• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Black and White sprites

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
iaza11719710892500.gif

get it? Black and White, as in the color of 1st gen games!

-Raiga-

Some of them don't translate to black and white too well. For instance, I don't think any sprite, regardless of how odd some of them are, in the first generation was as hard to understand as the black and white excadrill.

Its not too bad in color, but it looks like two eyballs on fire or something in the second one.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
Excadrill reminds me of Krookdile in this, and not in the good way. Excadrill's face = Krookodile's nose (and that thing looks hideous.)

Excadrill looks... weirdly positioned. I love how you made Stunfish derpy like, BTW.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
Stunfisk looks good, the others... not so much.

Zozo1999

has left Serebii
I love how you made them ugly, like 1st Gen Sprites, but I think you overdid it a little bit. I though Excadrill was Samurott because it's Knife head thing is positioned oddly. Drilbur's head seems a tad too small, too. Derpfish is perfect, well done. you should have made him do his creepy smile

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
Drillbur and Stunfisk look excellent. I think you went a little overboard on the weird factor on Excadrill, but Excadrill's "drill" shouldn't be curling in like that. How would it drill? On the back sprite of Drillbur on the left side there are some extra grey pixels, they shouldn't be there, or if anything it should be black.
Like this:
Spr_b_g1_066.png

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
iaza11719716739300.gif

tried a new pose for Excadrill, though I like the pose of his front claws in retrospect to his face, I feel that's somthing very 1st gen.

And Druddigon, also, a comparison, the reason I did these 3, is the sprites widely accepted for them as a 1st gen sprite looks terrible.

Last edited:

-Raiga-

I think when you KNOW what excadrill looks like in the first place it was a good sprite. I just find that as bad as they are, I could have got a feel for the pokemon before I seen them in the anime when I originally played R/B/Y.

If I'm being honest, I think the newer excadrill sprite is worse, as I really have no idea whats going on with its face.

The druddigon sprite is GREAT though, if not a tad too clean however.

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'
not every sprite was horrible warped and created. a lot of the old sprites were pretty solid.

but if you actually did these, good job, i couldn't take the time to do these

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Of course I did them, I'm not the kindof Lowlife to steal spries (THOUGH FOR THE RECORD, the bottom 3 of last post are NOT mine, as I stated, they are the 3 versions widely accepted online as the RBY versions of the pokemon, and the reason I made my 4, is to give better ones, as imo, the 3 shown in the bottom are too deformed from the style, if anyone took time to read the post, they'd know that).

FOR CLARIFICATIONS
iaza11719761105000.gif

-Raiga-

Ah, they way you made it sound before was that their design overall is widely accepted as 1st gen-like, so you used those pokemon specifically.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
With the exception of Excadrill, I like all of your versions better than the accepted versions. Druddgion (sp?) looks a bit broken with the accepted versions (all of the face should be showing).

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Druddigon's face is pillow shaded, a problem even RB styled sprites didn't have. Also, I think you missed some transparency inside its mouth.

I must admit I'm liking these though; you're really getting the feel of the old style.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
yes, Druddigon's being a real pain, it'd be better if there was a RBY pallet that was red and blue, come to think of it, did any 1st gen pokemon have bodys who had 2 major conflicting clors on it?

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Druddigon's face is pillow shaded, a problem even RB styled sprites didn't have. Also, I think you missed some transparency inside its mouth.

MF's versions are the ones on top, not the bottom...

yes, Druddigon's being a real pain, it'd be better if there was a RBY pallet that was red and blue, come to think of it, did any 1st gen pokemon have bodys who had 2 major conflicting clors on it?

No, they were all monochromatic. 2nd gen introduced the use of 2 conflicting colors.

I think on Excadrill you should maybe try moving his left claw over, giving more room for detail on the face. I think the pose is fine enough, but its face just seems to be more of a blur than a face. And maybe try to straighten out that top drill above his head. It looks like its melting.

NovaStar

█ ▄ █ ▄
Only one that comes to mind is Porygon, and they didn't even capitalize that until Yellow.
Only gripe is that you can't see Excadril's face clearly between his claws just like Fused pointed out.
Anyways nice sprites, you pretty much aced the style.

Last edited:
Your sprites are very good. And really, they've always been good, in almost every thread of yours that I've seen. They're clean, they look like Red/Blue sprites, and they far exceed the currently accepted ones.

I prefer you original Exacdrill sprite. I agree, not being able to see all the face is bothering me a little.

About Druddigon, and correct me if I'm wrong cos I can't see any Red & Blue sprites right now, the face looks like there's too much shading. I don't think there was that much shading and I don't thin there was much dithering until Yellow at least. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Lady Legend <3

OMG FREE HUGS!? 8D
Wow! You did a great job with those! They look so neat and clean and if I didn't know any better I'd think they were real ones! Keep up the good work!