• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Biggest ripoffs you've seen at a store

Gillig

Toys R us is one big rip off. They always charge more for everything. I think they do this to parents and relatives that don't know the MSRP of toys.

QCControl

I saw a frozen pizza at my local store priced at 1000$. Yeah, when I asked them they told me it was huge mistake on the part of the staff, but I thought it was funny. That must be one amazing pizza.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Don't compare what you buy online to the in-store price...it shouldn't count but still...

Yea, this happens a lot. A 500ml bottle of Coke, £1.29. Four times as much, 2 litres, £1.99. I know it happens absolutely everywhere, but where is the logic in this?

Carcara

Anything and everything about video games in Brazil. Especially right after they PS4 was annouced, 400 dollars in the US, almost 2000 here? Seems legit. And there's the games. Not just the PS4 and Xbox One games, almost every game is expensive here, and it is usually worse with new games. On the bright side, even the stores realised the failure Aliens: Colonial Marines is. It's price is almost 10 times lower than the one at the release. Still, I would not buy it.

NovaNight

Eternally Eternity
A lot of "designer" or brand name clothing is crazy expensive and... not even that nice or durable considering the cost.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I saw Mario Kart 8 for over $60.00 CDN(I'm Canadian)at this drug/whatever store yesterday.I know they're small,but seriously,Walmart only has it for around $40.00 CDN.

That's insane. Tbh though, I'm not a fan of games around that price $59 + tax is just too much, I'll just wait for sales, game companies.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
There's this one store I really like to go to because it has a lot of unique styles of clothing. Unfortunately, a lot of the clothing is way overpriced. Sure, one can argue it's because it's handmade, but that still doesn't seem to justify some of the prices. For example, I've seen several pairs of cotton pants with some sort of frilled trim at the bottom, and they cost upwards of 80 USD each. Same with the jackets, which can cost as much as $200. Plain-looking tank tops cost about $20. Oddly enough, the skirts, no matter how complicated the pattern or needlework required, are priced much more reasonably (in the range of $25-60); socks and accessories are reasonably priced too, and the place also sells really cheap (yet good quality) incense. Either the owners were high when deciding on the prices of things, or they paid too much for the clothing they bought from certain manufacturers.

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Don't compare what you buy online to the in-store price...it shouldn't count but still...
This...

A Pokémon TCG Booster Box? $105 online, however, a store here in my city of Geelong sells them for $160...

Sprinter1988

I was in WHSmiths once, standing in a long queue of people. On the counter there was a display of Terry's Chocolate Oranges, priced at 99p each or 2 for £2.99. A little old lady three places in front of me pointed it out to the assistant who took them away.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I used to be okay with them, but I'm pretty sure my 160gb model is permanently bricked and it is likely well outside warranty. I also think that they don't make anything with that kind of capacity anymore, which is, frankly, ********.

How did it get bricked?

Toys R us is one big rip off. They always charge more for everything. I think they do this to parents and relatives that don't know the MSRP of toys.

A lot of stores are like that imo. They don't pay attention to MSRP of much. Same goes with some of the manufacturer's sites, if the price has gone down, then adjust it!

As for Toys R Us, I don't think that they're that much of one. Got a 3ds for around $180 with a game. It's still for sale for around $199 else where (generally the XL, but still, that price is a little high now). And thankfully they let me exchange the first one I bought, since it had a firmware issue. Only thing I had to rebuy was the eshop card, which wasn't a big deal.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
BOTTLED WATER!

Seriously, whoever thought that up is evil.

I remember a time when, if you wanted water, you got it from the tap, and no-one complained.

Then all of a sudden, someone thought he'd sell water in a bottle and make it more expensive than beer.

And everyone in the country fell for it, it seems. Made everyone think tap water is unclean for some reason.

Water is water, people.

Pink!

Pink Puff Ball
One of my local grocery stores overprices pretty much everything. A bag of chips there could cost $5 when at another grocery store it'd be like $2. Apples can be $2 or $3 a pound when at another grocery store they'd be .59-.89 cents a pound. It's ridiculous.
Also, anything at a college pretty much.
And restaurant's drinks that aren't water. Sometimes, things like juice or chocolate milk cost more than soda! Talk about insane.

Water. Many places I have seen water products from different countries way overpriced, as much as 12 dollars for one of those small bottles. I mean water is the same everywhere it's not like water here is special and it should be expensive somewhere else.

MrConfusedTurkey

I work at PetSmart (US), and what is a huge rip-off, is the fact that some of our fish tank decor is $30-$40, but we (the store) buy that same ornament for maybe $8-$10. Our mark-up is massive, and ridiculous. But hey, that's retail for you.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
The lottery.

It is said to be "The Idiot Tax" for a good reason.

Plus, it fuels gambling addiction.

Maedar

Banned
The lottery.

It is said to be "The Idiot Tax" for a good reason.

Plus, it fuels gambling addiction.

Want to know something very ironic? One state that has no state lottery is... Nevada.

That's right, you can gamble there in most every way except a state lottery.

Missingno.Fan

The other day at the student store at my school I saw some fluffy socks with the school logo on it that costed $15. Later on I was at Rite Aid and got a two pack of fluffy socks for $6. Granted the ones at school were the knee high ones, but still...