• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Biggest ripoffs you've seen at a store

Gamer Fluttershy

This includes ANY kind of store except Gamestop/EB Games, OBVIOUSLY Gamestop rips you off and we don't want this full of NOTHING but Gamestop Haters, I mean I'D love it, but I know you guys wouldn't. The biggest rip off for in a store BESIDES ****ING GAMESTOP was $10 for this bag of chicken at the local Chinese Market. The Chicken tasted AWFUL, it was EXTREMELY greasy, stringy and there were only 5 small pieces...I love Chicken WHY DID GOD DO THIS TO ME *goes to cry in a corner*

everything that is sold at the store i work at is horribly overpriced. i mean $40 for a t-shirt come on now. on an unrelated note the job is also boring and undemanding which is why i can post this rn g_g

Some that i can think of off the top of my head:
Gamespot - screw that place, go local or go Ebay.
College textbooks - During my 3 years of college (graduated early) i paid roughly 700 dollars on average per semester for textbooks (~900 at the most one semester) and when i sold the books back i made at most 230 dollars during the 900 dollar semester and at the least 43 dollars. Stopped buying the books after my 2nd year, because, well, screw it.
Shell Gas Stations
Anything you get at a movie theater.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
- Convenience size drinks at a store when you can get a 2 liter for close to half the price.
- Buffets in general. Most of the time you spend a lot more than what it costs a restaurant for the food.
- Anything at a sports stadium
- Anything at an amusement park / fair.
- Tabs to drive legally. Seriously, it costs around $45 for my vehicle, but my step dad's it costed over $400 just for new tabs.

ebevan91

I work at Walmart and customers ***** at me everyday because the price on the shelf for some of the meat says (example) $4.18 per pound, so they're picking up a 3lb package of meat, thinking they're getting it for $4.18, when really they're paying like $12-13 for it.

- Convenience size drinks at a store when you can get a 2 liter for close to half the price.
- Buffets in general. Most of the time you spend a lot more than what it costs a restaurant for the food.
- Anything at a sports stadium
- Anything at an amusement park / fair.
- Tabs to drive legally. Seriously, it costs around $45 for my vehicle, but my step dad's it costed over $400 just for new tabs.

I agree with every one of them.

ebevan91

I agree with every one of them.

Yeah. Food/drinks at sports stadiums are RIDICULOUS.

$5 for a bottle of Coke, really? I can buy a bottle the same size for $1 anywhere else, from a vending machine.

thunder2910

Loves pizza
Good lord the shop 'Myer' here sell everything waay too overpriced. I compared the prices of a plushie form another store and Myer sells it for double the price also the clothes are ridiculously expensive and they have the exact same quailty of clothes you can buy from other shops.

*Edit* now that I think about it even their sales are almost always ridiculous too

worldwaker

Elebug disaproves
biggest ripoff? mtg booster packs,MSRP is 3.99,and there is one card(with a 5% chance of another) that has a potenial value of 5$<,thing is,only a a small number of that small number that is aculally worth that,and then an even smaller number of anything that other people want.and for theater food being over-priced,the theater itself doesnt make money off the tickets,so they have to make up for it in what they do acually make money off of

GhostlyMaiden

Old User: OtakuGamer
Wow, thats a trick question. How about jeans that are $12-$20 dollars and when you buy them (after trying them on), you go to put them on again and they rip!

Mye

Someone has to win..
In a walmart, I once saw all three of the matrix movies (seperately) for $20 each and a dvd with all three of them on it (together) for $5. Another thing that's sorta a rip off is the Easter/Xmas/Halloween candy before the holidays. The fact you can wait a mere 6 hours after the holiday and get that crap for half price seems like a massive rip off.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir

I think this is mainly due to the buffet places having a lot of customers with insanely huge appetites actually getting their money's worth in food, and/or people who take a lot but waste a lot. Which is why I generally avoid buffets unless they're known to have really good food.

Yeah. Food/drinks at sports stadiums are RIDICULOUS.

$5 for a bottle of Coke, really? I can buy a bottle the same size for $1 anywhere else, from a vending machine.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the beer. It has the same pricing problem as the soda, with the added problem of it generally tasting worse as well. (I'm not a beer drinker; this is just what I've heard from friends and family.)

Another thing that's sorta a rip off is the Easter/Xmas/Halloween candy before the holidays. The fact you can wait a mere 6 hours after the holiday and get that crap for half price seems like a massive rip off.

This one is justified, actually: if you wait even as little as 6 hours after the holiday, you missed the candy's intended use. (Who goes trick-or-treating the day after Halloween?) The rest is basic economics; after the holiday, demand for the candy goes way down, and thus the prices go down.

As for my own examples, the biggest ripoffs I've seen were at high-end clothing stores, where a simple-looking shirt can cost as much as two pairs of tennis shoes, and a cotton blazer costs as much as a small TV. Cosmetics stores at malls also tend to be prone to this sometimes: I went to one recently where most of the lipsticks were $20 and up. Seriously? They cost only around $8 at the average drugstore, with not much of a drop in quality.

Also, ordering soda at any full-service restaurant is almost ALWAYS a ripoff, costing at least twice as much as what you can get yourself at any supermarket. The strange part is that it's ALWAYS soda, hardly ever any other beverage (though wine is also a victim sometimes), that runs into this problem. It is for this reason that I hardly ever order soda at a restaurant... unless it's something non-standard like an Italian soda.

Ketaru

Any business that sells bottled water is guilty of ripping you off.

Also, Barnes & Noble if you don't buy their items on sale.

Teebu

Theater food is so overpriced! I mean the prices are insane! Then every recently released game used at Gamestop! It's only 5-10$ off!

so i guess thats a multi-national problem then, easily spend £20 going there without even trying.

Probably my fave one from recent memory is the wolfenstein collectors edition which retails at $100 and doesn't even include a copy of the game xD

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
I recently came across a review someone wrote about an alterations place. She had called the place for an estimate on getting two skirts altered, and they said it would be $25 for both of them. She went to the store, got the skirts altered, and they charged her $50. She called this a ripoff, accused the owners of lying to her, and gave the place a bad rating. But the thing is, 25 + 25 = 50, so the person on the phone meant "each one will cost $25". The customer should've clarified this with the owners before giving this place a bad review...

Although, to be fair, $25 to alter a skirt sounds a little steep... though I guess it depends on the material and stitching and what kind of alteration needed to be done.