• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Blast from the past (JoltWak)

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Just as my interest shifted towards old school gaming I stumbled across an astonishing combo that Competitive Pokemon has long forgotten: JoltWak.
Now that I have completed my Full Baton Pass team I treated my curiosity with a Fast Baton Pass/High Offense team using some of my favorite Gen.1 Pokemon that has worked well for me on PO so far. Anyway heres the team:

SECTION 1: The Ancient Core

ancient-eyes.jpg

This part of the team will cover the JoltWak(obviously consisting of Jolteon and Marowak) core,which alone can often devastate entire teams with just one or two boosts and one or two wrong moves by the opposition. High risk,High reward is the name of the game here.

Jolteon_Dash_by_chaoslavawolf.jpg

Jolteon (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Baton Pass
- Agility

Umbreon is actually my most favorite Pokemon, and while this isnt it, all of the adorable Eeveelutions(even Flareon) hold a special place in my videogame loving heart.
Jolteon is the first half of this once sacred combo, Baton Passing a critical speed boost to Marowak. Focus Sash lets it take the hit after it uses Agility so I can subsequently use Baton Pass, I originally had HP EVs and Leftys but even with a bulky spread, sadly, Jolteon still couldnt take any hits and as a result I was often left without a Jolteon very quickly. In losing that pivotal Agility boost I basically lose an extra Pokemon since Marowak depends on it.
Thundebolt is my STAB move,and teaches the Toad a lesson,as well as denting Skarmory and Empoleon.
Hidden Power Ice is great for disposing of Dragonite,Donphan,Landorus and Gliscor(you know,the usual reasons why Ice coverage is useful). Jolteon's main purpose isn't to attack though,its to pull off an Agility and pass it to Marowak.

Marowak_Request_by_Kyrara.jpg

Marowak (M) @ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Double Edge
- Fire Punch

I've actually used Marowak before in a Trick Room team last generation and let me tell you,this guy is a one mon apocalypse.
Marowak is the second part of the combo,the muscle,the win condition. This guy is more straightforward than his partner,just predict and sweep. Its usually that simple,and its no surprise why considering Marowak has higher physically offensive potential than Deoxys-A. The Jolly nature lets me take full advantage of the Agility boost and is preferable since my Attack stat will still be the highest (nonboosted) in the game. Earthquake provides great STAB while Fire Punch covers steels that either cant be hit with EQ or are hit harder with Fire Punch.
Double Edge hits levitators such as Latios and Rotom W hard and scores a decent hit on Salamence and Gyarados,it just provides great neutral coverage overall.
You'd think Marowak would have enough raw power to muscle through even the most dedicated walls in OU, but sadly that isnt the case, but luckily Swords Dance remedies that problem and is easier to set up than it seems (Marowak forces tons of switches). After just one boost Marowak reaches a skyscraping Attack of 1046,and thats with Jolly! Couple that with a boosted Speed of 418 and its GG!

SECTION 2: The Hard Hitting Backup Crew

300px-BackupSoldier5DS1-EN-C-1E.png

Obviously I needed to fill those other 4 slots in my team to support JoltWak,and at first I was spicing up a pretty sweet defense core before I changed my mind and turned it into an offensive squad, fitting my somewhat HO playstyle better. Not only do I have a GWF core here but an interesting formula/pattern of attackers I may use in later teams consisting of 2 special attackers and 2 physical attackers.
One of each with a bulky Ev spread,and one of each with a sweeper spread.

Gyarados_Off_Kanagawa_by_operatingthetan.jpg

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Taunt

Gyarados is a somewhat overlooked threat in 5th Gen. and I'm ready to remind people just how powerful this sea dragon is.
The bulky EV spread plus Intimidate helps me sponge attacks while setting up DD on common physical threats such as Scizor and Infernape. Waterfall is excellent STAB and works great in rain while also tearing down common sand sweepers. I was never a big fan of Gyarados' secondary STAB move and it's bad tendency to waste a turn that the opponent can use to make smartass moves,yet I cant deny its power and ability to destroy Breloom,Virizion,Mienshao and Venusaur as well as give great neutral coverage with Waterfall. I'm using Taunt to stop utility Pokemon (Ferrothorn in particular,who walls this set) from setting up and then switch to a counter.

lilligant___quiver_dance_by_clovers_n_papers-d3eu7ck.jpg

Lilligant (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 36 SAtk / 32 Spd
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

Lilligant isnt seen in OU much and especially not with a set like this,but I soon realized just how perfectly this fit my team with its dual utility of checking both Rain and Sun teams. Thanks to Quiver Dance and Chlorophyll I can afford to run a more defensive spread in order to retaliate better against threats like Conkeldurr and Gliscor. Unfortunatley Lilligant's movepool is pitiful,but its enough to get by those nasty bulky waters. Quiver Dance is the crux of the set,and being able to laugh at your opponent's Vaporeon while setting up is all too sweet.Hidden Power Rock lets me take down Lilligant's usual counters,Volcarona and Dragonite(as well as scoring a neutral hit on Heatran), that try to hinder my sweep. Giga Drain offers recovery and STAB of a type much needed on the team. Sleep Powder is the best I can do against Steel types and Blissey, and sometimes I may choose to gamble and try to beat them anyway now that the status condition allows me to set up.

