• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bonds of Mega Evolution (837)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Right now, the only qualm I have with this episode is that Ash didn't know who Mawile was when he has clearly seen one before. Other than that, it was pretty decent and it was nice they finally gave a proper explanation as to why Lucario lost control when it mega evolved. I have to admit that when Gurkinn tried to explain it, I was a little confused

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Right now, the only qualm I have with this episode is that Ash didn't know who Mawile was when he has clearly seen one before. Other than that, it was pretty decent and it was nice they finally gave a proper explanation as to why Lucario lost control when it mega evolved. I have to admit that when Gurkinn tried to explain it, I was a little confused

I'm more surprised he didn't quite tell her straight that she needs to calm down, so I guess he just wanted her to take the hard way out.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm more surprised he didn't quite tell her straight that she needs to calm down, so I guess he just wanted her to take the hard way out.
It's probably similar to how children need to completely learn lessons from experience rather than their parents/guardians just telling them what they should or shouldn't do

Vipsoccermaster

Pretty good episode. Glad that Korrina is now able to control Lucario during its Mega Evolution. Mabel knew doing flower arrangements were the right test for them to do.

-chazz-

Pokemon master
Amazing episode in my opinion and the perfect end to the Korrina arc, i probably wouldnt have liked it if they dragged it through another episode.

Mega Mawille was great, i didnt expect it to be so tall (compared to it normally). I knew what Mables intention with the flowers was from the start but thats not a bad thing as it is a kids show.

It was great to actually see Fennekin after a while of it not appearing, and seeing Chespin acknowleged as Clemonts companion, i thought he was going to bring out Bunnelby.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty good episode. It was nice to finally see Korrina and Mega Lucario begin working together as well as seeing a Mega Mawile.

thetamale

It was a decent episode though I've not been fond of the Korrina arc. It still irks me that Mawile changes form instead of getting an actual evolution but what can you do. I enjoyed the Mable character.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Even though I've seen a similar story before, it didn't make it any less entertaining.

Who knew flower arranging was so effective, but the real point is that doing things together, brings you together. However, it still took Mabel some extra encouragement for Korrina to understand.

I may be the only one to see the last of the haunting eyes, but I'm so glad that Korrina has mastered Lucario's control of mega evolution and now they can train harder as users of mega evolution. Also, nice for Lucario to learn Aura Sphere as I always associate Lucario with that move.

Great episode, onto the next one!

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I also had a problem with Ash not knowing what a Mawile was. This has happened before, too, with other Pokemon as well. However, he does remember previous Pokemon at the same time. Serena would have been the person to bring out her dex to scan the Pokemon Ash already knows about.

Nice of Korrina to work with Lucario and in controlling mega evolution. Yay. Im sure the gym battle will be great too.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I have absolutely no problem with Ash forgetting what a Mawile is.

There are loads of animals in the world that I've seen multiple times and still couldn't name. I really don't understand why you'd expect a ten year old character to have some form of superhuman memory..

Wrong again.
Still no Blazkien guy!

I had a feeling the constant flower arrangement task was part of Korrina and Lucarios training, along with the whole mountain thing.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Bonds of Mega Evolution seems to be the last we'll see of rogue Mega Lucario, and thank goodness for that because my poor little heart couldn't take another second of that horrifying sight. On Pumace Mountain, Ash & Co. + Korrina meet Mabel, an elderly woman with a Mega Mawile. Her Mega beats Korrina's in battle, and she proceeds to have all the kids create flower arrangements with their Pokemon for several days straight. Each trainer plus Pokemon pair was able to consistently create a coexisting, whole piece, while Korrina and Lucario's arrangements are very dualistic and unharmonious. It is only when Korrina and Lucario spend more time together in the mountains that they are able to learn to work as one and create a unified arrangement. Mabel explains, with very confusing, inconsistent wording, that Korrina and Lucario think and act similarly but view things differently. (???) I thought I understood the message before this dreadful explanation, but afterwards I was left very unsure of what the lesson was all along. Basically, it seems it all comes down to Korrina letting Lucario act on its own too often. Whatever, that's what I and probably most of us were thinking anyway, but the explanation is quite lackluster and not very well worded.

