• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy / For The Sequel

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
The second half of this game blows, like really bad.
Did they run out of ideas at this point? No one finds that fun, it's repetitive.

I found it fun, it was actually the better point of the game for me, or, well, at least better than the enormous fetch Quest called Chapter 3.

If we're all talking about strategies here, why isn't anyone talking about the Stillness / Hasten World combo? (although I seen someone mentioned it) It's wrecked everything in the game without effort (with the exception of Rusalka and the fish ba'al).

Unless no one is talking about it because it's cheap. That very well might be the case.
Cuz you can set it up, put it on auto, and then set it down, go do something else, and come back later and the boss is dead. Although that kinda ruined the later chapters in a way...

That's pretty much just the reason, it's cheap, has been figured out, and has been discussed, not much else to go over it, really.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Second half of the game was bad.
Well fighting the temple bosses 4 times was the worst of it, this only needs to repeated once. Why would you pad it out so much? The rest of the game was awesome though especially the final boss despite it being long.

ForeverFlame

The second half of this game blows, like really bad.
Did they run out of ideas at this point? No one finds that fun, it's repetitive.

It's a really cool idea implemented very poorly.

It would've been better if they ended the game after Chapter 4 with the false ending, had a New Game+ option with
all of the differences from Chapters 5-7, and ended the New Game+ run with the true final boss.

It would've been awesome to play the game again with all of the subtle differences, especially if you don't realize it's not going to be a typical New Game+. Having that material in Chapters 5-8 just ruins it.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Having played through chapters 1-5, and somewhere in the middle of 6, I can say that Chapters 5 and so far 6 have been quite tedious and have not really been implemented to full potential. I am going to try and storm through the game in the coming weeks, and then maybe try out New Game + mode to see what it is like, however I am going to go through Twilight Princess first!

Aurath8

I'm glad to hear the game picks up in the later Chapters. Ch5 was alright overall, but quite a few bosses didn't bring any new backstory to the table, like The Jackal, (who is still the same in Chapter 6). It filled me with despair to see all those exclamation marks when I entered the World Map but as it was the first world repeat I hung onto every little difference I could find.

Ch6 is already far better, and I haven't even gotten round to beating a temple boss yet. The changes that could be found in Caldisla plus getting the Chest Key and all of that dungeon loot alone are just as substantial as all of Chapter 5's little changes.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm glad to hear the game picks up in the later Chapters. Ch5 was alright overall, but quite a few bosses didn't bring any new backstory to the table, like The Jackal, (who is still the same in Chapter 6). It filled me with despair to see all those exclamation marks when I entered the World Map but as it was the first world repeat I hung onto every little difference I could find.

Oh, definitely. What they pulled for the later chapters was obnoxious, but the way I see it, they should have either done only Chapter 5 and not the rest, or just cut out Chapter 5 completely since it's boring when compared to later Chapters. While you will get sick of it plotwise, they have some incredibly interesting boss fights later on that put a very interesting twist on combat. If I was less fed up with the last few extra fights and didn't want to simply finish the game, I would have actually tried to beat them fairly instead of resorting to breaking the game with Utsusemi + High Jump + Hasten World. That said, I didn't resort to any of that for the final chapter fights.

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
I take it general consensus is that chapters 5-6 are the more...stale ones, I presume? Having played this game myself, I would have to agree...

Though, it used to be MUCH worse. Apparently, the first version of this game that originally came out in Japan didn't have those special group boss battles and characterization found in chapters 7-8; they used to be even MORE exactly like chapters 5-6.

Still, they could have made those two chapters more interesting, as well...Oh well. It does work from a story-telling perspective, though, but they could have handled it better...Or maybe, the redundancy was the whole point all along, so players would get sick of doing as Airy told them and break the crystals, both because of...well, hints that what you've been doing is wrong, but ALSO because, by this point, it's really, really boring? Personally, the redundancy only fueled my feeling of dread, that something bad was gonna happen, but being unsure of WHEN...because of how redundant it had been...Either that, or they just though it would save on designing backrounds. Either or. (though, now that they've experimented with the idea, they aren't likely to re-use it in the sequel. Maybe.

