• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bible contradictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
yeah, this is a continued topic from the abraham god thread. since the tangent won't stop anytime soon, we'll have to create a new topic for it.

anyway, pikablu, what the heck do you mean by 'he was less than god at the time'?

as far as i know, jesus said both lines while he was mortal, so that point's automatically dismissed.

2. Paul in Romans is writing to a group of Christians, unlike Jeremiah, and Exodus, written to the Jews, who were being warned to "stay in line."
this is just a silly way of justifying a contradiction.

1. God is good to all
2. God has mercy
3. In Jeremiah, God was speaking in judgment
4. When God says, "nor have mercy" He is referring to those that He will judge
5. All people have a chance to come to God, but those who do not in Jer. 13:14 will be judged harshly, for they had their chance
it doesn't even matter if god was speaking in judgment or not. if he wasn't going to show mercy during judgment, he would have specified that.

actually, if you're a merciful god at all, you actually DO show mercy to even bad people. i mean, who else would you show mercy to? the ones who obeyed?

yeah, this is a continued topic from the abraham god thread. since the tangent won't stop anytime soon, we'll have to create a new topic for it.
actually, if you're a merciful god at all, you actually DO show mercy to even bad people. i mean, who else would you show mercy to? the ones who obeyed? Everyone sinned. We Christians were also condemned to hell, but were saved through him, that is his mercy. But we will still be judged for our earthly conduct. The punishment of sin is death, but we are saved. If you ran into the street when you were little and your mom pulled you back to avoid being hit by a car she saved you from death, but she will still scold you for carelessness.
there's your answer, another mom analogy lol.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
the difference there is that my mom would never send me to eternal damnation (or timeout forever).

Poliwag2

ship it holla
I doubt many intelligent Christians choose to interpret the Bible literally. Therefore, this is a mistaken approach for opponents to Christianity. Think of it more as a guideline, rather than law.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
even as a guideline it has to make logical sense.

the difference there is that my mom would never send me to eternal damnation (or timeout forever).

Your mom could have not grabbed you, or you could have avoided her, just like God tries to save you but you may avoid him. and in example
death=hell
mom=God
Grabbing for child=trying to save you from hell

So if your mom succedes in saving you she still scolds you.
If God saves you he will judge you for sins.

It's exactly the same only less severe in case No. 1

Kiyohime

The Bible was written in a time so long ago that today's society seems alien in comparison. So in this time and day, some things from the bible are obsolete, I suppose.

But I can't argue with the doctrine to "love thy neighbor." Ironically, that seems to be the ONE thing that is almost universally ignored, nowadays.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
but mom didn't create the car like god did. he could have not created hell.

but this is irrelevant; we're talking about mercy.

pikablue

ooh, pretty colors!
bible contradictions? i got one:D
dont quote me on this, but i swear there was a line in the bible about worshipping something other than the christian god, with a quote that goes something like "i am a jealous god". Isn't jealousy (envy) a deadly sin? :S

dont quote me on this, but i swear there was a line in the bible about worshipping something other than the christian god, with a quote that goes something like "i am a jealous god". Isn't jealousy (envy) a deadly sin? :S

He wants you to worship him, not a toothbrush or money or a log that could've been fire wood.
He's not actually jealous, a lot of things in the bible were put into terminology for the people of that day to understand it. Like when it talks about hell and flames, people don't get what an absence from God (which is what hell is, and mind you the Devil isn't happy there, he's suffering too.) the flames are just an allusion to what it is like, (only hell is much worse) because people understood how it felt when you got a burn and how it would feel to be constantly burning.

Pokelover33

Awesome God

Envy is a deadly sin, but God is telling you not to worship anything but him, no idoles, no false gods, just the one true God.

K Brown

God is rather selfish, isn't he?
Well, annyone who fails to worship him in the way he wants will be tortured forever.

Mr Mudkip: I fail to see how that makes him less selfish. Making humans whose purpouse is to worship reduces humanity to nothing more that a canned applause. And God to a selfish and insecure deity who can go on without someone telling him how good he is.

ImJessieTR

I WON'T kiss Ash...
"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."

This is what is poorly understood (aka: grammar): God is not saying other gods are false or they don't exist, He's only saying that in prayer He wants to be first in line. True monotheism wasn't invented in Judaism until the Babylonian exile.

