eyes.

Anyway, a forum is meant for discussion, not to look pretty. The ONLY thing that can be troublesome would be color schemes which can be too bright/dark/contrasting, but there are layouts that are fine.

If there were to be more images on the layouts, it'd take much more bandwith than anything else, since the images would be loaded one every page.

A layout shouldn't be flashy with a lot of images. It should be simple and and visually acceptable. If there were many images and such, the forums would take much longer to load and we'd probably experience more down/lag time.

E

Ethereal

Well, SOME more wouldn't hurt. As Wolf Goddess suggested, seasonal skins are a nifty idea. Christmas, Valentine's Day, and some other commercially driven times of year could have their own skins that are available only during certain times of year. I dunno, something to make this place look more exciting and inviting. Then again, I couldn't care less, as I only use the Dark skin. ;/

But...this thread will just be closed with an adamant "no", and that'll be that. ¬¬

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Are you kidding? PC's styles are vomit enducing

Kal-El

Mush! Mush!
Serebii said:
Are you kidding? PC's styles are vomit enducing
Isn't that a bit unprofessional?

I actually believe PC's are slightly more... interesting then what we have here.

I don't mind the layouts here but I feel they could be better. However, Serebii does have a life so he doesn't have much time for this stuff with uni and the site and what not.

blueguy

used Metronome!
Serebii said:
Its not unprofessional since they are asethetically displeasing, it would be unprofessional if I had no justification to my statement but I do therefore I win :p

Um - excuse me, but WHAT?

Are you kidding me? You actually believe that in comparison PC has worse layouts? You're sadly mistaken! Many of Serebii's layouts are merely the same color in different shades, with three poorly assembled images at the top. EACH of them is terrible in its own special way.

Pokécommunity shows some effort. Yours look like they were put together by a toddler. And, so what if Serebii "doesn't have enough time"? Why does he need to be involved at all, because if he made these layouts, he shouldn't be. As I said before, ASK SOME TALENTED GRAPHIC ARTISTS HERE AT SPFF! What's so hard about that?

As for those that claim that a forum doesn't have to be nice to look at, I beg to differ. I enjoy posting at these forums, and an aesthetically pleasing layout would only enhance my experience.

I think you're being rude and ignorant, Serebii, automatically claiming "you win". Why can't you actually listen to a member's suggestion or idea?

Last edited:

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
If you're on PC, can you do some screen shots of the styles, for those of us who don't go there. I would like to see their 'vomit inducing aesthetically displeasing' layouts and compare them to the ones here.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Well their ones have just different shades like us just bigger banners, like One

http://www.pokecommunity.com/?styleid=30

having the banner take up half the screen on a 1152x864 Resolution. Others have clashing colours (worse than ours)

And there are many like this

They are much worse than ours

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
blueguy said:
Many of Serebii's layouts are merely the same color in different shades

What a revelation! Suppose the background was pink and the foreground was a combination of eye-splitting green and yellow. That would be... 1 user using that style (you).

blueguy said:
As for those that claim that a forum doesn't have to be nice to look at, I beg to differ. I enjoy posting at these forums, and an aesthetically pleasing layout would only enhance my experience.

What layout here isn't "aesthetically pleasing"? Usually, I stick to v9.0 or ground-type, but ... who cares about the style not being phantasmagorical if it doesn't destroy your retinal nerve? (refering to a few other sites I'm not going to mention)

blueguy

used Metronome!
RaZoR LeAf said:
If you're on PC, can you do some screen shots of the styles, for those of us who don't go there. I would like to see their 'vomit inducing aesthetically displeasing' layouts and compare them to the ones here.

Just go to the site... It's really quite simple. You'll see that a lot of them are really nice to look at.

Serebii said:
Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder thank you very much and there was no reason to insult the people who brought ours together

You think I'm being rude & arrogant well you are even moreso so bite me

If you're in college, why are you resorting to an insult along the lines of "no, I'm not, you are! Nananbooboo!"? Well, I happen to recognize a bad layout when I see one, and this one is bad, at least in the eyes of THIS beholder.

Last edited:

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
You do realise we have almost 35 Layouts on the forums right? You obviously just havent chosen the right one.

And I wasn't insulting you, I was just correctly placing the words to a description of you. And I'm in University, I finished College almost 2 years ago thanks :)

Ilex

Oddish plzkthnxbai
I would be pleased if you changed the forum markers to match the skin, having bright green Celebi on dark type skin is pretty annoying.
You should change the forum markers to Pokemon that match the theme of the skin.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Ilex said:
I would be pleased if you changed the forum markers to match the skin, having bright green Celebi on dark type skin is pretty annoying.
You should change the forum markers to Pokemon that match the theme of the skin.
Have been considering using Torozei Icons for that since Torozei came out, but I'm lazy so :p

blueguy

used Metronome!
Serebii said:
Have been considering using Torozei Icons for that since Torozei came out, but I'm lazy so :p

That would be one way to improve the layouts that are available now, since I see that there's no point in me trying to make any changes happen. I think that you should use those icons. Why not? You're too lazy? That's the answer? If so, it's not a good answer at all. If you really care about the forums, why aren't you listening to users when they suggest things that would only make things better (an example would be some of the useful hacks suggested)? Instead you completely ignore anything that anyone has to say.

blueguy

used Metronome!
Serebii said:
How about me paying over $300 a month to keep the site and forums up...is that me not caring about the forums?

No. Of course that shows that you care, but don't you think that if you are paying so much for these forums you should make them the best that they can be (a.k.a. adding some of the useful hacks suggested, getting better layouts)?

C

+Chaos Blade+

Not to be stupid or SPAMmy, but wouldn't that cost more if you wanted to install more skins?