InfernapeC.jpg

Infernape (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

A team full of pure sweepers is never a good thing and so I included the best mixed attacker I could muster up,Infernape.
Although still predominantly physical,Infernape provides a little more versatility than the other sweepers on this team, being able to smack around the likes of Tyranitar and Haxorus with Close Combat while blasting through dedicated physical walls such as Skarmory and Donphan with Overheat.
Its pretty fair to say that having an available user of Close Combat improves almost any team by miles, spamming it is just too much fun,particularly against a Rotom assuming you will switch,therefore Tricking you its scarf and making Ape an even faster CCbat spammer. Stone Edge provides coverage against fliers such as Gyarados and Tornadus(just for the sake of not naming Dragonite again....oops). Stone Edge also provides an attack to use against psychics and ghosts to get them into KO range for Overheat(and then continue sweeping).
The last slot can be filled by a lot of things,though I usually use Stealth Rock to get some sort of entry hazard on the team.

alakazam_by_tatatorterra-d30mv2r.jpg

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Alakazam falls nothing short of excellent. I was pretty shocked at its downfall last gen,and even more so that it never made BL. However,in 5th Gen Alakazam is back to reclaim his OU territory from the days of old.
Offensive Calm Mind Alakazam turns around a lot of battles in my favor,particularly because of the free LO boost coupled with a great boosting move and awesome coverage, and just raw speed and power in general. Magic Guard is an amazing ability that negates entry hazard damage and Sandstorm damage that sometimes mean the difference between being KOed or not by a priority move. Being able to absorb burn and poison for the team is a huge boon as well, protecting it from paralysis and sleep while supporting its partners. Calm Mind allows Alakazam to compete in ferocious games of chicken with Reuniclus,Jirachi,the Lati twins,Virizion,Espeon and the rare Cofagrigus,with Alakazam often being the victor thanks to superior speed,Shadow Ball to hit opposing Psychics harder, and Psyshock.
Psyshock allows Alakazam to act as a psuedo mixed sweeper,screwing over Blissey and specially defensive Politoed.
Focus Blast provides extra coverage needed to hit Steel types and Dark types such as Heatran and Scrafty.

Well thats the team! Feel free to critisize.

Last edited:
Good team. Nice pictures :D .

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Changes. Please help me decide between Stone Edge and Double Edge on Marowak.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
Changes. Please help me decide between Stone Edge and Double Edge on Marowak.

Hmm that is definately a tricky one because both are quite viable (though personally I go with Rock Slide because of the Flinch+kings rock combo). I'd go with Double Edge because Gyrados, Infernape, and Joleton can handle what Stone Edge covers. Plus Marowak can be fragile sometimes so he cannot afford an accuracy drop. But that is just my opinion

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Double Edge give you more Neutral Coverage which is important on a sweeper such as Marowak. I's rather have Neutral Coverage>Stone Miss. I'd hate for your sweep to be closed too quickly due to a miss. Also, Double Edge hits harder than a Neutral Stone Edge. Might want to try Focus Sash>LO on Alakazam, but that is more preference, but it ensures a Calm Mind Boost.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Bump! Changes and corrections made.

JASP01

Illust. Grand Master
Wouldn't Zapdos be a better Agil Baton Passer than Jolteon? Since it's less frail? Just a thought.

Also... Loooovvvvveeee the idea!

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Wouldn't Zapdos be a better Agil Baton Passer than Jolteon? Since it's less frail? Just a thought.

Also... Loooovvvvveeee the idea!

Well the whole idea is to use JOLTEON + Marowak from GSC. And for some OCD related reason I hate using legendaries In OU teams. Idk why. But your suggestion is taken into account and I might just use Zapdos in a UU variation of the team.

Last edited:

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Remove Double Edge and use Stone Edge on Marowak. QuakeEdge has great coverage together.

80 accuracy is bothersome to me. Plus Gliscor trolls me otherwise,and so does physically defensive Latias. I already have like 3 Pokemon with Rock coverage anyway.

Enjyu

Made In China.
Stone edge marowak. Put 252 in hp on marowak. It's too slow even with speed investment.

Try energy ball on kazam instead of focus blast. Fb is unreliable and you need something to ko swampert/quaggy. They switch on lilligant.

Ttar's stone edge

League Legend
^You really don't read do you. He's already said why he's using return. Good team, nothing too drastic to change

NoteLobo

Banned
Pretty good team. The only problem I foresee is the lack of bulk (I'm always harping on that aren't I?) in some of your members. I have used Infirnape before and it can't take hits well at all, flying and rock type attacks OHKO it most every time. This is a problem because Infirnape is your only resitance to dark type and ghost type moves that will plague your alacazam. Other then that solid team, I always loved Marrowak myself.