Tl:dr, it's purposefully redundant to express feelings of questioning what is right to the player, and to encourage going against monotony. I think.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I take it general consensus is that chapters 5-6 are the more...stale ones, I presume? Having played this game myself, I would have to agree...

Though, it used to be MUCH worse. Apparently, the first version of this game that originally came out in Japan didn't have those special group boss battles and characterization found in chapters 7-8; they used to be even MORE exactly like chapters 5-6.

Still, they could have made those two chapters more interesting, as well...Oh well. It does work from a story-telling perspective, though, but they could have handled it better...Or maybe, the redundancy was the whole point all along, so players would get sick of doing as Airy told them and break the crystals, both because of...well, hints that what you've been doing is wrong, but ALSO because, by this point, it's really, really boring? Personally, the redundancy only fueled my feeling of dread, that something bad was gonna happen, but being unsure of WHEN...because of how redundant it had been...Either that, or they just though it would save on designing backrounds. Either or. (though, now that they've experimented with the idea, they aren't likely to re-use it in the sequel. Maybe.

Tl:dr, it's purposefully redundant to express feelings of questioning what is right to the player, and to encourage going against monotony. I think.

I still can't seem to find anything that actually confirms that, people just say it about but then there's also people who say it didn't change up boss battles to For The Sequel.

I really never found the game boring, to be honest, but it was designed in a way for the player to break the final Chapter 6 Crystal, at least.

Wot.
"Having the courage to disobey"
I'm not really sure what you interpreted it as and explained it as, but I simply saw it as hinting that breaking a Crystal is what must be disobeyed, seeing how the entire world basically drives them to break one.

Oh, yeah, right.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/23/bravely-second-shows-magnolia-different-job-forms-look-agnes/

So, Magnolia gets some Job Outfits, and Agnès gets shown in a new outfit. A few plot points, showing Agnès signing the Luxendarc peace treaty as a prisoner, but not much else.

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
I still can't seem to find anything that actually confirms that, people just say it about but then there's also people who say it didn't change up boss battles to For The Sequel.

I really never found the game boring, to be honest, but it was designed in a way for the player to break the final Chapter 6 Crystal, at least.

Wot.
"Having the courage to disobey"
I'm not really sure what you interpreted it as and explained it as, but I simply saw it as hinting that breaking a Crystal is what must be disobeyed, seeing how the entire world basically drives them to break one.

Clarification on what I meant:
I guess what I was trying to say was..that by chapter 6, it becomes apparent to some people that they might be in this for the long haul. Thus, They may end up ending the game prematurely, not just because of the hints that puryfing the crystals might be a BAD idea, but also because they may think the rest of the game would just be the same thing, over and over again, otherwise. Of course, the game's best ending is earned not just from having the courage to do nothing (being "Bravely Default", as it were,) but also sticking with it, DESPITE monotonous gameplay by that point. If that makes any sense.

Also, new Bravely Second News? Sweet. Maybe this time it won't take an entire year to get the game stateside...

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Clarification on what I meant:
I guess what I was trying to say was..that by chapter 6, it becomes apparent to some people that they might be in this for the long haul. Thus, They may end up ending the game prematurely, not just because of the hints that puryfing the crystals might be a BAD idea, but also because they may think the rest of the game would just be the same thing, over and over again, otherwise. Of course, the game's best ending is earned not just from having the courage to do nothing (being "Bravely Default", as it were,) but also sticking with it, DESPITE monotonous gameplay by that point. If that makes any sense.

Also, new Bravely Second News? Sweet. Maybe this time it won't take an entire year to get the game stateside...

Yeah, though I get what you're saying, the thing is I really don't sympathise with those people since I found little to no monotony in the latter Chapters, and he ones that were I found enjoyable, as was with the rest of the game :/

Meh, it probably won't, as BD was not originally planned for a global release, whereas BS is likely it will.

