• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Biggest cheaters in the Pokémon games

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
I'm surprised no one mentioned Cooltrainer Nick at bug catching contest.
What does he do? Wins with a Caterpie? (Somebody once won with a Caterpie in my Gen II games, but I can't remember if it was the GSC or HGSS games...)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not to mention than in USUM, Ghetsis' Pokémon are ALL coming out of Master Balls. How could someone have not one, but SIX Master Balls!??
You can too of you're lucky with Loto ID, which I'm convinced is a scam despite being free to enter.

----

And as for Bug Catching contests, yeah, that's just luck, not cheating. You losing basically means the Pokemon's stats aren't good.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
You can too of you're lucky with Loto ID, which I'm convinced is a scam despite being free to enter.

----

And as for Bug Catching contests, yeah, that's just luck, not cheating. You losing basically means the Pokemon's stats aren't good.
So that explain that Caterpie from a few years ago... Thanks for the explanation! :)

Sicksadpanda

Discord Staff
It's mostly a joke, but Cooltrainer Nick wins almost too easily, even if you have caught the best pokemon in GSC. I believe he was toned down in HGSS though.

There were plenty of bug catching guides telling you to check for Cooltrainer Nick before starting the catch, and if he's there, restart since he almost always win.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I actually think that's a very plausible possibility when considering how little access one actually has to the region they're in while playing - even when given every obstacle-clearing TM in the book, there are still some unsurmountable obstacles that keep you on certain designated routes and areas - but are these obstacles that are unsurmountable to your character, who is in the canon lore a child, truly impossible to get past by everyone in the region? Seems unlikely to me.

And consider the Move Tutor. There are several moves which you can't get on your pokémon without outside help from that person. So it seems quite plausible that there are techniques of move teaching which aren't directly available to the character you play as, and perhaps not all of them are ones people are willing to share with you. Maybe somewhere out there there's a move tutor who can teach dragonite barrier, but they live in one of those locked buildings, and won't open their doors for nosy kids, only sharing their techniques with the stock of trainer who has clout, such as an Elite. Or maybe these Elite trainers made it to their position by figuring out training methods which a novice like yourself hasn't, and used their discoveries to their advantage.

So I think calling NPC trainers who do things you can't "cheaters" isn't exactly fair - it runs off the fallacy that the limitations of what a 10-year-old kid can do should apply to everyone, which definitely doesn't apply to real life, so probably doesn't make sense to apply in the game's universe either. Sure they could be said to hold an unfair advantage over you by being able to do things you can't, but then again, it could be said the inverse is true - in several games, your character has the extraordinary luck to have fate grant them with the chance of capturing an elusive and highly powerful legendary pokémon. Sure your peers you face in competitive battles all have had that same chance, considering all of you are iterations of the same highly fortunate 'chosen one' of a main character, but your NPC peers? Not so much. With a few exceptions, you are the only person anyone around you in-game ever seen who managed to get their hot little hands on an uber pokémon, so to them, you very well could be the "cheater" who has an unfair advantage.

tl;dr: calling trainers like Lance "cheaters" is conflating the storyline metagame with the post-storyline PVP metagame, which I don't think necessarily makes sense.
While I think this is reaching a lot and takes the obvious meaning of the thread too literally, it is an interesting perspective.

Sakuyamon

It's mostly a joke, but Cooltrainer Nick wins almost too easily, even if you have caught the best pokemon in GSC. I believe he was toned down in HGSS though.

There were plenty of bug catching guides telling you to check for Cooltrainer Nick before starting the catch, and if he's there, restart since he almost always win.

In a way they were kind of right but Nick being involved only makes the contests harder but not impossible to win. I never bothered to restart the contests just because he was there because that seems like such a pain. :(

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sicksadpanda said:

I wasn't aware of this before, but I double checked and yes it seems highly unfair that this particular NPC has a high chance of winning the Bug-Catching Contests by default. It seems ridiculous for Game Freak to have designed G/S/C's Bug-Catching Contests this way.