• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brave The Wave! (296)

Profesco

gone gently
"Prepare for trouble, do you want fries with that?"
"Double the delish with half the fat!"
"To protect the world from unhealthy food."
"To give great service and never be rude."
"To denounce the evils of high carbohydrates."
"To extend our reach to the Earth and its primates."

Another excellent twist on the motto. In particular, the way James says "primates" just cracks me up. And the fact that they tried to do it again later in the ep but Meowth interrupted them with some amusing use of the various forms and meanings of the word "get" was also pretty nice.

I guess this was Ash's first chance to get serious about his power. He came to Hoenn and started out sort of as a big shot, and it couldn't have helped having May and Max both look up to him for being well-traveled and a League contender, respectively. We know Ash has had problems in the past with overconfidence, so I suppose seeing it brought to a head and dealt with isn't really a bad thing as far as episodes go. Treecko also shone in the battle, very impressive determination and - there's no other word for it - endurance. Good stuff, altogether.

Vernikova

Champion
Oh Ash, I love it when you become out-of-character and proceed to get stomped by whoever you face at that time. It was off-setting hearing Brawly talk like a stereotypical surfer dude but that's what 4Kids does (or at least used to do). Still, I don't know how I feel about Treeko immediately forgiving ash for pushing it beyond its limitations. It would've been more interesting than the number of average episodes between this and the next gym battle.

7threst

This episode was really well-done. I loved Brawly was a stereotype of the average surfer-"dude". I think Ash learned a lot from this episode - learning not to underestimate someone and also not being super-confident as he was. Ash lost to Whitney due to inexperience and wrong tactics, but this episode was that too+ the aforementioned things he learned.

First of all, Team Rocket was awesome in this episode! It was also cool to see Makuhita surfing. Treecko was very impressive in this battle too, he showed willpower and endurance. It was also good to see Ash lose, a character that always wins is unrealistic. 9/10, great episode.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
This episode was pretty unbearable for me. Ash really annoyed me in this episode, SO glad he lost.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
This episode was pretty unbearable for me. Ash really annoyed me in this episode, SO glad he lost.

Yes because God forbids that if a challenger asks a gymleader for a badge, he/she must go surf first instead of doing it afterwards.:rolleyes:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
"Prepare for trouble, do you want fries with that?"
"Double the delish with half the fat!"
"To protect the world from unhealthy food."
"To give great service and never be rude."
"To denounce the evils of high carbohydrates."
"To extend our reach to the Earth and its primates."

Lol, I re-watched this episode the other day and I actually laughed out loud at their motto. Sometimes I forget how funny Team Rocket used to be in the dub; I often give them a hard time, but it's nice to remember how quirky they were and how enjoyable their dialogue was as well.

Anyway, I remember being really upset about Ash's attitude at the end of the episode years ago, but I've sort of gotten over that. In retrospect I thought it was actually very interesting because in real life, I would expect a 10-year-old kid to react like that after losing. I guess I just miss the days when Ash showed passion. :p

Team Rocket was beyond hilarious in this episode and I liked how the dub changed up their dialogue. Additionally, Brock's comment about Chuck and the Cianwood City Gym as "Ewww....yeesh!" was pretty funny, too.

That being said, Ash was a complete jerk in this episode, Brawly's "surfer speak" that the dub added was just plain annoying...it's one of the worst episodes in AG, or arguably even in the series. I was happy he lost, which is pretty messed up, but Ash had it coming.

The dub didn't do its best to compensate for the otherwise awful writing of this episode, so combine the two and you get one of the worst episodes ever. :(

Rating: 65/100

Last edited:

ashiemore

It's refreshing to see something other than a classic gym battle. Of course, he still follows the rule of one-gym-battle-loss-per-region.

This is what I missed seeing in the show. Ash actually losing the first time he battles a gym leader.
It's boring and unrealistic if he just sweeps every gym he comes to.

Didn't like how just up and yells at Max, May and Brock as if it was their fault he lost.

Gillachu

Banned
Lol at Ash losing and him giving his friends an attitude about it. He wasn't such a sore loser in OS, so what changed...?

JudySpell

Banned
In truth Ash was being over confident here so his loss did him a favor. Brawly's surfer voice was gnarly and I liked how Dewford Town looked. 8/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hee hee, I liked Brawly's surfer attitude and how his Makuhita could surf as well. Taillow losing against Machop was unfortunate, plus Treecko's fate was sealed when Makuhita evolved which seemed unfair. :[

Leonhart

Imagineer
This was a really good episode. I liked it when Satoshi's friends first went over to the Muro Gym, and I especially enjoyed the part when Touki was surfing with Makunoshita. I also liked the Rocket-dan's improvised motto at the restaurant. As for the Gym battle, I really wanted Satoshi to win, but when Makunoshita evolved I knew he wouldn't have much of a chance. Kimori was still really good though, although if he had evolved too he might've won.

Zamin

I liked the episode. Ash really should have thought about having a strategy. The evolution didn't help his cause either. Ash was waay over-confident

Ash's battle plan was shaky, so I can see why he lost. He needed a lot of luck to win once Makuhita evolved, so him losing was inevitable. :(

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I didn't like Ash in this episode, because his insistence that he had to have a battle with Brawly ruined this episode and he was acting too obsessive about winning. Brawly is one of my favorite gym leaders especially since he's not the norm.

ZilverLox

Banned
It was interesting seeing Ash so angry with his strategy failing. Last I remember seeing him doubt his strategy to that degree was in the Surge episode. Although I didn't think he was 'forcing' Treecko to fight--it didn't really give an indication that it didn't want to. Yes, it was getting the crap beat out of it, but that's how Treecko fights.