• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breakfast Food ;; When did it turn bad?

Should Sweet Fast Food be manufactured?

• No, it ruins the purpose of the ideal "Healthy Breakfast"

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Sure, I like sweet foods for breakfast, and they haven't done me any harm

Votes: 18 60.0%

• Total voters

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
How do you know which is 'American' and which isn't.. ?

I'm not really sure what the big deal is. Breakfast has always been unhealthy. Bacon, fried eggs and potatoes?

At least it's breakfast. You have all day to digest any fat or sugars you eat, so it has less impact on your body health wise than it would if you ate it for dinner.

And what is so wrong about eating sweet things for breakfast? Don't you eat desserts? The only difference between breakfast, lunch, and dinner are time frames as far as I'm concerned. Eating bad foods in the beginning of the day as I said is actually the least likely to impact your overall health.

Copypasta from Wikipedia:

Pop-Tarts are a brand of flat, rectangular, pre-baked toaster pastries made by the Kellogg Company. Pop-Tarts have a sugary filling sealed inside two layers of rectangular, thin pastry crust. Some varieties are frosted. Although sold pre-cooked, they are designed to be warmed inside a toaster. They are usually sold in pairs inside foil packages, and do not require refrigeration.
Popular flavors include chocolate, apple, frosted blueberry, frosted strawberry, frosted brown sugar cinnamon, cherry, and S'mores.
Pop-Tarts are Kellogg's most popular brand to date in the United States, with millions of Pop-Tarts sold each year. They are distributed mainly in the United States, but also in Canada. They can also be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Pop-Tarts were discontinued in Australia in 2005 and are now found only in import stores.

And don't tell me people eat this instead of eating dessert for dinner. I really can't imagine that.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
And don't tell me people eat this instead of eating dessert for dinner. I really can't imagine that.

Some people eat this instead of eating dessert after dinner. When I was a kid - when my parents allowed me to have them, I loved to eat a cinnamon one as a dessert. I wasn't really allowed to eat them for breakfast, though. Thank goodness.

As an adult though, I think Pop-Tarts are best used as emergency food (which they kind of look like) at college and the hospital. They're convenient vending machine selections for when someone has been occupied for so long that they haven't had the time to eat a decent meal, and stuck in middle of nowhere with $1.25.

I'm sure most people can get away with eating near anything for breakfast, (cold pizza FTW) I'm just one of those people whose health problems got me in the habit of making nice hot, protein-rich breakfasts for myself every day.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Wikipedia said:
Pop-Tarts are Kellogg's most popular brand to date in the United States, with millions of Pop-Tarts sold each year.
Wait wait wait, you had me thinking you literally just typed "breakfast food" in google and said it was all American.

So if you just meant Pop-Tarts.. what exactly is disgusting about it? Lol

My main issue though was that you just slapped American on it as if it's the only country doing it.

I said dessert because that's essentially what dessert is: a sugary meal.

Would you rather have it for breakfast or late at night? Both aren't really good options, but I'd rather have it for breakfast than 6 hours before bed. I'm not even sure what the debate in this topic is anymore.

Bacon, eggs, sausage - sodium, protein and lots of fat (bacon, maybe not eggs if it's beaten).
Pancakes, waffles - Made with buttermilk usually (which means lots of fat) and a whole lot of carbs.
Sweets being thrown out in this topic: sugar, carbs, and fat (depending on what you eat).

If anything.. it may have gotten better.

Last edited:

GaZsTiC

Alternating
As much as i love pop-tarts i don't eat them for breakfast, and the only thing at Mcdonalds that is good are those maple Mcgriddle thing....so good. Sugary cereals are gross. What i eat for breakfast usually are weight loss shakes :p

There has been a lot of people against the advertisement of such foods but the cereal companies win every time. If i eat cereal i eat good old Cheerios (not the honey crap either) good old plain Cheerios

....Have you ever actually checked to see how much sugar is in Cheerios. You'd be surprised.

Afr0 M0th

Coffee Guru
Beans on toast with a glass of orange juice,That is my usual breakfast if i need to get up early. What breakfast is about (to me) is making sure you eat something that will sustain you throughout the day. Sugary foods do offer alot of energy, however this is used up faster than something fiberous such as toast or cereal.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
cold pizza, if done right covers all but one of your daily nutritional needs, and that's fixed with a glass of OJ.

You got
Grains-Crust
Vegitables-Onions/Peppers/Olives *yuck*/Mushrooms*again yuck*/tomato suace
Meats-Pepperoni/suasage/bacon/hamburger
Dairy-Cheese
Fat's and Sugars-See Grease

just add some OJ and you just crushed that wretched pyramid.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
Nothing beats some good old oatmeal and almond butter. Quiche is also really good for breakfast too. To be honest, eating sugary stuff for breakfast disgusts me. This restaurant once had these apple streudal pancakes that were "there specialty" I could not even finish a quarter of them without feeling like throwing up and feeling like I developed diabetes...

I don't understand how people can eat so much sugary stuff, with breakfast, it needs to be savory and rich in protein. Then again, I am hypoglycemic...

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

What does it matter? If people sell these and they aren't using slave labor to manufacture them or sprinkling them with lead, I'm all for it if people are buying, and clearly they are.

