• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bonfire Night

With Bonfire night fast approaching I was wondering what some of you have planned to do?

I know that the majority of the time it tends to rain but that still doesn't stop me from going to see firework displays.

In case any of you were wondering Bonfire night is celebrated on the 5th November in the UK to mark the occasion when Guy Fawkes was caught trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London. Fireworks are set off and bonfires are set up and burnt usually with a doll placed on top to resemble Guy Fawkes.

Also if any of you from any other countries have heard of Bonfire night or celebrate it let me know, I would find it interesting. Thanks!

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
I tend to go to a public bonfire, along with fireworks. but I always miss it getting lit. Urgh.

A holiday celebrating fire and explosions is my type of thing.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
In case any of you were wondering Bonfire night is celebrated on the 5th November in the UK to mark the occasion when Guy Fawkes was caught trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London. Fireworks are set off and bonfires are set up and burnt usually with a doll placed on top to resemble Guy Fawkes.

how on earth did something barbaric like that end up as a nationwide tradition? it resembles the hate towards a single lunatic by simulating his punishment.

geez, and i thought that only the yanks were nuts=/

PiplupMan

The Master of Water
Someone in my old school was related to Guy Fawkes. I'm probably not doing anything like i did last year. I use to watch fire works but not anymore.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
how on earth did something barbaric like that end up as a nationwide tradition? it resembles the hate towards a single lunatic by simulating his punishment.

geez, and i thought that only the yanks were nuts=/

Actually, that's a common misconception. Guy wasn't burned, he was hanged, drawn and quartered. It's up to you to decide which is worse :/ It became a nationwide tradition because James I declared the day that Guy Fawkes was caught to be a national holiday in celebration of Parliament not being blown to kingdom come*. Even though Fawkes wasn't the leader of the Gunpowder Plot, he was the one who was to light the fuse, so his capture was chosen to be celebrated.
(I love the excuse he used when he was found in the cellar with gunpowder hidden behind a pile of firewood: 'I am a servant of John Johnson and this is his firewood'. Apparently it almost worked)

Anyway, I usually go to a public fireworks display in a nearby park, although this year I might be doing something with friends, depending on whether or not I get invited. My money says I won't. I never do.

* And I mean that. A recent analysis of the explosion indicated that it would have completely demolished the Houses of Parliament and anyone within a 100m radius of them, shattered the windows in every building for a fair distance and been seen and heard from many miles away. One suspects they overdid it with the amount of gunpowder.

Last edited:
Cyril: We wouldn't be going into the town's park just to watch rubbish explosions in the sky.

ChedWick

Sounds like a mighty nice holiday. Few things are better than catching stuff on fire while being/getting extremely intoxicated.

Oh yeah, I read about that in my English handbook last year. It sounds fun.

Well happy Bonfire Night to all the Britains ^.^

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Actually, that's a common misconception. Guy wasn't burned, he was hanged, drawn and quartered. It's up to you to decide which is worse :/ It became a nationwide tradition because James I declared the day that Guy Fawkes was caught to be a national holiday in celebration of Parliament not being blown to kingdom come*. Even though Fawkes wasn't the leader of the Gunpowder Plot, he was the one who was to light the fuse, so his capture was chosen to be celebrated.
(I love the excuse he used when he was found in the cellar with gunpowder hidden behind a pile of firewood: 'I am a servant of John Johnson and this is his firewood'. Apparently it almost worked)

interesting, i didn't knew something like that occured in the UK. however why arn't you brits torturing the puppet then? he wasn't even burned to death to begin with.

interesting, i didn't knew something like that occured in the UK. however why arn't you brits torturing the puppet then? he wasn't even burned to death to begin with.

Im not sure but I think his body may have been placed on top after he was dead but dnt quote me on that, I don't know whether R. New has any more info on this but I only know the main points about the gunpowder plot. Still it goes to show you how different life was back then when you could go and see a public execution, well I guess in certain parts of the world you can, just not the west.

dark rift

I saw enough fireworks on halloween looking out of my back window, so I'm sure I'll see more on the 5th. I'm not looking forward to the cat's reactions though.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
i love bonfires! (genrally i love fires) we did a bonfire at my friends house and the tree burnt down,..it had squirrel living in it...they were evil:)

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Im not sure but I think his body may have been placed on top after he was dead but dnt quote me on that, I don't know whether R. New has any more info on this but I only know the main points about the gunpowder plot. Still it goes to show you how different life was back then when you could go and see a public execution, well I guess in certain parts of the world you can, just not the west.

hm hm, it could be.
however it could also be just something different like showing what the guy deserves for example, fire is often linked to hell who knows it represents that the UK wants fawkes to burn in hell.

that's what it looks like by hearing the stories then, it's uncommon that the british want fawkes to be purified by fire.

hm hm, it could be.
however it could also be just something different like showing what the guy deserves for example, fire is often linked to hell who knows it represents that the UK wants fawkes to burn in hell.

that's what it looks like by hearing the stories then, it's uncommon that the british want fawkes to be purified by fire.

I actually jst found out that bonfires were only lit as an order by the King of England to celebrate that he had survived the assassination attempt.

Interesting Holiday you got thar, brits. Good thing that guy was caught all those years ago. I don't like having to imagine what would have happened if they didn't... *cringes* I dun like bombs.

Er, have a happy Nov. 5th, Britain Sppfers and all. :)

mangaeyes

I like it. America has Thanksgiving which they always rattle on about and we have our Guy Fawkes night!!!

I've never actually made a Guy though...

Anyway me and my family usually go to our friends house for fireworks but I don't think we'll go this year. Also in the UK (well where I live) we have a lot of Asian people so Late October and early November are always lit up with fireworks from Divali (sp?) or fireworks night. Its awesome but it gets noisy when people start to light them after 9pm on a weekday :\

I've never actually made a Guy though...

You've never made a Guy? Well to be fair I only ever made one with my friends but it was fun throwing it on the bonfire. Has anyone seen Dizzee Rascals' new video for 'Dirtee Cash' as I think he is suppesed to be Guy Fawkes as he ends up on a bonfire being burnt.