• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Biggest cheaters in the Pokémon games

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
No but it wasn't really over levelled. It knew stealth rock so I think it was lvl 36(or something around that ). By that point in the game Pokemon up to Up to lvl 60 obey you.

Although why would you have a level 60 Pokémon at that point? It would seem a bit overkill. :p

Orphalesion

For me the biggest cheater though I would say is Opal. Wasn't that hard of a battle but the quiz questions she asks are deliberately the opposite of what would be a logical answer. That feels a bit of a cheat.

That behaviour perfectly fits the Fairy Type though, what with a lot of folkloric fairies being tricksters and/or being highly capricious and living by laws and rules that seem random and nonsensical to humans.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
That behaviour perfectly fits the Fairy Type though, what with a lot of folkloric fairies being tricksters and/or being highly capricious and living by laws and rules that seem random and nonsensical to humans.

In traditional stories, fairies are actually seen as villainous and malevolent, which is the total opposite to what they're usually seen as in more modern tales, like the fairy godmother in Cinderella. Cottonee and Whimsicott are Fairy types, and one of their abilities is called Prankster, which fits this perfectly.

Orphalesion

In traditional stories, fairies are actually seen as villainous and malevolent, which is the total opposite to what they're usually seen as in more modern tales, like the fairy godmother in Cinderella. Cottonee and Whimsicott are Fairy types, and one of their abilities is called Prankster, which fits this perfectly.

Aaaaaand no. Not always. In "traditional" stories fairies can either be malevolent or benevolent or anything in between, as well as allies or antagonist or anything in between. Tales of fairy godmothers and fairies that help or just around and protect nature are just as old as tales of fairies who hex or trick you.

Remember that "Fairy" describes a huge number of different creatures, from different cultures who all had their own ideas. And modern people often like to over-emphasize the "evillnes" of folkloric fairies because it's edgier, but folkloric or mythological fairies could be good, evil or neutral.
In many stories fairies also are helpful to people who show them respect while harming those that disrespect them and even the same fairy character can show up as helpful, harmless trickster AND someone to be afraid of depending on the tale.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Joey and his Rattata .

How he know it was a top %er , I call shenanigans

Or maybe he's just like the typical kid in the school playground who just likes to brag about stuff. The same kid who also claims he found Mew under the SS Anne truck, or caught one of the so-called "PokéGods".

Luthor

Aaaaaand no. Not always. In "traditional" stories fairies can either be malevolent or benevolent or anything in between, as well as allies or antagonist or anything in between. Tales of fairy godmothers and fairies that help or just around and protect nature are just as old as tales of fairies who hex or trick you.

Remember that "Fairy" describes a huge number of different creatures, from different cultures who all had their own ideas. And modern people often like to over-emphasize the "evillnes" of folkloric fairies because it's edgier, but folkloric or mythological fairies could be good, evil or neutral.
In many stories fairies also are helpful to people who show them respect while harming those that disrespect them and even the same fairy character can show up as helpful, harmless trickster AND someone to be afraid of depending on the tale.

I'm not saying there isn't reasoning behind it. But it is what i consider to be the most cheating official gym as those are designed to be trick questions.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Falkner with a Lv. 9 Pidgeotto.

Literal cheating. lol

In HG/SS it was bumped up to level 14, but that's still a little too low (Pidgey usually evolves into Pidgeotto at level 18). Although if I remember correctly, there are some places where you can catch underlevelled Pidgeotto, so it's likely Falkner went to one of those places and caught his Pidgeotto there.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
In HG/SS it was bumped up to level 14, but that's still a little too low (Pidgey usually evolves into Pidgeotto at level 18). Although if I remember correctly, there are some places where you can catch underlevelled Pidgeotto, so it's likely Falkner went to one of those places and caught his Pidgeotto there.
Doesn't the lore mention that it's his (Falkner) dad's Pokemon?

But yes, there are low level Pidgeotto that you can catch.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Whitney all because of Miltank! The programmers gave her too many advantages and it made me hate Goldenrod City's gym :(

I think they deliberately made Whitney annoying because they didn't want Normal-type Gym Leaders to seem "weak". Same with Norman and Lenora.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think they deliberately made Whitney annoying because they didn't want Normal-type Gym Leaders to seem "weak". Same with Norman and Lenora.
Norman I get why he was stronger given his placement in the Gym Challenge of Hoenn and I didn’t think Lenora was that bad when using Timburr and Pignite given their type advantage over Lenora’s team. Usually I was able to take out Watchog in two Super Effective hits. Whitney is different though because Clefairy was mostly a game of chance with Metronome since anything could happen including it getting Explosion which is bad for you since you are going to lose your current Pokémon but good at the same time because Clefairy faints itself but bad again because Whitney’s Miltank can sweep your entire team using Attract and Rollout. At least in Gen II you sort of had a chance at defeating her using a female Gastly that knew Hypnosis, Confuse Ray, and Curse to take care of Miltank without worrying about taking too much damage from Stomp and Rollout given its chance of missing after the first turn.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Lance's Dragonite from Red and Blue knowing an illegal attack was one of those things that bugged me. Also his Aerodactyl in one of the later games knows an illegal move too so it's a pattern with Lance.
I remember his Dragonite and the fact that so many people tried to catch it. XD That became so well known that Game Freak gave away that exact Dragonite as a competition prize in AS/OR.

Lance played dirty, that's for sure.

Best way to take him down was either to outspeed him and/or use better attacks.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Where in RSE can someone get an underleveled Altaria that knows Dragon Dance at Lv. 33 then? Because unless there's some secret place that I don't know about, Winona's Altaria is looking really sketchy.
I actually think that's a very plausible possibility when considering how little access one actually has to the region they're in while playing - even when given every obstacle-clearing TM in the book, there are still some unsurmountable obstacles that keep you on certain designated routes and areas - but are these obstacles that are unsurmountable to your character, who is in the canon lore a child, truly impossible to get past by everyone in the region? Seems unlikely to me.

And consider the Move Tutor. There are several moves which you can't get on your pokémon without outside help from that person. So it seems quite plausible that there are techniques of move teaching which aren't directly available to the character you play as, and perhaps not all of them are ones people are willing to share with you. Maybe somewhere out there there's a move tutor who can teach dragonite barrier, but they live in one of those locked buildings, and won't open their doors for nosy kids, only sharing their techniques with the stock of trainer who has clout, such as an Elite. Or maybe these Elite trainers made it to their position by figuring out training methods which a novice like yourself hasn't, and used their discoveries to their advantage.

So I think calling NPC trainers who do things you can't "cheaters" isn't exactly fair - it runs off the fallacy that the limitations of what a 10-year-old kid can do should apply to everyone, which definitely doesn't apply to real life, so probably doesn't make sense to apply in the game's universe either. Sure they could be said to hold an unfair advantage over you by being able to do things you can't, but then again, it could be said the inverse is true - in several games, your character has the extraordinary luck to have fate grant them with the chance of capturing an elusive and highly powerful legendary pokémon. Sure your peers you face in competitive battles all have had that same chance, considering all of you are iterations of the same highly fortunate 'chosen one' of a main character, but your NPC peers? Not so much. With a few exceptions, you are the only person anyone around you in-game ever seen who managed to get their hot little hands on an uber pokémon, so to them, you very well could be the "cheater" who has an unfair advantage.

tl;dr: calling trainers like Lance "cheaters" is conflating the storyline metagame with the post-storyline PVP metagame, which I don't think necessarily makes sense.