• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Biggest cheaters in the Pokémon games

OwensJB

Earthquake Lanturn and Leaf Storm Wormadam-G.

Wat.

Makes me wonder if the Gamefreak programmers actually check movesets that Pokemon can learn beforehand when they program NPC Pokemon movesets or if they just program them by memory alone? Or maybe they wanted to make that Lanturn into a badass.

Luthor

Makes me wonder if the Gamefreak programmers actually check movesets that Pokemon can learn beforehand when they program NPC Pokemon movesets or if they just program them by memory alone? Or maybe they wanted to make that Lanturn into a badass.

My guess (and it's purely that) is they switched Pokemon around and forgot to update part of the movepool. It could have originally been something like a Whiscash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
OwensJB said:

When it comes to the movesets that they give to minor characters' Pokemon, I can understand how they'd make a mistake. But I think the Wataru (Lance) situation in R/G/B is unforgivable since he was a major opponent and Game Freak should've double checked his roster.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Not to mention than in USUM, Ghetsis' Pokémon are ALL coming out of Master Balls. How could someone have not one, but SIX Master Balls!??
Well Rainbow Rocket is a criminal organization, from a universe where they won. Maybe they were able to mass produce so many Master Balls they can just switch most of their team into one for the sheer style

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think Winona's Altaria had an illegal move in one of the Hoenn games (might've been Emerald), though I don't remember the exact move. Does that make her a cheater?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There are a number of places where you can get underleveled Pokemon in the wild, or in a few cases, through trade. So we should probably consider the former before labelling someone as a cheater

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
It has Dragon Dance at a level it shouldn’t iirc so I suppose so.

I always thought Dragon Dance was introduced in Gen 5, because I never saw anyone use it in Gens 3 or 4, not even Winona. Drayden and Iris seemed to use it all the time.

There are a number of places where you can get underleveled Pokemon in the wild, or in a few cases, through trade. So we should probably consider the former before labelling someone as a cheater

In the original Red/Green, you could catch Kakuna and Metapod at level 5, when they don't usually evolve until level 7. One of the Pokémon you could get in a trade (for a Raichu) was an Electrode which could be as low as level 3, whereas Voltorb wouldn't usually evolve into Electrode until level 30.

(Taken from: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Level#Underleveled_Pok.C3.A9mon)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I always thought Dragon Dance was introduced in Gen 5, because I never saw anyone use it in Gens 3 or 4, not even Winona. Drayden and Iris seemed to use it all the time.

In the original Red/Green, you could catch Kakuna and Metapod at level 5, when they don't usually evolve until level 7. One of the Pokémon you could get in a trade (for a Raichu) was an Electrode which could be as low as level 3, whereas Voltorb wouldn't usually evolve into Electrode until level 30.

(Taken from: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Level#Underleveled_Pok.C3.A9mon)
In Yellow you can technically get a Level 5 Machamp if you hatch a Cubone in GSC and then transfer it to Yellow and do the Cubone for Machoke trade.

TwilightBlade

Where in RSE can someone get an underleveled Altaria that knows Dragon Dance at Lv. 33 then? Because unless there's some secret place that I don't know about, Winona's Altaria is looking really sketchy.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Rivals can be cheaters too. Blue (Gary) has an Alakazam on his team, and you'd usually have to trade with someone to get an Alakazam. So where'd he get that Alakazam from if he has no-one else to trade with, apart from you? o_O

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Falkner has a lv.9 Pidgeotto, 9 levels lower than it takes for a Pidgey to evolve. HGSS enhanced it to lv.14, but that's still too low to be legit....
But you could also find very low leveled Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest in HGSS where you could find one at level 7. So maybe he got his there.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
Rivals can be cheaters too. Blue (Gary) has an Alakazam on his team, and you'd usually have to trade with someone to get an Alakazam. So where'd he get that Alakazam from if he has no-one else to trade with, apart from you? o_O

Silver had a couple of Pokemon that evolve via trade too, and I personally just assumed that he traded with someone and then did a trade back, unless he stole those Pokemon like he did his Starter.

Luthor

There was a point where I felt like a bit of a cheater in a pokemon game. I'd just realised trading had been improved in Pokemon White (as I never managed to get it sorted in Diamond) and was about to fight Skyla's gym. Realising this I decided to do my first online trade and as there were Boldore nearby so I traded for another Boldore to get a Gigalith. It all worked fine. I was excited to use it in the Gym. What I didn't expect was quite how strong Gigalith was (because of previous trading issues I had never used Golem) . It took 4 moves to beat her and one of those was probably pointless. Gigalith was really useful but yeah i had completely overestimated the gym battle.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Silver had a couple of Pokemon that evolve via trade too, and I personally just assumed that he traded with someone and then did a trade back, unless he stole those Pokemon like he did his Starter.

Given Gary and Silver's jerkishness
(and Silver being the son of a boss of an evil organization)
, it was most likely the last one. Or maybe they forced a random kid to trade one of their Pokémon with them.

There was a point where I felt like a bit of a cheater in a pokemon game. I'd just realised trading had been improved in Pokemon White (as I never managed to get it sorted in Diamond) and was about to fight Skyla's gym. Realising this I decided to do my first online trade and as there were Boldore nearby so I traded for another Boldore to get a Gigalith. It all worked fine. I was excited to use it in the Gym. What I didn't expect was quite how strong Gigalith was (because of previous trading issues I had never used Golem) . It took 4 moves to beat her and one of those was probably pointless. Gigalith was really useful but yeah i had completely overestimated the gym battle.

Was it disobedient? Traded Pokémon often won't listen to you if they're too high-levelled, unless you have a certain Badge.