• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Book Recommendation Thread

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
This is for those of us who don't know what to read, but want to find something to read. Just ask for a book recommendation based on what you like, maybe suggest some recent good books that you have read. Have fun finding people with similar interest. I know I have problems finding people to just completely rant about books with because they haven't read them

Good books I've read recently: Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling, Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, pretty much any John Green book, Blue Bloods Series by Melissa De La Cruz, Divergent Series by Veronica Roth, The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Cain

I need more books to read though. I mainly like dystopian and fantasy fiction (if thats not already obvious) and Ive read too many to really find them at the library because they are all the same books unless I put them on hold.

Happy Book Reading To All!

Vernikova

Champion
Read the classics and work your way down. Since you like dystopian so much, start with Orwell.

AnakBaé

Nice thread! Here are few of my favorite books and recommendation (genre varies):

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
If you enjoy reading thought provoking ideas regarding an "idealized society" (in contrast to Orwell's iron fist ruled society) this is the book for you. It's about a future world where human is being made according to their desired role on society. One of my all time favs (I've read it around 20 times already).

Life of Pi by Yann Martell.
A heartwarming tale of friendship between a boy and a tiger. Coming up with a brief explanation without giving spoilers is hard, so I wont bother.

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick.
If you ever have a slight curiosity regarding our beloved North Korea and its unique, Orwellian-like way of governing, then this book is one of the must read books to satisfy that hunger. It tells the stories of NK fugitives and survivors based on interviews; giving vivid details and visualization regarding the settings of the story.

What the Buddha Taught by Richard Gombrich and Walpola Rahula.
First of all, I am not advertising a religion here. This book gives the readers insights about what we don't know about Buddhism and how it is often misunderstood. It contains vast amount of philosophical ideas (it also taught me the actual ways to meditate.) Read it with open mind, and this will make you realize that Buddhism is not a religion; its a philosophy. One of the books that actually changed my life.

The Faults in Our Stars John Green.
They kept telling me how this book will make me cry, but sadly it failed to do so. Regardless, it's still relatively inspirational and well written. It tells the story of a female teenager who is fighting against Thyroid Cancer while struggling to live a normal life. A well written book about love and fear of death.

A Child Called "it" by Dave Pelzer.
The story of a kid named Dave (the author), who is being tortured by her mother. You will feel the pain, the frustration, anger, sadness, and jealousy. Simply terrorizing and a page-turning book. Recommending it!!!

The Book Thief Markus Zusak.
It tells the story of book-obsessing young girl named Liesel Meminger who lives in the era of World War II. It portrays friendship, hope, mischievous, selflessness, gratitude, and some key roles of parenting.

I will add more once I encountered some more good books.
I also need recommendation on horror or thriller books if anyone has one :]

Last edited:

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
I also need recommendation on horror or thriller books if anyone has one :]

Stephen King books are amazing, and usually classified as one or the other.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
I like the Artemis Fowl series, the Ranger's Apprentice series, the Alex Rider series (but these are from when I was younger), The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner, and others similar. I want to read something teen-level that doesn't involve certain themes (or at least not any more than Divergent had), but it is very hard nowadays to separate the books that are in the teen section because they are good books with a good reading level and all and the books that are in the teen section because they have themes and have the reading level of a 2nd grader.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
gonna move this to entertainment, but to contribute: pretty much anything by nevil shute. particularly on the beach and trustee from the toolroom

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
If you're a fan of fantasy, I would definitely recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.
The books follow the main character, Kvothe, as he tells the story of his life, with poetry, music, in-universe lore, and magic scattered throughout. The main system of magic, sympathy, is beautifully explained, to the point where it seems that it would work in our world. Within the first two books, there are plenty of hints as to things that will happen later, and it's so much fun to reread the first book, the Name of the Wind, to find the hints for the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, or to read the second for hints of the upcoming third. My description certainly isn't doing the series justice, but it's definitely worth a read.

Firebrand

Indomitable
If you're a fan of fantasy, I would definitely recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.
The books follow the main character, Kvothe, as he tells the story of his life, with poetry, music, in-universe lore, and magic scattered throughout. The main system of magic, sympathy, is beautifully explained, to the point where it seems that it would work in our world. Within the first two books, there are plenty of hints as to things that will happen later, and it's so much fun to reread the first book, the Name of the Wind, to find the hints for the second book, The Wise Man's Fear, or to read the second for hints of the upcoming third. My description certainly isn't doing the series justice, but it's definitely worth a read.

Ugh, Kvothe is such a Mary Sue. I loved the writing style and the prose is fantastic, but good god I can't stand his character.

As far as recs for fantasy go, I've been big into the Gentleman Bastards the past couple months, starting with Lies of Locke Lamora. It's basically Ocean's 11 in fantasy counterpart 13th century Venice. Also worth note is anything by Brandon Sanderson, though I think Mistborn is probably the best place to start. His books are doorstopper big, but they've got amazing characters and all of his magic systems are incredibly deep and well-thought out.

