• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Blaziken Originally Legendary?

Sorry if this is old but anyway...

I recently went to a videogame exhibition here in Australia called Game On which went through the history of videogames. There was obviously a Pokemon section with official Sugimori images and one contained a girl riding a Blaziken/L@tias crossover.

It would seem Blaziken was originally going to be an orange and red version of Lati@s but was eventually given legs and made into the final form of Torchic instead. Game Freak must of then redesigned the legendary to the Latas and Latios we have today.

The exhibition didn't allow cameras of any kind but I'm sure others have to of seen this, especially other Australians who went to the exhibition.

Last edited:

Matty_G33

Wi-fi Trader
Thank you for your very long, convincing speculation.</sarcasm>

Seriously, Blaziken does not look like a deformed Lati.

EDIT: Pics or you didn't make this topic.

Last edited:

BCVM22

While it's more likely you simply misinterpreted what you saw, Pokémon is a franchise like any other, meaning its various artistic elements go through any number of concepts and redesigns before they're made final and presented to us, the consumer public. Concept art is just that; art of a concept in a stage prior to its final design.

BCVM22

Yes I misinterpreted a red, orange and white Latias with a Blaziken's head in a Pokemon section. >_>

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, all things considered. Again, concept art is the key term, chief. Clearly it was some sort of early Lati- concept that had a more birdlike (key: birdlike; Blaziken is birdlike, but it does not indicate that Blaziken played a different role originally) appearance as opposed to their eventual dragonesque visages. Nothing to write home about.

mangaeyes

Well I think its possible...Your not a noob and I don't think you would lie about this and lots of exibitions don't allow photography. I believe you! Wheres the evidence saying its not true?

sounds reasonable. i kinda guess that he was ment as a legendary after that he was one of the first confirmed of the hoenn. :p
laties anyone? xD

BCVM22

i kinda guess that he was ment as a legendary after that he was one of the first confirmed of the hoenn.

Doesn't work that way. By the time they see fit to reveal a next-gen Pokémon to the public, it's almost impossible that they don't have the defining framework of that generation done, not the least of which would be the new Pokémon. Whether the design that eventually became Blaziken was originally intended for a role other than a final starter evolution is one thing, but I assure you that by the time they revealed it to the public, it had firmly been established by the artists, producers and programmers as such.

RF Steve

Banned
I am sorry if this is spam but I have to ask this. How exactly does riding a Pokemon make it a legendary? Ash rode Charzard. Its not a legendary.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
that is possible, because pojo originally thought that Blaziken was related to the Latis not only because of appearance, but because of the concept art you speak of.

-BJ-

I am sorry if this is spam but I have to ask this. How exactly does riding a Pokemon make it a legendary? Ash rode Charzard. Its not a legendary.

You's missing the point. Teh point is that in this supposed concept art, Blaziken appeared related to Lati@s. I'd like to see it.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I went to that exhibition.^-^

I did see the odd Blaziken with the trainer on back. I didn't get a good look at it since I wasn't feeling well but I did notice it was different. It was flying, well that's what I gathered from the picture despite not feeling well, I remember that.=)

I'll be going again when I get time since the exhibition is going to July. So I may be able to get a better look at it. It was quite cool seeing the early concept of Blaziken though.

I remember a fat Torchic I mean fat and chubbier than the final product we have and I remember one of the designs having it's feathers on top of it's head on the side rather than the centre.

I also remember all this rough drawings of early concepts of treecko (If I had remembered correctly)on the wall aswell. They went through quite a few designs.

Though yeah I did see the Blaziken. I'm not sure whether they were going for legendary or not. Wish I was feeling a bit better on the day I went.=/

Though some of those concepts were very early stages in character design process, though I think the Blaziken one was further down the design process, so it's plausible that they may have thought of doing Blaziken as a legendary and then thought against it when they came up with something else that fit legendary better in their opinion.

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
I wonder how they go about designing an entire evolution line? If Blaziken was initially intended for a third Lati, that would mean there was something unfinished in the Torchic line.

moa

Cascade Trainer
"Game On" about the history of videogames. Does it have any official site??
where it is??
no one has a cellphone with camera??

Last edited:

duncan

I wonder how they go about designing an entire evolution line? If Blaziken was initially intended for a third Lati, that would mean there was something unfinished in the Torchic line.

You have a point, but maybe Blaziken wasn't necessarily a Lati. Perhaps he could have just been a flying evo in the Torchic line? I don't know.

And yeah, exhibitions don't allow cameras at all, so that doesn't surprise me.

Umbreon_13

interesting not really but blaziken was going to be a blaziken a legendary hmmm that would be weird cause my blaziken is one of my strongest but okay

MaskedManAbsolkid

Did this expo happen to have early designs for Skitty, the Mudkip line and Treecko? Because I've heard of Skitty and the Mudkip line being brown and Treecko having wings.

Tomato Jr.

i don't think that blaziken could ever be legendary really. it was probably before they decided to make the evo line fire/fighting and was still fire/flying.