• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Beware of Shovels!! (965)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
That's the whole reason why it was like that.

And possibly because it's a main cast Pokemon.

i'm hoping it was because Sandygast isn't a main cast pokemon that his wasn't anything special. I really really hope everyone elses pokemon evolutions are just as crazy as Steenee's.
It'd be funny if they tried to reference other evolution sequences from different animes with each of the main cast pokemon :p

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
One interesting thing to notice is that Sandygast's evolution into Palossand used the evolution animation from BW/XY. Don't know why it returned to that animation so suddenly, especially since Steenee's evolution looked very impressive and like a typical transformation scene in Magical Girl-type anime.
That's the whole reason why it was like that.

And possibly because it's a main cast Pokemon.
They could've done something besides a magical girl transformation to avoid the generic glow. For example, Sandgast could've started spinning around until it became a small sand cyclone. As it got larger, its color would change from beige to orange and it would then sink into the ground, where it's body would then emerge as a Palossand.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

I hate sand. It's course, dry, and it can mind-control and kill you.

Pros:

* Ash training on-screen

* Kiawe's story

* Rotom detective obsession

* Ash rockin' the Litten shirt

Cons:

* This entire hullabaloo could have been so easily avoided with smarter decision-making

* Strange filler

Thoughts:

* In real world biology, losing that shovel would cause life-threatening bleeding

* in real world biology, Ash would be dissolving in digestive juices or crushed to death

* How tf is that Palossand so strong? Maybe Ash should catch that..

* Um...so did they all die?

3/10

Last ten episodes ratings: 4/4/7/7.5/7/4/4/5/3.5/8.5
Average of episodes 11-20: 4.95/10
Average of episodes 1-10: 6.6/10

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
On a side note I'm hoping they keep to the Pokemon mostly being out of their balls this series. It's really helpful in terms of characterisation and interaction, and since limelight can be moderated this series due to static locations, it has a chance of not getting convoluted.

It feels like it's not just the main cast. You can see it in several episodes, loads of people have their pokémon out. For instance in Episode 21 I've seen Riolu, Elekid, Electabuzz, Machop, Makuhita, Abra, Herdier, and several others all outside of their balls without being in a fight. It's all in the background but it's there.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
What a cool pokemon! It can control peoples mind just by using its shovel, Ash should have caught it. I hope we see more detective stuff in the future. I liked this one.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
This episode in the dub is proof that whoever is in charge of the music doesn't know what is doing in the series.

Today, they kept "We'll fight too!", an amazing remix from a M02 theme composed for M18. But they replace it back in the Hala battle! WTF

Same with the Z-Move theme, that was kept today, and it's always replaced when someone uses a Z-Move (like in Episode 19), the only exception being episode 1, where it was kept.

So yeah, I appreciate they're keeping good themes, but please, be coherent and ALWAYS keep them. It feels so random and incoherent this way.

FelipoDepot

This episode in the dub is proof that whoever is in charge of the music doesn't know what is doing in the series.

Today, they kept "We'll fight too!", an amazing remix from a M02 theme composed for M18. But they replace it back in the Hala battle! WTF

Same with the Z-Move theme, that was kept today, and it's always replaced when someone uses a Z-Move (like in Episode 19), the only exception being episode 1, where it was kept.

So yeah, I appreciate they're keeping good themes, but please, be coherent and ALWAYS keep them. It feels so random and incoherent this way.

I totally agree! It is very weird how inconsistent the dub is being, not just in the japanese music but also it's own compositions. They used a piece of music from when Stoutland was close to death today in what seemed like an attempt to fill the space. Both scenes the music was used in have completely different tones so I don't know what's up with that :/ But anyways I am glad that we got to hear that m02 track for the first time ever in the dub, and I only hope that more of the original music can find it's way in from now on :D

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
It's good to be back to being like the good old days where the dub was my first exposure to Pokemon episodes. No more JP version ****ing up everything (I mean, really, the Japanese title really dropped the ball by being something as generic as "Beware of Shovels!" Ugh...). Well, except for when some remnants of it remain, like that sucktastic M18JP remix of M02JP's "Escape!" track. I can't believe how much that track rules in M02 but sucks in M18. I've said before and will say again that I consider M18's soundtrack to be "The Best of Shinji Miyazaki: The Uninspired and Awful Edition", and that track is one of the reasons why. They should've gone with the M02 version, then I'd be happy with it. Well, happy as I can be when it comes to the best of JP tracks being wasted on situations that frankly don't warrant them. Seriously, why can't Mima save this stuff for, say, an Aether arc? Or better yet, keep them entirely to the movies they made their debuts in and keep them the **** out of the show!! That way, they won't wear their welcome out!

