• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Brawl! Battle Royal 151!! (1072)

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
So they really rocking this second opening all throughout the rest of the series? That's pathetic. (I'm assuming there won't be a follow-up arc after this series, especially since we had one back to back with BW and XY, which was a first for the series, just before S&M.) A new ending, though? W.o.w.

So, I think I liked this battle royale concept after seeing it in action. Reminded me of the Tournament of Power in Dragon Ball Super also, even though that was a team based battle royale. Anyway, teamwork between friends (even in a everyone for themselves styled battle royale) was natural, and some of the interactions between certain people was cool. Although, only the obvious people teamed up with each other, with no unique ones or surprises. The pink/yellow haired girl lost very abruptly, though. She had Llima on the ropes but then lost to just one attack from it (in its injured state). Even if she had taken damage up to that point, which is not known, to be defeated like that just didn't look right. Both Ash and Pikachu not realizing that Mimikyu belongs to Jessie and that she was in disguise is BS. They've worked out disguises before, and this particular one should have been no different. They've battled that Mimkyu so many times. Yet, Ash and co. can remember other people's Pokemon instantly on sight when they're far less familiar with it. Yeah, I can't give no leeway here; there was enough interaction between the two for it to be obvious. Even James (in disguise) and his Hidiode was there next to her in visual site.

Animation still hasn't shown any noteworthy improvements, but I'll wait till the 1v1 battles before any rants.

Hau has a Raichu (reminds me of Tierno's).... Whelp, here we go again, even though Pikachu had a form of rivalry with that one woman's during some contest earlier in the season. I laughed my ass off when I saw Jessie and James get paired up against each other. In contrast, I was sad when Gladio and Lillie got paired up :\. Llima vs Guzma (and Mallow vs Suiren because of their close friendship and all) ought to be real interesting. (It should go Gladio, Suiren, and Guzma, if the story is anything to go by.) Yep, officially no return of Dia, as expected.

Hold up, I almost missed this... There's a Pikachu named Boruto, and it has the same hair-style as the Baruto from Naruto. What in the hell is going on there?? It's obviously a reference, but I want to know why this happened...

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So they really rocking this second opening all throughout the rest of the series? That's pathetic.
...Kimi no Bouken is the fourth opening of Sun & Moon and *of course* they're not gonna throw in a new opening so late in the series' run. It's had about as many episodes as the first OP did, anyway. Though said first OP was admittedly replaced and then brought back in about four months later, so Kimi no Bouken being used consistently for the series's final year is the longest *continuous* use of an OP in Sun & Moon...

But still by no means an anomaly in the franchise as a whole. Getting a new opening per year seems... fairly standard?

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
...Kimi no Bouken is the fourth opening of Sun & Moon and *of course* they're not gonna throw in a new opening so late in the series' run. It's had about as many episodes as the first OP did, anyway. Though said first OP was admittedly replaced and then brought back in about four months later, so Kimi no Bouken being used consistently for the series's final year is the longest *continuous* use of an OP in Sun & Moon...

But still by no means an anomaly in the franchise as a whole. Getting a new opening per year seems... fairly standard?

I'm clearly referring to the amount of brand new openings, and i'm not going to count an "anniversary" one (which XY also did), especially when it's super short-term. Actually, I was wrong, there's been 3 fully unique ones. Not sure how I forgot about one of them. If it was only two, that'd be utterly terrible. That said, the current third one has gotten old still, having exceeded the other openings in presence and all, as you said.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This episode wasn't at all as bad as many viewers of the original implied to me that it would be. The actual battling during most of the episode was pretty much what I expected from this episode and I found the total chaos of an all-out melee to be pretty enjoyable and at times funny to watch, like the Magikarp v Pyukumuku

What I did find stupid though (plotwise) was that the 16 finalists are all pretty much our 16 mainest of the main characters. To have this episode have more of an impact they should have had at least one surprise loss. I wish Plumeria had beaten Ilima

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
See, had they gone the overt reference route and flat-out called him Boruto, that might have landed them in some hot water because outside of Japan that name would be 100% associated solely with the protagonist of the manga by the same name and nothing else... But "Bolt" is general enough that I rather doubt the existence of a Disney movie by that name (or whatever other reasons you might have for thinking it would be problematic) would actually cause any issues at all.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
See, had they gone the overt reference route and flat-out called him Boruto, that might have landed them in some hot water because outside of Japan that name would be 100% associated solely with the protagonist of the manga by the same name and nothing else... But "Bolt" is general enough that I rather doubt the existence of a Disney movie by that name (or whatever other reasons you might have for thinking it would be problematic) would actually cause any issues at all.
Eh. Disney doesn't have a monopoly over all the synonyms for electricity, so it's fine.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
This episode wasn't at all as bad as many viewers of the original implied to me that it would be. The actual battling during most of the episode was pretty much what I expected from this episode and I found the total chaos of an all-out melee to be pretty enjoyable and at times funny to watch, like the Magikarp v Pyukumuku

What I did find stupid though (plotwise) was that the 16 finalists are all pretty much our 16 mainest of the main characters. To have this episode have more of an impact they should have had at least one surprise loss. I wish Plumeria had beaten Ilima
Should've paired the classmates with other CotD instead of each other so we can actually see their growth as characters instead of making them fight someone we already know is stronger/weaker than they are

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
OK! I think this is a pretty good start for the Alola league. Things that stuck out for me was the reappearance of a Scizor (even if its on the team of an "evil" character) and the Pikachu fan girl. While I often call Mimicyu "fake pikachu" in actuality, when it comes to my book that is really a term of endearment of sorts. Which is to say I do not believe it is an exaggeration to consider it to be one of the strongest Team Rocket pokemon in a long time. (assuming the right battle conditions)

A battle royale format feels a bit chaotic at first but I thought it set up the event quite nicely. The announcement of the future match ups also felt reminiscent of certain events at the Indigo league.

Not a great start. Bewear should come and wreck everyone. Pikachu shoved in our face again. I don't like this battle royale. TR strategy was smart.
Imagine if someone brought Arceus to the league. God all of the trainers are so weak except for Ash, Gladion, Kiawe, Guzma, and Acerola.
Lmao at Nanu passed out on the bed, he's my spirit animal

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
It was interesting to see last resort is just one giant swift. Salazzle fits Plumeria so damn well, makes me wish the battle against Eevee had been longer. Team skull are just walking jokes so of course they got easily defeated. The battle royal is not a bad idea to integrate into the competition, but I would’ve preferred if they had followed the same format as in the games (four trainers per battle). It is too bad that Kahili, who is an elite four member in the games, didn’t get screen time to show her battle skills despite being a part of the competition. Instead, TR made to the top 16 :rolleyes: