• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Boss Rush Mode Discussion Thread (Ex. Gym Leader Castle or World Tournament)

What is your favorite "Boss Rush" format

• Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2's Gym Leader Castle

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pokemon Black and White 2's World Tournament

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
In Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2, one of the best and most challenging modes was the Gym Leader Castle. Gym Leader Castle in Pokemon Stadium 2 was my favorite boasting gyms with great design and architecture and had entrance ways that connected each and every gym that sported it's own unique style. This was at the time, Gen 1 and Gen 2's World Tournament where you can battle every Gym Leader who each had a full team of six Pokemon. Once you've beaten the Gym Leaders, you can battle the Elite Four and the Pokemon Champion himself. In Pokemon Stadium 2, you could battle ALL 16 Gym Leaders of Johto and Kanto, Team Rocket, your rival Silver, and Red himself from the first game. Once you've beaten Gym Leader Castle the first time, you can challenge a much harder Gym Leader Castle the second time in both games.

In Pokemon Black and White 2, one of the surprising things about the game was how insanely high the quality standard went. One of the beloved modes of BW2 was World Tournament. The World Tournament is BW2's boss rush mode featured Gym Leaders and Champions from all five regions at the time. I don't think anyone was expecting a boss rush mode similar to Gym Leader Castle to appear in a main series game or the fact that it featured all Gym Leaders from all five regions at the time to make an appearance with a full team of six Pokemon. This was a huge deal back than, still is actually, and some people even consider this simple competition mode superior to Emerald's Battle Frontier and it's not actually hard to see why.

In Pokemon Switch,I think it's safe to say, unless someone prove me wrong right here and right now, that all Pokemon fans want a challenging Boss Rush mode featuring either the new or old Gym Leaders or perhaps old returning Characters like Colress or Anabel for Pokemon Switch unless you don't care. Other than not caring, I really can't see any Pokemon fan be against wanting GameFreak to pursue a Boss Rush mode.
  • So how would you want Boss Rush mode handled? Beat boss after boss in a linear fashion like Gym Leader Castle? Or in a tournament-style mode like World Tournament?
  • Do you want it to be quick and easy-to-access on the menu as it's own separate location like Pokemon Stadium's Gym Leader Castle or part of the region like Black and White 2's World Tournament. Or heck, why not both like Pokemon Colosseum did with Mt. Battle?
  • Do you want to see just Gym Leaders or do you want to see past characters make a return like Colress or Anabel.
  • Do you want each and every character to have there own dedicated Stadium like the Gym Leaders of Pokemon Stadium 2.
NOTE: This is a re-posted thread. Many many threads in the Pokemon Let's Go section were aimed at Generation 8 but due to some confusions and the unexpected Let's Go titles, many detailed 8th gen threads have been "lost" there, not sure if that's the proper word. Anyways, I'm going to delete the old threads in the Let's Go section in a week so if you have some arguments or ideas you want people to hear out, hurry up and copy and paste them.

Cerex

The omissions of Elite Four members but the inclusion of Champions, with no explanation as to why that was case, was very confusing to me in B/W2. I think a bringing back the World Tournament with all past Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, Frontier Brains, and special NPCs, such a rivals, the stat trainers, and other side-quest related players would be a lot of fun. It's established within the game canon that Gym Leader limit their Pokemon to the amount of other gyms you have defeated, so players always speculate about what X gym leader's full team would be if they had the chance to battle them. It's also fun to get a quick update on dialog about what they have been up to.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Bring back the PWT and fans will stop complaining about the PG problem.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
There of course should be a boss rush facility. The main problem with pokemon's post game isn't that there isn't any it's that it's unsatisfying. Why play through X and Y's Postgame when other then a side story and some collectables you get nothing truly satisfying to do? I'd argue for most people it's gotten a bit stale.

Gathering legendary Pokemon? They give them out for free every year.

Grind to level 100 depending on the game it's almost impossible to do so.

Collecting items? It can be short-term satisfying but I never found any of them particularly good.

I feel that BW2 had a solid post game because even besides the Pokemon usual stuff you still have a bunch to do. The PWT worked not only as something satisfying to play but as a boss rush because you had some nostalgia attached to characters in a region that didn't have a lot to deal with them.

Imo to make an even better boss rush combine it with aspects of the Battle Tree and PWT. After you defeat the gym leader you can recruit them for battle. It makes it a bit more fun and exciting that way.

Or there could be a facility in which you battle every gym leader without break and if you win you get a special rare item. I'd love to see them explore it.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Honestly I not only think Black and White 2's post-game is better than Gold and Silver's, I thought it was freaking addicting battling those gym leaders repeatedly.

PWT was addictive man if they bring that back in 3D I’m going to play that game for years.

BW2 has so much replayablility. PWT felt like it’s own mini storyline DLC.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Honestly I not only think Black and White 2's post-game is better than Gold and Silver's, I thought it was freaking addicting battling those gym leaders repeatedly.

I agree.
There of course should be a boss rush facility. The main problem with pokemon's post game isn't that there isn't any it's that it's unsatisfying. Why play through X and Y's Postgame when other then a side story and some collectables you get nothing truly satisfying to do? I'd argue for most people it's gotten a bit stale.

Gathering legendary Pokemon? They give them out for free every year.

Grind to level 100 depending on the game it's almost impossible to do so.

Collecting items? It can be short-term satisfying but I never found any of them particularly good.

I feel that BW2 had a solid post game because even besides the Pokemon usual stuff you still have a bunch to do. The PWT worked not only as something satisfying to play but as a boss rush because you had some nostalgia attached to characters in a region that didn't have a lot to deal with them.

Imo to make an even better boss rush combine it with aspects of the Battle Tree and PWT. After you defeat the gym leader you can recruit them for battle. It makes it a bit more fun and exciting that way.

Or there could be a facility in which you battle every gym leader without break and if you win you get a special rare item. I'd love to see them explore it.

I think a linear fashion may get boring, so combining aspects of the PWT or tossing it up will make it interesting. One of the best things about the PWT was the variety of ways in which you could battle gym leaders + the fact that you took different ones on each time.