Outside the fantasy realm, if you're looking for dystopia, Margaret Atwood's Madd Addam trilogy might be worth a look. That one starts with Oryx and Crake. I also would be remiss without a plug for David Mitchell, who is in my opinion one of, if not the most, brilliant writers around today. Start with Cloud Atlas or Ghost Written and work your way through his body of work from there. Notable because he is subtly composing a massive uber-novel that, while all of his books can stand alone as their own entity, if you've read more than two or so you can see all the little nods he puts in throughout to others. None of them are direct sequels and all are great on their own, but I would argue that Ghost Written, Cloud Atlas and Bone Clocks compose a veeeery loose trilogy, with Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet as a loose companion to Bone Clocks. Number9Dream and Black Swan Green are notable outliers in how little they reference the other works of the canon, though Black Swan Green does get looped in with Bone Clocks.

Actually, Brandon Sanderson is doing something similar with his books, in that each world the stories take place in is separate from the others and stands alone, but they are all part of a larger Cosmere. That's not really all that evident though, unless you read Way of Kings and Elantris.

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
I agree with these people whose posts I corrected.
So kind of you to correct the posts :p except for the fact that for some reason I hate him. I cant put a reason to it but Ive read 3 books and hated them all. I guess they just are not for everyone.

Ugh, Kvothe is such a Mary Sue. I loved the writing style and the prose is fantastic, but good god I can't stand his character.

As far as recs for fantasy go, I've been big into the Gentleman Bastards the past couple months, starting with Lies of Locke Lamora. It's basically Ocean's 11 in fantasy counterpart 13th century Venice. Also worth note is anything by Brandon Sanderson, though I think Mistborn is probably the best place to start. His books are doorstopper big, but they've got amazing characters and all of his magic systems are incredibly deep and well-thought out.

Outside the fantasy realm, if you're looking for dystopia, Margaret Atwood's Madd Addam trilogy might be worth a look. That one starts with Oryx and Crake. I also would be remiss without a plug for David Mitchell, who is in my opinion one of, if not the most, brilliant writers around today. Start with Cloud Atlas or Ghost Written and work your way through his body of work from there. Notable because he is subtly composing a massive uber-novel that, while all of his books can stand alone as their own entity, if you've read more than two or so you can see all the little nods he puts in throughout to others. None of them are direct sequels and all are great on their own, but I would argue that Ghost Written, Cloud Atlas and Bone Clocks compose a veeeery loose trilogy, with Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet as a loose companion to Bone Clocks. Number9Dream and Black Swan Green are notable outliers in how little they reference the other works of the canon, though Black Swan Green does get looped in with Bone Clocks.

Actually, Brandon Sanderson is doing something similar with his books, in that each world the stories take place in is separate from the others and stands alone, but they are all part of a larger Cosmere. That's not really all that evident though, unless you read Way of Kings and Elantris.

Whats fun is one another site, Mistborn was also recommended to me :D So its a definite read, and Ill take a look at the rest of those :)

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
If you like Steampunk (and even if you don't), check out the Leviathan Trilogy. These books were amazing, I'm sad that there were only 3 of them.

And in the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genre, Michael Vey, hands down. There are 4 books out so far, and a confirmed series length of 7 books, already it may be the best series I have ever read. I may have to re-purchase the first 2 so I can have them all in hardcover on my shelf.

And finally I will recommend the Lorien Legacies. Yes the movie was bad...and so was book 1...on which the movie was based. But when things got awesome in book 2 it made up for it many times over. The last book in the series will be released next year and I am eagerly awaiting it.

And those were just my recommendations from the YA category, I would need a lot of time were I to expand it to more than that XD

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
I know Vonnegut has already been mentioned in this thread, but I just had to recommend "cats cradle". There's a very good chance that cats cradle is the best novel I've ever read.

The very hungry caterpillar. I haven't finished it yet, but it's getting so good.

More seriously, I really liked Treatise on The Gods. I've been getting into Menchken a lot as an author. He's a bit of a tough cookie to crack at first because his work is all dated and written in ridiculously flowery language, but if you can get through it he's really rewarding. The Demon Haunted World and Mismeasure of Man are also big favorites. The former is Carl Sagan writing about the dangers of superstition in an age where we're increasingly relying on science and technology to sustain civilization, and the latter is a comprehensive take down of "scientific" racism and people that lap up the crap written in The Bell Curve. I mainly consume political/social stuff and anything that sheds light on pseudo science and general quackery. Recently though, I've taken a liking to Terry Pratchett and P.G. Wodehouse for all my fiction needs.

Last edited:

Chili

I recommend an older book called Fahrenheit 451. It's about a man named Guy Montag who lives in a society where books are banned. He one day meets a girl who begins to make his mind think differently...