Granted, I think that it's disgusting and that some dependable salted grits are far superior to the all this icing crap on a pastry sort of food, but it shouldn't be outlawed so that some people can impose their health food on everyone else. Why should you care what other people buy with their own money to eat? That's their prerogative, not yours.

originally posted by GaZsTiC

....Have you ever actually checked to see how much sugar is in Cheerios. You'd be surprised.
i don't care about the sugar, i just love the taste! :p

originally posted by MetalFlygon

You got
Grains-Crust
Vegitables-Onions/Peppers/Olives *yuck*/Mushrooms*again yuck*/tomato suace
Meats-Pepperoni/suasage/bacon/hamburger
Dairy-Cheese
Fat's and Sugars-See Grease
no actually Cold Pizza does not cover your nutrition. The Grain isn't grain, its mostly flour which has very little nutritional value. Vegetables in Pizza are cooked, therefore they loose most nutritional value. Red meat is unhealthy over all, but it does provide protein. The cheese (if Pizza is made cheaply) has a lot of oil. Finally the best thing in Pizza is its fat and sugar.

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
The worst I ever eat for cereal (limited time in the morning - dammit late bedtimes) is Mini Wheats... about three boxes a year. And Life cereal clocks in at about 8 boxes. Otherwise, it's Rice Krispies, Weetabix, cornflakes, or Cheerios. On weekends, I have pancakes made from scratch sometimes, Cream of Wheat (with a ridiculous amount of toppings of course), and toast (on homemade whole wheat bread) covered in honey.

Yes, fall asleep at my long description, or get some odd craving and be caught eating pancakes at four pm, but basically, I eat a non-sugar-loaded breakfast compared to most. (Eggs aren't on there since my little brother ALWAYS uses the little egg-size frying pan before I can, and I'm perfectly happy to eat something else)

So, I'm pretty untouched by over-sweetening, unless every cereal ever adds unhealthy amounts of sugar to itself, in which case my mom would actually go out, buy oats from the bulk aisle, and hand-grind oatmeal every day. She's like that (in a good way mind you).

Dattebayo

Banned
Breakfast doesn't have to be traditional foods like pancakes or cereal; any food can be eaten for breakfast. Thank you, educational videos, for telling me this information.

RedMage23

The Red Mage
Breakfast will often be the only real meal I eat, and I'm a college student, so I burn a lot of calories. For breakfast, I usually have some scrambled eggs, some potatoes, maybe a piece of sausage, a small bowl of cereal, and a doughnut (a normal-sized doughnut, not those colossal super-doughnuts that most places only have now) with coffee. It has what I need to get through the day. Stop worrying so much about what you eat and just eat what you need and nothing more. You don't need companies or government forcing you to eat healthier, if you want to eat healthier, choose healthier options.

People want food quickly without much preparation and without having to pay much money. Items like Poptarts, Eggo Waffles, Toaster Strudels, etc are cheap and fast to prepare. Apparently, everyone is always in a rush in the morning, so this just adds to the appeal. Sure, it's not healthy, but hey, it's cheap.

I'll stick to Special K and yogurt with a banana...

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
May be if people stopped worrying about stupid issues like breakfast and politicians might actually help out the economy and then we could finally afford healthy, organic breakfasts.

Seriously, why do we care about our food? It's not going to effect anything but weight. It's not going to be the end of the world, it's not going bomb America, it is not going to rape a child. there are many better things to do than debate about breakfast. it isn't a serious issue.

Seriously, why do we care about our food? It's not going to effect anything but weight. It's not going to be the end of the world, it's not going bomb America, it is not going to rape a child. there are many better things to do than debate about breakfast. it isn't a serious issue.

Yeah, true, but food is important. How it's made too. The chemical additives possibly being bad for the environment (not to mention plastic packaging), ethical treatment of the animals who provide us with meat and dairy, deforestation to build ranches for the animals we use, etc.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
May be if people stopped worrying about stupid issues like breakfast and politicians might actually help out the economy and then we could finally afford healthy, organic breakfasts.

actually...if you let a banana get too ripe...

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
The only time I ever had Pop-tarts I threw them up..

Not a big fan of super sweet breakfasts. Usually I have some Honey Nut Cheerios or some other mildly flavoured cereal.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I have this strange feeling I share the forums with a bunch of health nuts...a bowl of cereal makes a great snack about-mid day, when that 2 o' clock crash sets in...and I run high risk for diabetes due to family history, I don't worry, I like the taste of these so called unhealthy foods, and as long as I work out a little extra for the 'junky' food I consume, what difference should it make? as long as it tastes good and I burn up the fats and carbs quickly.

The rest of you all can go back to your closet and eat that celery stick, as for me, I'm eating Steak and Eggs for breakfast.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
I have this strange feeling I share the forums with a bunch of health nuts...a bowl of cereal makes a great snack about-mid day, when that 2 o' clock crash sets in...and I run high risk for diabetes due to family history, I don't worry, I like the taste of these so called unhealthy foods, and as long as I work out a little extra for the 'junky' food I consume, what difference should it make? as long as it tastes good and I burn up the fats and carbs quickly.

The rest of you all can go back to your closet and eat that celery stick, as for me, I'm eating Steak and Eggs for breakfast.
i agree 100% with that.