• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Billionaire To Create His Own Libertarian Country

Should people be allowed to start their own countries?

• yes

Votes: 60 64.5%
  • no

Votes: 33 35.5%

• Total voters

havoc37

Banned
http://www.details.com/culture-tren...-billionaire-paypal-facebook-internet-success

One of Facebook's creators is creating his own country in the middle of the ocean, a country that will be a pure libertarian society, pretty darn amazing if you ask me. What do you think of his project, do you support his FREEDOM and his right to create his own country in the middle of the ocean? Or do you think he shouldn't have the freedom to do this? Should the United States recognize his country, and if you think America shouldn't recognize his country, why shouldn't it?

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
People have the freedom to start their own countries, sure. But that doesn't mean that their countries will succeed. I think America doesn't even have to worry about recognizing his country since a purely libertarian society ain't gonna last long - people aren't going to take long to realize that it's not the big bad government holding them back, and that the government actually gives them lots of nice things they take for granted.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
http://www.details.com/culture-tren...-billionaire-paypal-facebook-internet-success

One of Facebook's creators is creating his own country in the middle of the ocean, a country that will be a pure libertarian society, pretty darn amazing if you ask me. What do you think of his project, do you support his FREEDOM and his right to create his own country in the middle of the ocean? Or do you think he shouldn't have the freedom to do this? Should the United States recognize his country, and if you think America shouldn't recognize his country, why shouldn't it?

By 2012, there will be an "Ex-Billionaire Abandons His Libertarian Country" thread. One man a government does not make. An island country? Cool, but not much room for expansion. He would have very limited resources and would have to become involved in trading with foreign countries, joining the UN, fighting possible invasion forces, dealing with the day-to-day problems of running a country, etc., etc....

Abstinence Pistols

Definitely not. The points Juputoru and Manafi's Dream are extremely valid here, plus the fact that in the modern world, most people will look at that and say, "hellz, I want one!" which will likely result in one of two things:
1. They'll be denied or unsuccessful, which will give the impression that he got away with it because he's rich. That'll go over well.
2. People will create mile-long countries without bothering to think about inhabitants, resources, a stable economy/government, etc. That, or they'll try to pass it off as a "liberterian government" so they don't have to do as much work.

Vernikova

Champion
I agree that he should be able to try to create his own country. If it doesn't work out, he just make it his own private island or something like that.

most people will look at that and say, "hellz, I want one!" which will likely result in one of two things:
1. They'll be denied or unsuccessful, which will give the impression that he got away with it because he's rich. That'll go over well.

How is that a problem? I think that anyone can see that he's able to do this in the first place is because he's rich. I doubt anyone is going to say "Hey! He can't make a country because I can't make one!"

2. People will create mile-long countries without bothering to think about inhabitants, resources, a stable economy/government, etc. That, or they'll try to pass it off as a "libertarian government" so they don't have to do as much work.

Without things like internationally recognized borders or even recognition from other countries, I don't think any country would consider the "mile-long" countries as actual countries but merely as plots of land someone owns.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I agree that he should be able to try to create his own country. If it doesn't work out, he just make it his own private island or something like that.

Which he should do in the first place. The man isn't capable of handling a country, much less a social network...

GrassTypes.

Which he should do in the first place. The man isn't capable of handling a country, much less a social network...

There's not 750 Million People on a Country .

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
There's not 750 Million People on a Country .

Proper preposition = "in"

Also, it's: There are not 750 million people in a country.

Whether it's 750 million vs. a couple thousand, he has no experience leading a group of people. He has never been a politician, so how exactly does he plan on running a government? Rich people and their eccentricities amaze me sometimes...

Last edited:

KuroiMawile

For stated reasons, I believe if you have the balls money and it's harmless, what's there to stop you?

Really, what can the opposition say if someone wants to build their own country and have the money to attempt it?
Nothing.

Sounds like this guy is trying to defy ol' Ben Franklin.

"'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." - Benjamin Franklin, 1789 in a letter to Jean-Baptiste Leroy

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
Really, if he's got the guts and the money to do it, I say go for it. It's his money he'll be losing.

A lot of people are forgetting that some famous politicians (Lincoln, especially- I think. I don't think he was in charge of *a ton* of people before being elected) didn't have any prior background in politics. Heck, the first guy in charge oftentimes doesn't know what he's getting in to (Washington, I would imagine. Army, sure. Country? Not so much.)

Vernikova

Champion
^ For the record, America and Brazil don't have over 750 million people living in them.

@Wild Dragonite: Lincoln and Washington were leaders of a country where they didn't have complete control on how everything was run and where they wouldn't be the head forever. Also, I believe that being the head of an army and being a representitive in the House of a state would qualify someone more than owning some part of a social media site.

Last edited:

havoc37

Banned
By 2012, there will be an "Ex-Billionaire Abandons His Libertarian Country" thread. One man a government does not make. An island country? Cool, but not much room for expansion. He would have very limited resources and would have to become involved in trading with foreign countries, joining the UN, fighting possible invasion forces, dealing with the day-to-day problems of running a country, etc., etc....

If I'm not mistaken he is planning to build platforms on the ocean, and if he wants to expand it all he has to do is build more attaching platforms. Sounds like something out of a science fiction movie...

What will his principle export be? Fish? We have those already, its called BOATS.

His nation is no more a nation than a cruise liner. But hes probably just doing this for attention anyway. If I was a multi billionaire I would get bored too.

Profesco

gone gently
"governed by his Ayn Rand—inspired ideology"

Well there's your obituary right there. ;)

It's like he's really planning on inviting a bunch of rich people into a hidden mountain society, except not quite hidden and not quite mountainous. If this works like John Galt's plan in Atlas Shrugged apparently did, with the implication that the rest of the world (or at least America) would crumble and implode, we may be in for a rough ride. =P

I also raised an eyebrow at a few of the libertarian ideals the article gave as examples of policy: no welfare, no minimum wage, and more freedom with weaponry. If his country doesn't end up filled with already self-sustainable rich citizens, those three combined seem like they spell bloody disaster already.

Ah, beats me. I'd be mostly interested in seeing the legal and social processes required to get his floating moneyland recognized as an actual country.

burnley95

Trade Negotiator
This reminds me of Petoria. Except not as funny and no MC Hammer joke. I don't think rich people should be able to do that.

People have the freedom to start their own countries, sure. But that doesn't mean that their countries will succeed. I think America doesn't even have to worry about recognizing his country since a purely libertarian society ain't gonna last long - people aren't going to take long to realize that it's not the big bad government holding them back, and that the government actually gives them lots of nice things they take for granted.

No, they are going to figure out that the big bad government does in fact hold them back. If you don't like big governments (which I most certainly do not) and you have the money to start your own country, then more power to you.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Whether it's 750 million vs. a couple thousand, he has no experience leading a group of people. He has never been a politician, so how exactly does he plan on running a government? Rich people and their eccentricities amaze me sometimes...
Yes, how dare people try and think of a new society; how dare people question the status quo; How dare he have vision.

Also, you're not familiar with the libertarian ideology if you think he wants to run a government. The whole premise of classical liberalism (libertarianism) is that authority is inherently corruptible and any establishment of authority (like governments) must be removed.

I wish these people luck, even though they have countless issues, such as establishing a supply chain to feed thousands of people to urban planning. I'm doubtful wether this will work or not, for a variety of reasons. But, if this works, we may have hit upon something grand, if not, at least we tried and that we now know that this is another ideology that sounds good, but can't work; much like communism.

Also, I'm sceptical whether the failure or success of this project will be truly indicative of whether or not this society could work; only libertarians will be interested in these cities, so what may or may not work for a few thousand middle class/ wealthy libertarians wont apply to other people.

As for all the people asking what their resources would be in the city-states of Libertania, you must realise ALL countries engage in trade and very few, if any, countries are truly self-sufficient. Their economy would doubtless be based on finances, services, some advanced manufacturing and product consumption; which sounds like the American economy.

JPP1

Screw America and what America thinks. Who said that america owned the planet? America is forced by International Law to recognize it just like New Sealand ( I'm not talking about New Zealand here, but New Sealand just off the coast of England where a millionaire did this after WW2