• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Biggest ripoffs you've seen at a store

PokePlush Collector

PKMN Plush Tamer
everything that is sold at the store i work at is horribly overpriced. i mean $40 for a t-shirt come on now. on an unrelated note the job is also boring and undemanding which is why i can post this rn g_g

I rather pay that much money for a limited time T-Shirt. But paying $40 for a T-Shirt is a bit like buying food at a restaurant in Florida.

rocky505

-Video Game accessories. A controller should not cost just as much as a new game!
-Event foods or drinks(Movies, Concerts, etc)
-Textbooks. My friend was forced to buy a textbook by his teacher that was $95 USD, and they never used the textbook in class.
- Those small animal figures used mainly for displays. There was a 6in tall T-Rex at my Wal-Mart for $28 USD!

Maedar

Banned
You know, I was looking through the attic through my old toys, now that my niece is six years old, and I found some stuff that, in retrospect, I can't believe I spent money on.

There was a Rubix Cube (unsolved, naturally).

A bunch of Garbage Pail Kids stickers. (Yeah, they were stickers, not cards, and I have no idea why they were so appealing way back when.

Anyone remember the show Dinosaurs? I found this Baby Sinclair doll, and boy is it ugly!

A Chinese checkers set, something I never even learned to play. (I once read somewhere that the game isn't Chinese and has nothing even remotely common with checkers.)

And a bunch of old action figures which I actually liked, but now most are broken. Still, that other stuff was pretty much a rip-off. Thank goodness I was never suckered into buying Pogs.

Ithanul

Hmmmm, computer parts at Best Buy in general. Tags/Registration in California (So glad to be back in the South now, way cheaper), plus movie tickets in California.
Console video games, same game be 40 dollars or less on PC instead of the 60 dollars on console. Apple computers...sorry, but no way I paying that much for a computer with medicore parts.
Importing a CD from Europe especially from Germany, Euro to Dollar conversion hurts MAJOR. *But, so addicted to their music...*

Melloyu

Charging €100 for a game because it is an import from England. While the normal one released in The Netherlands costs €45 :)

Pink Harzard

So majestic
Buying textbooks for study. It's mandatory to get them and eventually we don't use more 50% of them. Also the fact that we use the same books for already three years. I had paid them for 900 euro's in the first year. And what happens to the half-used books after finishing school? They end up in the trashbin. Just a waste of money and trees if you ask me.

The food prices in the cinema's are another thing which are way to expensive.

DarthVader

Biggest Ripoffs

University textbooks
Suits from a formal suit shop.
Houses/rent (I live in Australia)
Food or drinks from "bars" in supermarkets e.g. Boost Juice
Coffee shops

Only little... but not too long ago I was in London and I managed to get blisters on my feet coz my shoes were rubbing- so I went to the nearest store to get some plasters.
I paid £2 for a big box which I didnt think was too bad... but when I opened it, there was only 2 plasters in there... I paid £2 for 2 plasters...

fitzy909

Just another guy
Textbooks. I usually get them a bit cheaper through school, but if you look in book stores they are ridiculously priced.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The iPod classics are fairly priced though. They last a good few years if you take decent care of them. I dropped mine into the toilet and I still got more than a year out of it after that

Definitely. One of the few products by them imo that are. I probably won't even bother with an ipod touch. They charge twice as much and you end up with features that you might not even use. I STILL don't get why they discontinued the Classic model ipod. People still like them and use them.

Melloyu

A new one from a dutch online store: €70 for the Animal Crossing Amiibo :)
Because 90% of the stores don't have it in stock anymore :)
So one bright mind thought it would be okay to overprice it... And no-one is buying it, how odd.

I shopped at one store and noticed it was selling rocks for like $5. Nothing was special about them, they were just regular old rocks that somebody had written inspirational words on with a marker. lmao.

Togia

The Gawd
At the convenience stores in Japan you can get a 1 liter bottle of water for 100 yen but the same brand will sell a MUCH smaller more portable version of that water for around 130 yen.

Blazeing Man

proffesional artist
I Was at a 711 and wanted to get a Mtn Dew in the little bottle. but my mom told me you could get 24 cans for only a little bit more. That is a rip off

Chili

*buys game for 30 dollars at a store*

*takes it to game stop to see if i can get some money for it*

2 FREAKING CENTS! I WALKED RIGHT OUT

Raptor737

Mage of Void
There was a "Speedway Christmas" at Lowes Motor Speedway.

The price for 1 can of Coke? $3

(Not a store per se, if you exclude vendors, but still a ripoff)

Wartortled

Textbooks are a nightmare :p I needed a new edition of an uncommon book (one of my forensic psych books, can't remember which) and couldn't find any used, so it cost me a few hundred bucks.

I miss the days when the Christmas money from grandma could go towards new video games ;_;