Myrrh

Having been spoiled relatively hard while i was in chapter 3 (I'm in chapter 6 now) I'd like to ask a small question i became curious about.

Does the game at some point tell the player that over-charging a crystal might be an option to advance the story or is it a sort of "lol let's see if i can actually ignore the warnings and keep charging it" kind of thing? I had learned that this is possible while glancing through a guide, though this isn't what spoiled me. I already played through the "finale" earlier tonight, i just wanted to know if the method of getting there is specifically mentioned.

Sable-Xeno

Almighty Idiot
Having been spoiled relatively hard while i was in chapter 3 (I'm in chapter 6 now) I'd like to ask a small question i became curious about.

Does the game at some point tell the player that over-charging a crystal might be an option to advance the story or is it a sort of "lol let's see if i can actually ignore the warnings and keep charging it" kind of thing? I had learned that this is possible while glancing through a guide, though this isn't what spoiled me. I already played through the "finale" earlier tonight, i just wanted to know if the method of getting there is specifically mentioned.

Well, it's never EXPLICITLY stated, but it's pretty much rubbed in your face throughout chapters 5-8. It's like "you CAN disobey Airy, you know", and Airy DOES say overcharging the crystals will break them...the game expects you to do the math, honestly.

Aurath8

I first played this game on Christmas Eve last year. Though I was slowed down by exams and 3 Wii U games, a full 8 months later and I'm still in Chapter 6. With Smash 3DS/Wii U and ORAS on the horizon I wonder if I'll ever finish this game.
The only game with a big single player campaign that I've spent this much time on is Fire Emblem: Awakening...which I played through twice between April and December.

Keysmash

buys meat
I first played this game on Christmas Eve last year. Though I was slowed down by exams and 3 Wii U games, a full 8 months later and I'm still in Chapter 6. With Smash 3DS/Wii U and ORAS on the horizon I wonder if I'll ever finish this game.
The only game with a big single player campaign that I've spent this much time on is Fire Emblem: Awakening...which I played through twice between April and December.

If you haven't been spoiled at this point, I'd say that you're not missing much gameplay-wise if you stop now. Really.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
If you haven't been spoiled at this point, I'd say that you're not missing much gameplay-wise if you stop now. Really.

I don't know, I'd say gameplay is where the later chapters improve with those impressive boss fights, at least with the difficulty in the optional fights. It's plot progression where the game falters during the later chapters up until the final one.

Keysmash

buys meat
I don't know, I'd say gameplay is where the later chapters improve with those impressive boss fights, at least with the difficulty in the optional fights. It's plot progression where the game falters during the later chapters up until the final one.

Tedium takes its toll, though, but you are right; if you do get past those few chapters (*coughgoodluckcough*) you'll be met with some pretty good challenges.

Imho, though, even the final chapter was a bit lackluster,
because it's more or less clear Airy was all kinds of backstabbing from the first world loop or so on
. At least the boss' design was neat, as well as the music.

KillerDraco

Tedium takes its toll, though, but you are right; if you do get past those few chapters (*coughgoodluckcough*) you'll be met with some pretty good challenges.

Imho, though, even the final chapter was a bit lackluster,
because it's more or less clear Airy was all kinds of backstabbing from the first world loop or so on
. At least the boss' design was neat, as well as the music.

And at least
De Rosso was badass as hell and went out in an epic fashion.

As tedious as Chapters 5-8 are, I will say that there is some decent character development/backstory dialogue in some of the chapters, such as 7 and 8. Does it make up for the tedious, repetitive chapters? Not at all. But it's at least SOMETHING to justify those chapters.

...Those chapters may be alright from a storytelling perspective but in terms of gameplay? Nnnnnnope.

Keysmash

buys meat
Just hope Bravely Second wont have that tedious second-half.

Again, unlikely. It's almost universally agreed that those WLs were the bane of every BD player's existence.

Though, I'm not sure how the devs would be able to drag out the game that long otherwise, while keeping it interesting.