Strants

True monotheism wasn't invented in Judaism until the Babylonian exile.
If you talk to a Jew or Muslim, they may say that Christianity is a polytheism because of the trinity.
Not really. Otherwise he wouldn't have made us.
So, if I have a child, but demand that (s)he licks my boots clean every night, makes my dinner, etc., I am kind just becuase I created him/her? If I create sentinint life, does that mean they are lesser than me, and I can demand anything from them?

HyenaHaze

Serial Experiment
Oh wow Strants, that's an excelent point...

In the bible, there are several laws in the old testament that people nowdays tend to simply ignore. You're not supposed to eat things with cloven hooves (pigs, etc), wear clothing that consists of more than one material (cotton and wool, for example), not supposed to grow two different crops in the same field, and not supposed to go anywhere near a woman on her period.

Some of the laws in the bible were simply barbaric, and we can't call them metaphorical, because they were practiced. Examples: If a son is disrespectful, you can stone him to death.
If you raid a village you are allowed to take the women as wives. (Rape and slavery, anyone?)
Eye for an eye unless you're a slave, then it's basically death penalty for anything you do.

Hive Mind

Is not a GIRL
Hmmm, so we get in trouble for what our ancestors did? Seems pretty unfair. And if you say that everyone sins, it's because if raised by an average person, it's pretty much unavoidable. If there was a kid raised by someone like Mother Teresa, you probably wouldn't sin at all. Anyone else, and it's like what I said before. Then, you'd counter it by saying something utterly desperate like "Oh, when you are born you give pain to your mother, so you sin," Not your fault, anyway. People that believe in God are so eager to patch up holes in their religion by saying something completely contradictory then persistently saying it's true and/or by saying something that is conveniently unable to be proven. Being a part of a religion usually makes you completely intolerant of ones without. Don't try to force your ideas on us. It just makes you look much more despondent.

Hive Mind

Is not a GIRL
Hmmm, so we get in trouble for what our ancestors did? Seems pretty unfair. And if you say that everyone sins, it's because if raised by an average person, it's pretty much unavoidable. If there was a kid raised by someone like Mother Teresa, you probably wouldn't sin at all. Anyone else, and it's like what I said before. Then, you'd counter it by saying something utterly desperate like "Oh, when you are born you give pain to your mother, so you sin," Not your fault, anyway. People that believe in God are so eager to patch up holes in their religion by saying something completely contradictory then persistently saying it's true and/or by saying something that is conveniently unable to be proven. Being a part of a religion usually makes you completely intolerant of ones without. Don't try to force your ideas on us. It just makes you look much more despondent.

Ethan

Banned
K Brown, want to have another go? =)

Mr Mudkip: I fail to see how that makes him less selfish. Making humans whose purpouse is to worship reduces humanity to nothing more that a canned applause. And God to a selfish and insecure deity who can go on without someone telling him how good he is.

Now I wouldn't say that. You can argue that your meaning is reduced if your given any sort of fixed purpose. It is always typical of man to want to lead his own way and control his own destiny. Personally I think it would be quite flattering that I was created it glorify an all powerful God...but let's move beyond looking glasses.

So, if I have a child, but demand that (s)he licks my boots clean every night, makes my dinner, etc., I am kind just becuase I created him/her? If I create sentinint life, does that mean they are lesser than me, and I can demand anything from them?

Now I think you know this isn't the sturdiest of arguments. Please link the two properly.

Oh wow Strants, that's an excelent point...

Mhmm.

In the bible, there are several laws in the old testament that people nowdays tend to simply ignore. You're not supposed to eat things with cloven hooves (pigs, etc), wear clothing that consists of more than one material (cotton and wool, for example), not supposed to grow two different crops in the same field, and not supposed to go anywhere near a woman on her period.

Did you ever think that perhaps that's why it's called the old testament?

Some of the laws in the bible were simply barbaric, and we can't call them metaphorical, because they were practiced. Examples: If a son is disrespectful, you can stone him to death.
If you raid a village you are allowed to take the women as wives. (Rape and slavery, anyone?)
Eye for an eye unless you're a slave, then it's basically death penalty for anything you do.

In a biblical debate, unless you can arm yourself with scripture, your points is virtually null.

I doubt many intelligent Christians choose to interpret the Bible literally. Therefore, this is a mistaken approach for opponents to Christianity. Think of it more as a guideline, rather than law.

Well said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.