• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Better sprites in R/B than Yellow

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Right, we all know the Red, Blue and especially Green sprites were, for the most part, beyond atrocious, some of them looking nothing like they do today. (Some people might find charm in that I guess though, so I shouldn't be so quick to judge) With the release of Yellow the sprites were done more like their anime counterparts, resulting in overall much nicer looking sprites.

However, there are exceptions to this...which sprites do you think are better in Red and Blue (maybe even Green?) than in Yellow?

For whatever reason, I really don't like Caterpie's Yellow sprite. The Red and Blue sprite for it was much simpler and looked much better, in fact the GSC sprite for it is very similar to the RB one.

Phoopes

There it is.
I have to agree with you on the Caterpie one. Never really did like the Yellow sprite for it. Also, I'm going to have to say Ditto. Something just turned me off of its Yellow sprite.

Kalosian

So long
From Red and Blue, I think Venusaur, Raticate, Nidoqueen, Meowth, Abra, Staryu, Starmie, Magikarp and Porygon look better than in Yellow.
From Green, I think Parasect, Magikarp and Snorlax look better than in Yellow.

I liked Weedle's for some reason. I think it was mostly because I couldn't catch it. I think Dragonite's sprite looked best in Green. I think Yellow had the most clean looking sprites in general but I still prefer the R/B/G ones.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Zapdos and Gyarados from RB come to mind.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I have to agree with you on the Caterpie one. Never really did like the Yellow sprite for it. Also, I'm going to have to say Ditto. Something just turned me off of its Yellow sprite.

I would have to go with Ditto too. I didn't like how it was grey in Yellow.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
Mewtwo from R/B was incredible. Still the best sprite for it.

ToeyJoey

The Count
He looks too cute now, to start with he looked like he was going to rip your throat out, now he's going to give you a hug.

xDWarrior

Charmander looked kinda funny in Yellow compared to Red and Blue. In all 3 versions Charizard's back-sprite is just God-awful, slightly unrelated I know, but still xD

Aquarelle

Staff member
Charmander looked kinda funny in Yellow compared to Red and Blue. In all 3 versions Charizard's back-sprite is just God-awful, slightly unrelated I know, but still xD

I think Yellow uses the exact same back sprites as Red & Blue iirc...but yeah, Charizard's back sprite is so weird looking. >_>

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I like Yellow's sprites better