• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Books

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I've always been a great fan of reading and I'm sure many of you love books as well. So here's where you can discuss anything to do with books, be it your favourite novels, your favourite authors, what genres you like the most, what you're reading right now or what you intend to get your hands on, anything goes really.
As for me, I managed to extract a volume of "Sherlock Holmes - The Complete Illustrated Novels" from a dusty cupboard a few days ago and I'm currently reading "The Sign of Four". The stories are brilliantly written and quite amazing, even though the thing's been written almost 125 years ago. I like most suspense/mystery (Agatha Christie) and fantasy themed books along with some comics (Asterix and Tintin are pure epicness). Anyone read Saki? Probably the most humorous stories ever written imo. The William series by Richmal Crompton is pretty awesome, too.

Profesco

gone gently
Ah, Sherlock Holmes! The first Holmes story I'd ever read was Hound of the Baskervilles, way back in early high school, and it got me interested. A few months ago, I finally dug out a complete collection of Doyle's Holmes stories (among two different books from the local library) and read them all. It's so exciting!

I too like mystery and suspense novels; thrillers, often with a sci-fi bent to them. That's why I read everything by Dean Koontz. I've also read a lot of Stephen King, and I like some of it, but somehow he bores me more often than Koontz does. I've gotten disapproving looks for that, heh. Maybe it's just because I was fully into Koontz before I ever cared about King. ^_^;

I want to go get King's new one, Under the Dome I think it's called. Apparently, it's as long as The Stand or longer.

The most recent series I've been looking into is the The Cat Who mysteries. They're... alright, really. I'm disturbed by the near-constant focus on Qwilleran's moustache. =/

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Coincidentally, one of my first Holmes stories was Hound of the Baskervilles. I don't remember exactly but my first was either The Speckled Band or Scandal in Bohemia. I'd read a few haphazardly before but it's only now that I think I'll read 'em all.

If you like sci-fi, have you tried Asimov, I was reading the Foundation series and Caves of Steel and it's quite good. Perhaps Doctor Who as well? I've got a bunch of Stephen King's books but I've never really got down to reading most of them. Lisey's Story bored me but since they're supposed to be very good, I guess I'll give them a shot now. Dead Zone or Everything Eventual maybe. Oh, and though strictly not sci-fi, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the subsequent books by Douglas Adams are awesome.

Profesco

gone gently
There are a lot of authors and series out there that I've yet to look at. We had another "Books" thread a while ago, where people traded recommendations, but I haven't even gotten to everything listed in that thread yet. @_@

Mm, Lisey's Story never looked good to me. I'm not so fond of the softy/romantic sort of stories that King sometimes writes, and that's what Lisey's Story sounded like from the jacket summary. *shrugs*

I still want to get around to checking out the His Dark Materials trilogy, now that I think about it. Fantasy is nice sometimes. I just finished a trilogy about vampires/werewolves/fairies/hunters that ended up being like Twilight in a different skin. I was very displeased at having read it.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Yeah, Lisey's Story was quite disappointing, I don't really like the heavily-based on romance type of stories too much. I'm planning to get the Bartimaeus Trilogy now, heard it's quite good. Twilight's gonna be staying away from me, not my taste by far.

Tales Fanatic777

Cold as Ice
recently I started re-reading "The Compllete Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" GREAT works imo.... and I have also started reading more classic novels such as "The Count of Monte Christo" and Bram Stoker's classic, "Dracula" I am into suspense and comedy (yeah.... like fire and water...) so different