Ultimately, Korrina is able to control Mega Lucario by stopping it during its rampage, reminding it of the phrase "one heart, two viewpoints", and telling it to let its aura take over its body. All in all, its a messy ending to a unique arc. I did like the whole flower arrangement training stuff--that made sense--but all the explanations and the resolution that followed were just way too convoluted and inconsistent for anyone to truly understand, let alone the kids that this show is marketed towards. Whatever. Rogue Mega Lucario is wicked scary yet awesome, and I don't think I'll ever forget that crazed look in its eyes.

Grade: Q ~ Why a Q? Because I don't think this episode made a whole lot of sense, so I'm giving it a grade that doesn't make sense.

Side Note: If someone can offer me a solid explanation of why Mega Lucario went berserk and as to how the issue was resolved (like, what does "let the aura take over your body" even mean?), please let me know.--I would appreciate it.

EDIT: It appears that the show was giving an overly-convuluted, somewhat absurd explanation for what could have been a very simple solution. Nonetheless, no matter what the message was, it definitely did a poor job of communicating it.

Real Grade: C

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Side Note: If someone can offer me a solid explanation of why Mega Lucario went berserk and as to how the issue was resolved (like, what does "let the aura take over your body" even mean?), please let me know.--I would appreciate it.

Nothing. What Korrina just needed was basically just act stereotypical like every other Gym Leader: calm and composed. She was just all over the place without putting a proper figurative leash on her dog.

The aura thing is poorly implemented here. Those two heavily rely on stones rather than the innate aura skill. Remember those aura waves that could push air? They are never brought up again. If anything, they forgot and ultimately scrapped the aura mechanic since Riley departed, probably to advertise Mega Evolution in a rushed sense.

And it will get worse later on.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Nothing. What Korrina just needed was basically just act stereotypical like every other Gym Leader: calm and composed. She was just all over the place without putting a proper figurative leash on her dog.

The aura thing is poorly implemented here. Those two heavily rely on stones rather than the innate aura skill. Remember those aura waves that could push air? They are never brought up again. If anything, they forgot and ultimately scrapped the aura mechanic since Riley departed, probably to advertise Mega Evolution in a rushed sense.

And it will get worse later on.

Thanks, that's basically what I was thinking and it makes sense. They really gave a pretty complex, confusing explanation for what should have been a really simple solution.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well I was glad that Korrina and Lucario left the group here in the end, plus I was happy that her Lucario could finally control himself as a mega at least hee hee. Mapel and her mega Mawile were pretty cool as well. :3

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I'm surprised Team Rocket waited as long as they did to pounce on Pikachu and mawile. I mean, there is precedent- they did the same thing back in season seven's "Tru Blue Swablu"- but dang, waiting a whole month with nothing going on but flower arranging would take a lot of patience. I got the point before the others did that Mabel was watching for lucario and Korrina to become one, but that's one long month. I liked Serena's boredom, though, LOL. I'm glad lucario finally got under control as well.

6/10

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
These episodes suddenly make a lot more sense if Gamefreak included the
Pokedex entries for the Mega Pokemon. Without a strong bond, they'll turn into blood crazed beasts as seen here and PSMD.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
These episodes suddenly make a lot more sense if Gamefreak included the
Pokedex entries for the Mega Pokemon. Without a strong bond, they'll turn into blood crazed beasts as seen here and PSMD.

However, it really doesn't make sense. One part is completely missing from the anime's depiction, and the other is pretty much not there because it's rather "UGH WHY ARE MY STRONG BLOWS NOT WORKING RIGHT AAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!" than what you think it is.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Maple looked simple and elderly when Satoshi's friends first met her, but she soon proved that looks can be deceiving. I liked watching her Mega Kucheat beat Corni's Mega Lucario, and the flower arranging exercise was fun. It's sort of ironic that the Rocket-dan were the ones who helped solve Mega Lucario's problems.