Anyway, dub music was just normal good.

Well, episode 21 was certainly a tough act to follow, considering its fame. So, why couldn't Ash have jumped out that window he was hanging onto unless Palossand could seriously scoop him back up so easily? Music misuse aside, that was a neat battle at the episode's climax. Plus, nice ending, too. Fortunately, it won't last.

It was an alright episode.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Couldn't Ash return Litten to his Poke Ball?

Couldn't someone just toss a Poke Ball at Palossand?

Oh well. Besides, the above, I thought this was a decent episode.

Mallow, stop bosing Sophocles around. He ain't wanna.

I don't think it was so necessary to have Pikachu and Poplio overreact at bubbling a Magikarp by accident...but then they bubbled so many for a while. Why did they have to cross between them? Geez.

I enjoyed Ash tossing the drained Litten out the window, only for it to come back and smack him inside while Lillie was explaining things. Silence can be golden for comedy, you know.

Then that headbutt.

Can someone pleeease make a GIF out of that headbutt on the window?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I liked seeing Ash being saved by Lillie and the others and that headbutt was hilarious.

Pretty interesting ending too.

Vipsoccermaster

Couldn't Ash return Litten to his Poke Ball?

Couldn't someone just toss a Poke Ball at Palossand?

Oh well. Besides, the above, I thought this was a decent episode.

I don't think it was so necessary to have Pikachu and Poplio overreact at bubbling a Magikarp by accident...but then they bubbled so many for a while. Why did they have to cross between them? Geez.

I enjoyed Ash tossing the drained Litten out the window, only for it to come back and smack him inside while Lillie was explaining things. Silence can be golden for comedy, you know.

Then that headbutt.
I agree that it is a decent episode. The Pikachu and Popplio (for the letter p, there's three of them in Popplio) were funny, yes, but Magikarp and Corsola stalling was weird. Pikachu and Popplio never looked to their right or left to make a successful balloon into the shovel. However, aside from the writers' intent to show comedy there, it was awesome to see Pikachu and Popplio communicate with each other and go together to search for the shovel.

The headbutt... lol. Ash should know it's too hard to break through ice with your own forehead.

Ash could have kept Litten in the Poké Ball, but I think he kept it out because he would be cold and needed Litten to get warmth.

For anyone that wanted to throw a Poké Ball to catch Sandygast/Palossand, I doubt anyone on the main cast would want a Pokémon that's only usually effective at a beach. Those two Pokémon were there to fill the Pokémon of the Day.

NPT

Just a member
-Oh hey, Ash and Kiawe are having a training battle!
-LOL, Fire Fang fail!
-A wild Sandygast appeared!
-There goes Sandygast's shovel...
-Ash, are you sure using Rotom as a replacement shovel is a good idea?
-Sandygast evolved into Palossand!
-Both Ash and Litten are trapped inside the huge sand castle Pokémon!
-Looks like Popplio and Pikachu found the shovel... duh, it's just a Shellder.
-Holy s**t, TPCi actually kept the epic movie 18 track in the dub!! Awesome!
-WTH Ash... did you seriously think you could break the ice with your headbutt?
-On the bright side, Litten sucessfully used Fire Fang to melt the ice bars.
-And just like that, the Palossand disappeared after it got its shovel back. Will they ever see it again on the beach?
-What the... ? Did Palossand just randomly appear to swallow Kukui's house?? Well, that sure was a strange way to end the episode. Rest in sand, Ash and Kukui.

Music kept in dub (4)
  • Fight! Wild Pokémon (Alola)
  • Title Card music
  • Movie 18 BGM - We'll Fight Too
  • The track that played when Palossand starts slowing down. It usually plays when someone uses a Z-move.
Hearing the epic movie 18 track in the dub was a pleasant surprise. Let's hope TPCi always keeps this particular track from now on. Same goes for the Z-move theme.

But anyways I am glad that we got to hear that m02 track for the first time ever in the dub, and I only hope that more of the original music can find it's way in from now on :D

Actually, Gulpin it Down was the first time the original movie 2 composition was heard in the dub.

Last edited: