• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Book Adaptions

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
This came as a passing thought, and I was wondering if anyone has been interested in making Pokemon/any other fandom adaptions of books they just read.

I'm currently planning on writing a Pokemon adaption of 'The Day of the Triffids', but it isn't a particular exciting book in terms of plot, more philosophical than anything, so I'm not so sure if I'd be able to handle it.

Synthetic

I've considered things like it; although I tend to think what happens when you do that is that to adapt it to another universe, you have to remove too much of the old universe (unless they were particularly close to begin with) that it doesn't feel right anymore. If that makes sense. So while you can have many of the same elements from the Day of the Triffids story in a pokémon setting, the circumstances around it would change so much to fit with the pokémon universe, that it perhaps would be reduced to the core story idea that was the Triffids to begin with. So it seems slightly... pointless.

Nevertheless, being inspired by a piece of work and just taking the core idea and reworking it into a fanpiece (probably the exact same thing as above), is fine and generally a done thing anyway... so I might have actually rendered my entire post void. XD" Oh well.

I personally really like the idea of a Triffids inspired pokémon story. :p The philosophy isn't hard (I don't think, at least), it just requires you to think about A or B issue and analyse it through character actions and beliefs. You pick an idea, run with it, and philosophy provokes itself during that process.

So what would be the Triffids? I'm wagering Gloom.

Synthetic

I've considered things like it; although I tend to think what happens when you do that is that to adapt it to another universe, you have to remove too much of the old universe (unless they were particularly close to begin with) that it doesn't feel right anymore. If that makes sense. So while you can have many of the same elements from the Day of the Triffids story in a pokémon setting, the circumstances around it would change so much to fit with the pokémon universe, that it perhaps would be reduced to the core story idea that was the Triffids to begin with. So it seems slightly... pointless.

Nevertheless, being inspired by a piece of work and just taking the core idea and reworking it into a fanpiece (probably the exact same thing as above), is fine and generally a done thing anyway... so I might have actually rendered my entire post void. XD" Oh well.

I personally really like the idea of a Triffids inspired pokémon story. :p The philosophy isn't hard (I don't think, at least), it just requires you to think about A or B issue and analyse it through character actions and beliefs. You pick an idea, run with it, and philosophy provokes itself during that process.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Hah! I've not done one, but two Pokemon adaptations of books I've read: "Old Man and the Sea" and "Da Vinci Code". I'm more known having adpated "Da Vinci Code," so I'm going to talk about that.

The first part of the plot of "Nothing, Everything" (the fic that's based off of "Da Vinci Code") is almost the same: one person gets wrongly accused but another person helps her out. At the same time, both found some clues left behind. The second part of NE though is where I put my own twists to it.

Another thing I did is the theme. "Da Vinci Code" has the theme of religion, but "Nothing, Everything" has the time of history, basically the concept of "history repeats itself."

Last thing is the characters. The characters in "Da Vinci Code" are totally different from "Nothing, Everything" (although one of them is slightly based off of one of the Da Vinci characters, but I still managed to make him my own).

I admit, at first I was having a little trobule making a Pokemon version of "Da Vinci Code." Heck, because of that I almost quit on it. The original version of "Nothing, Everything" is basically almost like that book. However, I then decided to try it again and I basically rewrite almost everything in order for that to happen.

All of that has paid off as I've been getting reviews that they like my own adpatation of the book. Heck, one reviewer said my version is better than "Da Vinci Code." XD;

So yeah, Pokemon/any other fandom adaptations of books can work as long as you put a few twists on your own.

Diddy

Renegade
hell, I posted one not that long ago.

An adaptation of 'The Black Cat' by Edgar Allen Poe. It's called The Yellow Delcatty and I'm not sure how good it was because like almost every other thing I've posted, it garnered no reviews.

With it I just stuck to the plot but changed some events ala making the animals into pokemon and the black cat into a Delcatty. I mean, the plot was amazing and I had a blast reading it, so I thought 'Why change it?'

I knew it isn't something everyone would have read so I thought it was right to share something that I liked so much with the masses.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit

Yeah, I get what you mean. But the setting in 'Day of the Triffids' isn't particularly 'special' that it is difficult to rework with into a Pokemon world, I'm more concerned whether it'll just be real world+Pokemon instead of Pokemon world+triffids+comet shower+plague (which is, more or less, what I'm aiming for). Then again, that might already be not the best option to go for...

I guess I just think it's hard and complex because we studied it so much in English xD. However, I would definitely rework the speaking style, since it was filled with so much Englishman-speech that it sounded unnatural (especially for today). The problem (or an asset in my case) is that Bill Masen is a very bland for a main character, pretty much a Gary Stu. I'll definitely rework that.

I was thinking Cradily actually, from the three 'stumps' and the long stem with the 'head' on the top, Cradily seems to fit the role pretty well. The problem is that Cradily's supposed to be a prehistoric Pokemon...unless I take that out altogether. I'll also have to add the rattling sticks on the stumps, which is, strictly speaking, changing its anatomy...

Synthetic

It'd probably be unwise to warp the pokémon world too much to fit with the Triffids' world. However, using a representative of the pokémon world to act in a manner becoming of the Triffid (that is, eating people by incapacitating them and waiting for their corpses to rot sufficiently), would be fine. It doesn't matter if it's a Cradily, because it's already canon that fossils can be brought back to life.

So one plausible option would be to have a Cradily that's been brought to life, then given to a trainer who unwittingly gets killed by the pokémon and eaten by it. Or a variant of that path.

The other possibility is Gloom, to me, only because they dribble that toxic honey, which could do the same thing as the Triffids' sting. That would be another approach, although probably slightly more difficult to tackle due to Oddish being quite common.

The meteorite thing could be a Flash, or something similiar. Or perhaps mass poisoning by Gloom's honey? Through some means or another?

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Well, in the book, the comets and the plague were treated as both quite arbitary events that happened to coincide (unless Bill's satellite theory was correct), so perhaps linking them together might a be a bit better. Or, it might be even a good idea to make the triffids (or in this case, the Cradilies) be the mastermind behind the entire plot.

Synthetic

It could be a perfect coincidence. :p Personally, I'm not fond of mastermind alien creatures, for some reason. I prefer seeing animals opportunistically taking what they can, and humans accidently walling themselves into a corner. Which they then have to get out of.

It COULD be interesting if the Cradily had a particular attack which was used incidently at the same time a satellite or something was passing overhead, which amplified the attack and caused widespread trouble. Sensitive equiptment used by scientists, or one of the Teams could be responsible, perhaps.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
I prefer seeing animals opportunistically taking what they can, and humans accidently walling themselves into a corner.

That, I think was one of the more prominent sci-fi themes in the book. I'm planning to stick with the philosophy of the book (as best as I can anyway), because otherwise, it'll be a pretty shallow adaption.

I'm considering delaying any plans for this fic until later on, perhaps into next year, because of a mild interest-fad thing going on through my head (two, in fact).