• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Blocked

O

Olyon

I am in desperate need of information as to how to rid myself of this problem.

I realised recently that some sites or pages on those sites that I was trying to view wouldn't show up, and that error page kept showing, the one headlined 'The page cannot be displayed'.

As I ignored these and continued to surf throughout the days I've come to realise that it happens only with secure sites. I've been unable to visit email accounts, or create any new ones; safe software such as java won't show up and things like msn messenger will not allow me to sign in.

I'm being blocked by something, and I've no idea what. I've recently downloaded ad-aware and have rid my computer of all detected threats and yet the problem persists. I hope that it is something to do with interenet connection, otherwise what else could it be?

Please help, I'm getting really bugged by this now.

Edit: After viewing a thread describing a similar problem to mine, I tried to download Spybot Search and Destroy. It all downloaded, but I am now blocked from searching for updates, obviously because it's over a secure connection. The same thing happens with Ad-Aware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trip

Former Staff Member
Hmm...

http://216.180.233.162/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

Run that program. Choose to "Scan and Save a Log File" then post that log file here. Perhaps I can help you out better then. EDIT: DO NOT REMOVE/FIX ANY OF THE THINGS YOU SEE ON THE SCREEN UNTIL I RESPOND. Most of the entries are supposed to be there and removing the wrong entries can damage your system.

Also, details like your operating system, whether this occurs only in Internet Explorer or if alternative browsers such as Mozilla Firefox are also affected, would be helpful.

Also, try this program out really quick, see if it cleans out anything. This removes the CoolWebSearch spyware program, which is well-known for being very difficult to remove and for its redirection/blocking of web pages.

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/online-tools/cwshredder.exe

- Trip

Last edited:

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
The same thing kept happening to me, too. Hijack This didn't work. No threats. What was happening you ask? My computer had two firewalls, and one was misconfigured. Try lessening your firewall, or uninstalling one if you have two, because two firewalls is a bad idea.

Trip

Former Staff Member
Magma Leader Maxie said:
The same thing kept happening to me, too. Hijack This didn't work. No threats. What was happening you ask? My computer had two firewalls, and one was misconfigured. Try lessening your firewall, or uninstalling one if you have two, because two firewalls is a bad idea.

Yes, because reducing your firewalls when you might have a rogue program in your system makes a lot of sense.

Gee, you know, there's a prison break nearby and someone might have gotten inside! Just in case, I'd better open all the windows and unlock the doors. Hopefully he'll be so kind as to leave.

Give it a chance. 99 times out of 100, I can find at least some nasties in the Hijack This! log. If it still doesn't solve it, we'll move on to something else.

Key rule of diagnosis: Always start simple. No point in jumping to do a cancer test when you have a sniffle. It could just as easily be a cold.

- Trip

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
I didn't say that killing your firewalls is the best thing to do. I believe that you are right, Trip, just that sometimes, the alleged malicious program might turn out to be something as simple as that.

Do what Trip says, post the log. I'm just saying that after I examined the results of my Hijack This! scan, there were no traces of any unfriendly programs, which was confusing. I'm suggesting an alternative in case the log fails to provide answers.

Trip said:
Key rule of diagnosis: Always start simple. No point in jumping to do a cancer test when you have a sniffle. It could just as easily be a cold.
^ Agreed. But a misconfigured firewall is simple. From what I know, it does happen from time to time.