• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Billionaire To Create His Own Libertarian Country

Should people be allowed to start their own countries?

• yes

Votes: 60 64.5%
  • no

Votes: 33 35.5%

• Total voters
dis is de most retarded thing ever

retard1:im gonna make a country
normal guy:get a life ya amadan

the catholic church made their own country in the vatican. and they seem to be successful. i guess it depends on how smart and moneyed the people are.

Gen1Trainer

ya well dis is just 1 guy and hes a retarded n00b like doodles

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
the catholic church made their own country in the vatican. and they seem to be successful. i guess it depends on how smart and moneyed the people are.

And how solid the ground is. Or, you know, if there is any ground :rolleyes:

The church is a little bit different. They aren't one 30 something year old responsible for a whole country. They are well educated, intelligent, and are a huge influence. This guy did what exactly? Create one social website? I highly doubt he has the capability to run a country.

Is this even still happening, anyway?

And how solid the ground is. Or, you know, if there is any ground :rolleyes:

The church is a little bit different. They aren't one 30 something year old responsible for a whole country. They are well educated, intelligent, and are a huge influence. This guy did what exactly? Create one social website? I highly doubt he has the capability to run a country.

Is this even still happening, anyway?

i guess authoritarian indoctrination causes people like you to have that sort of belief. that regular successful people are nothing without a parasitic government.
im sure that guy can manage with his country. there are several remote tribes who exist in their own 'world' for thousands of years even though they have no other support except themselves.
with his resources and ability to find intelligent people he will be successful.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
i guess authoritarian indoctrination causes people like you to have that sort of belief. that regular successful people are nothing without a parasitic government.
im sure that guy can manage with his country. there are several remote tribes who exist in their own 'world' for thousands of years even though they have no other support except themselves.
with his resources and ability to find intelligent people he will be successful.

Except those people live on land. This guy intends to build a country in the middle of an ocean, where he cannot grow crops, raise livestock, and provide for his people. The ancient tribes are able to provide for themselves, but this guy can't support an entire country on fish alone. He would have to engage in trade with other countries, join the UN to avoid scrambles with the world's major powers, rely on other nations for construction supplies to expand their area for living, etc. This guy can't do it without outside support from other nations, and to be honest, why should anyone waste their time with a rich boy crying for attention? He's just making a scene, and frankly, other countries have better things to spend their money on than a small fake country doomed from the start...

This guy intends to build a country in the middle of an ocean, where he cannot grow crops...
Sure he can.
The ancient tribes are able to provide for themselves, but this guy can't support an entire country on fish alone.
Fishing could certainly prove itself a major source of food, even if not the only source.
He would have to engage in trade with other countries...
Without question.
...join the UN to avoid scrambles with the world's major powers...
No.

Quoting from The Futurist Magazine:
“The Institute of International Law stated in its Brussels session in 1936: ‘Recognition of a new Nation is a free decision by which one or several Nations corroborate the existence on a determined territory of a human society, politically organized, independent of any other nation, capable of complying with International Law, and their decision is made public, recognizing the new Nation as a member of the International Community.’

...[T]he UN has received dozens of requests for recognition from various micro-nations over the years. For the most part, these requests are simply filed away and forgotten.”

And from WorldStatesmen.org:
“...[M]icro-nations do not generally have diplomatic relationships with the recognized nation-states of the world or major international bodies (such as the UN).”

And yet they trade. The lot of them. Many exist as profitable enterprises.

So it is flatly mistaken to imagine that recognition by the UN is something needed before trade is to proceed.
This guy can't do it without outside support from other nations, and to be honest, why should anyone waste their time with a rich boy crying for attention?
I've no idea why you would have contempt for this person, whom you do not know, or would attempt to adjudge his motives, which you don't know either.

Ðew™

Definition of insanity
I also raised an eyebrow at a few of the libertarian ideals the article gave as examples of policy: no welfare, no minimum wage, and more freedom with weaponry. If his country doesn't end up filled with already self-sustainable rich citizens, those three combined seem like they spell bloody disaster already.

Ah, beats me. I'd be mostly interested in seeing the legal and social processes required to get his floating moneyland recognized as an actual country.

I quoted this since I have to give a shout out to someone that pointed out the word "libertarian" before I did, thus beating one of sppf's biggest government nerds...me.

Libertarians believe in little to no government. The crazy thing that is the US's tea party consists of these...not all of it, just big part of it.

The question is thus "Will it succeed?" other than "Will it be accepted?". Even a small amount of government, I believe, will still result in lawlessness, thus resulting in a complete failure of the government.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
I'd say the nation is less of a "libertarian nation" and more of a "i have money so I can do whatever I want nation." The man has money so he can import whatever he wants to his island. He doesn't have any real resources so I don't see anyone actually threatening him any time soon and if anyone dares threaten him, he will most likely come crawling back to the U.S. For protection. The problem with the "micronation" or this being a testament to the "great libertarianism" is that while he makes his country libertarian, he mooches off the United States. The whole situation is about as humurous as internet anarchists. I suppose the real question should be: why should we care about this micronation? (unless the man starts using his island as an excuse to break laws online with facebook, etc.)

Last edited:

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
ya well dis is just 1 guy and hes a retarded n00b like doodles

Obvious troll is obvious. <sigh> I yearn for the days when Satfire333 was the antagonist.

I'd say the nation is less of a "libertarian nation" and more of a "i have money so I can do whatever I want nation." The man has money so he can import whatever he wants to his island. He doesn't have any real resources so I don't see anyone actually threatening him any time soon and if anyone dares threaten him, he will most likely come crawling back to the U.S. For protection. The problem with the "micronation" or this being a testament to the "great libertarianism" is that while he makes his country libertarian, he mooches off the United States. The whole situation is about as humurous as internet anarchists. I suppise the real question should be: why should we care about this micronation? (unless the man starts using his island as an excuse to break laws online with facebook, etc.)
The state will feel threatened when/ if this works.

I guess this possible 'Libertania' raises the question, how legitimate is it to just make a nation? Can people or a person just found a country on a whim?

Indeed, I wish this guy success; if it works it'll be something grand. If not, at least there may have been some technological lessons to learn.

Manafi's Dream said:
This guy can't do it without outside support from other nations, and to be honest, why should anyone waste their time with a rich boy crying for attention?
You do realise no nation on the planet is truly self-sufficient? Every nation engages in trade and international relations.

Manafi''s Dream said:
He's just making a scene, and frankly, other countries have better things to spend their money on than a small fake country doomed from the start...
What if the nation works?

Last edited:

littlea53

Prince of Darkness
I see no problem with creating an independent country. If he is willing on spending all his resources and time to pursue such a profound dream, by all means!

manaphy72

I honestly believe that people shouldn't beable to start there own country.

Why you may ask, What happens when there laws are Mis functioned by The wrong ideas or The wrong people. For all we know the person who is creating it can make that place a beatiful place, or Hell Above the ground.

Would I move there, NO. Who says who runs for president, Who makes it to the governer. Its not a board game, or a make up game, Its real. You would have a tiny country as well.

Also How would the goverment work, I know, however the guy who is creating wants it to be, If he wants to have princess and princes then he gets what he wants, But this will be a tiny country vulnerable to storms, Hurricanes even. And What will the Currency be like, What will the Religion be like.

What will be the culture there, What will be the Animals there. There are so many questions to be answered and They havent yet. He or She would need years to figure everything out for the country to run decent

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I honestly believe that people shouldn't beable to start there own country.

Why you may ask, What happens when there laws are Mis functioned by The wrong ideas or The wrong people. For all we know the person who is creating it can make that place a beatiful place, or Hell Above the ground.

Would I move there, NO. Who says who runs for president, Who makes it to the governer. Its not a board game, or a make up game, Its real. You would have a tiny country as well.

Also How would the goverment work, I know, however the guy who is creating wants it to be, If he wants to have princess and princes then he gets what he wants, But this will be a tiny country vulnerable to storms, Hurricanes even. And What will the Currency be like, What will the Religion be like.

What will be the culture there, What will be the Animals there. There are so many questions to be answered and They havent yet. He or She would need years to figure everything out for the country to run decent

This grammar scared me o_O

I've actually had an opinion change on this subject from reading my AP US History book. I see no reason to not let him, as about one fourth of our original 13 colonies were started by one man: Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and Georgia. I think that if our nation started out this way, then there is no telling what the possibilities could be for this tiny country on the sea. However, if he is not very organized or intelligent, then I could see this easily failing.

manaphy72

This grammar scared me o_O

I've actually had an opinion change on this subject from reading my AP US History book. I see no reason to not let him, as about one fourth of our original 13 colonies were started by one man: Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and Georgia. I think that if our nation started out this way, then there is no telling what the possibilities could be for this tiny country on the sea. However, if he is not very organized or intelligent, then I could see this easily failing.

I completely understand what you are saying on how the 13 colonies were. But there were many men there to help, (back then women didnt help) So if he goes out to his new country he wont have as much help as A0merica or China gets

Also, what happens if he does fail to keep up with his country, Does he "Shut it Down" He wouldnt be able to do so.

So my point against yours manafi is I am not saying you are wrong but you showed if he does fail, what will happen to this country

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I completely understand what you are saying on how the 13 colonies were. But there were many men there to help, (back then women didnt help) So if he goes out to his new country he wont have as much help as A0merica or China gets

He would likely hire workers to get his country started, i.e. housing construction, public buildings, local architecture, etc.

Also, what happens if he does fail to keep up with his country, Does he "Shut it Down" He wouldnt be able to do so.

He probably could, but there would be some pissed off citizens if he completely destroyed what he built from the ground (or water) up.

Spme major concerns:

-what kind of transportation system would these people have?
-what kind of sewage system would they have? After all, they'll be living on the ocean
-government system?
-banks?
-education system?

This guy has got a lot of thinking to do...

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
Just hearing about this makes me think of Kickassia a bit...