• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Body "Art" i.e. Tattoos

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I think it's a bit judgmental to assume that someone who has tattoos is immediately a chaotic, corrupted, dangerous etc type of person.

I don't really care if people get tattoos, and I think some are very nice on some people. (Although those guys who have tattoos all over their bodies might be overdoing it, I am surprised any girl/guy would sleep with them while having to stare at a zombie head or some skeleton glaring at you, and they aren't attractive at all).

However a simple tattoo like a rose or something seems simple and can be beautiful. And to be truth if someone wants to have their girlfriend or boyfriend's name on their arm then they should be allowed to do whatever they want, it's up to them really especially if they know they will end up with that person.

As for me, I won't be ever getting tattoos, I hate getting needles at the doctor as it is, I doubt I would able to even face it, don't really want one though it's actually one of those things that I know I wouldn't do, piercings of any kind is one of the others.

TheHauntedOne

evil tofu!!!
That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. Tattoos and the like are not for everyone. However let me just say that not EVERYONE with tattoos is a gangster, rebel, or what have you. I myself have 6 tattoos and am none of the above. I go to school, work in a professional setting, and unless you hang with me on the weekends, one would never know I had any ink under my long sleeved button-ups and tie.

I put art onto my body because I think it's beautiful and I literally spent years designing them. My parents were tattooed folk so I guess I had an early appreciated for that sort of thing. It's not a "waste of money" if you really really want something. You just need to take into account that is IS permanant and I highly reccomend thinking about a tattoo years in advance before getting it. And some great advice for everyone: NEVER get anyone's name tattooed on you!

Some people like to decorate their bodies, be it with hair styles, coloured contact lenses, tattoos, piercings, scarification, fashion, it's all the same really. I do think copius amounts of tattoos are kinda tacky, especially if they're on the face. Just my opinion, but if that's what you like and what YOU want to do with yourself, I don't think anyone should be able to tell you otherwise.

Spookz

Lumos
I love body modification in general. For me, it's almost (keyword almost) an extension of clothing, which people already use to define and express themselves. I can change out my piercings, get a haircut and apply fresh color, etc. Tattoos obviously are irreversible, which is why anyone getting one should put a lot of thought into it.

That being said, I have a tattoo. I thought about it for a long time, and in the end I decided to go for it. For me, it's not just "pretty" but it's meaningful. I feel like the meaning is far more important than the artistry itself, which is why I got it done.

Mr Chili

In the trade market
O snap I love tattoos, right now I have 13 and getting another one done next month :O

Ethan

Banned
I might get a tattoo, but something small and inconspicious. Getting Rob Zombies face tattooed on my chest? Yeah not for me. A tiny symbol on my wrist, shoulder, or hip? I could for that.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I, personally, absolutely love tattoos. I would never go as far to get a full body job done, or something that takes up my entire arm, because that's just... sort of silly, imo. Eye of the beholder and all that, but whatever. I could never in my right mind get a huge dragon across my back etc. Also, it's completely silly to start judging people off if they have a tattoo/what they have a tattoo of. The entire point of the art is to get something that personally means something important for you. Having a cute little butterfly might seem silly, but to the person it could be extremely important. At least, that's how I see tattoos. I'm sure there are people out there that don't even give the slightest thought anymore, which really is a huge shame.

I actually got my dad to say yes to a tattoo. I was totally prepared to get it this summer, but nobody around Vancouver would do it unless you're eighteen. It's a smart move, with liabilities and all. The body isn't done growing at my age, but that's why I chose a spot that wouldn't really matter. You see, I was going to get a nautical star on my calf. Red and black, and I had carefully pondered the thought for months. You see, my sister has a star on her foot, and my mom had one as well. I wanted to have my own personal star, not to copy them, but as something to remind myself of all the trials that I've gone through lately.

Shame I couldn't get it done, but I will, at some point. Birthday comes up in a few months, and I know certain places will allow it if I'm 16 with parental consent. Better start researching the tattoo parlors in my town.

Last edited:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
The thing about judging people with tatoos is that it's not the tatoo itself that people judge. It's the choice to get one, what that says about the person and what message she's giving by getting one. Nowadays, tatoos are considered pretty normal. But when they weren't, they were considered symbols of rebellion. Even now, if you have extensive tatooing... it's important to think about the reasons you're having it done and whether it's worth the stigma that comes with it. People should be aware of their judgements for what they are, but really, they can't help judging. We live in a world of signs and codes, and culture plays a huge part in how we interpret them. Well, culture can be interpreted as nothing but a network of signs, but... well, the point is, we don't really have a lot of freedom in how we judge things.

natie

Mr. F
Tattoos get stretched out as you grow older. Which then makes each and every one of them look ugly as ****.

I don't like 'em.

natie

Mr. F
When you start getting wrinkles in certain places, you'll notice (this is what I wanted to say actually, but I couldn't think of the opposite of stretching).

??????

That guy.
Am I the only one who hates tattoos?

I just think they are pointless. For art, there are so many other creative outlets for passion. I just don't see a logical reason to mame yourself for life with a message that may or may not apply to you later, and looks worse and unprofessional as you age. Not to judge, but I think the choice to get one is just one of simple rebellion you never see much of adults getting them, only immature teens. Way to stick it to The Man guys! -__-

But hey, if its your thing, go for it. It is definitely not mine.

Ethan

Banned
Tattoos get redone and re-colored as you age, making stretching and the like pretty much a non issue.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Then there are tattoos that just make you question why that person would get them.
example 1
example 2
^it's the same guy

eeveefox

I actually like the darkrai one, I wouldn't get it but I can admire it on someone else.Mewtwo one is a bit poor quality but apparently the guy's getting it reshaded so...

I just think they are pointless. For art, there are so many other creative outlets for passion. I just don't see a logical reason to mame yourself for life with a message that may or may not apply to you later, and looks worse and unprofessional as you age. Not to judge, but I think the choice to get one is just one of simple rebellion you never see much of adults getting them, only immature teens. Way to stick it to The Man guys! -__-

But hey, if its your thing, go for it. It is definitely not mine.

lol, most females "maim" themselves with ear piercings and people rarely give them grief about it.

Yes tattoos are pointless but by the same logic so is presenting your hair nicely or wearing nice clothes.Tattoos are just a bigger commitment.
I'm not into some types of tattoos but if they mean something to the person that has them, good for them.

I have two tattoos and they're both black and small.I don't have to show them if I don't want to and I love them.I'm not trying to "stick it to The Man".I have them for me because I like them.

Profesco

gone gently

Probably not. Hate's a strong word, though. I don't like them, and I more or less agree with the pointlessness, but some do turn out to be pretty beautiful. Generally (meaning this is a generalization!), if someone's getting a tattoo, I'd be skeptical of their maturity, honorability, and self-esteem, but it does mean different things to different people, and I'd never actually make a judgement of someone based on it. To each their own.

That paragraph, word for word, can also be applied to excessive piercings.

There was a comic in the paper, showing the elderly citizens of a few decades ago comparing scars from wars and hip surgeries and so on, contrasted with the elderly citizens of a few decades in the future, comparing distorted and no longer recognizable tattoos. I thought it was funny, but also articulate and apt. :D

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
I must commend that guy for getting a Darkrai Tattoo. Lucky for me, I have a dA account. :D

I think tattoos are okay. I wouldn't get one, though, 'cause I can't stand pain. AT ALL.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Tattoos are not for me, I don't have a problem with many of them, I do think they're cool if they actually mean something like those tribal natives who paint themselves in tattoos I can respect that and what ever meaning/story they have for them. Those street gangsters who want to represent their hoods and their groups with tattoos I can see how it might mean something to them, but it's still meaningless in general to me. Anyone else if tattoos are your identity then that's fine, we all do things to ourselves to make us stand out more.
Is it art, yes, is it good art? Some are, do they have meaning? They could.

natie

Mr. F
Tattoos get redone and re-colored as you age, making stretching and the like pretty much a non issue.
Interesting, I didn't know that. But, as jb said, I doubt that when you're older, you'd put any priority in recolouring a tattoo.

Varnani

Infernus Rex
Well, I believe it is as wrong to "categorize" people with tattoos as it is to get one for the wrong reasons.

I do laugh and despise people who do it for the "badass" look or whatever, getting IDIOTIC stuff that doesn't mean anything. Body art should be just that, art on your body, an image that means something to you (and only you, because it is in YOUR body).

razz