• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Breaking Titles at the Chateau! (823)

The brothers were ridiculous in the dub, wow, talk about over-exaggeration.

They were already ridiculous in the Original JPN Version, but I agree: their voices sucked, too.

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
This was a cool episode imo, good to see Grant appear, and his athleticism was also apparently funny. He has an obsession with walls, it seem, and Episode 25 later also showed that. Viola was also nice to see. The Battle Chateau was also cool imo. Nico and Chester kinda annoyed me with their tendency to rap their sentences, but they nonetheless remind me of gangsters somehow. At least they talked normally when in the formal Battle Chateau, so they're not insensitive at least! Also, Serena was funny at the end, "They're back at the yo's, yo.", lol. Chester also called himself contagious. Nonetheless, a fine episode.

chalkus

Okay episode. Thy made Grant seem kinda crazy, though.

Maybe it would be a good idea if they got the rappers VAs to do the next opening song of XY. We could get a repeat of the DP rap.

zhixun

Okay episode. Thy made Grant seem kinda crazy, though.

Maybe it would be a good idea if they got the rappers VAs to do the next opening song of XY. We could get a repeat of the DP rap.

DP did not have any rapping before even at the opening if I recall correctly. Megavolt is quite awesome for XY so there is no need to change that quickly in my opinion.

^See: http://dmpmnxvfdwr3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Jordan-Belfort-Absolutely-Not-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif^

Also, their VAs were Sean Schemmel (Miko) and Marc Thompson (Chester), and I don't want to hear anything like the DP rap again, please.

DP did not have any rapping before even at the opening if I recall correctly. Megavolt is quite awesome for XY so there is no need to change that quickly in my opinion.

He's referring to the English dub of DP...Season 1's opening...it was really bad.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I hated those rappers....
I'm glad Ash beat that little kid.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Seriously?? If I ever hear yo again I'm gonna hit something lol.

Also is Grant's voice throwing anybody else off??

Lanced

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode, one of X/Y's strongest to date I reckon, it introduced the Battle Chateu really well, and it seemed to breath life into the three battles which I wasn't particularly psyched about, and I loved Fletchinders design, (although I'm not sure how I feel about it taking down a Dusknoir so easily.) It just makes me all the more psyched about Ash getting one, all in all - a good episode.

matt0044

Seriously?? If I ever hear yo again I'm gonna hit something lol.

Also is Grant's voice throwing anybody else off??

He sounds very.... black I'll admit.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
He sounds very.... black I'll admit.
I was thinking of saying that too. It gives me Baptist preacher vibes, especially with the music the dub used for him. Guess they wanted to go there ;)

Clovaria

I hated hearing "Yo" every other second. :p I really hope they do some more with the Battle Chateau, considering that Ash even got a title.

Like I said with "Pika & Goliath", I think I'll skip this episode as well.
With how annoyingly exaggerated those two annoying kids were speaking, I was honestly close to the point of going "Done! next episode!". I kid you not.

Fortunately, as well with "P&G", those two kids stopped talking like that eventually for a bit.

If Pikachu doesn't like going in it's Pokeball, why does Ash keep it, anyway?

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Oof, this one was painful. Breaking Titles at the Chateau! is, quite frankly, not a good episode. We are introduced to the Battle Chateau by two very annoying brothers, Nico and Chester, who are clearly intended to be stereotypical slang-talking "cool" kids. They are simply unfunny and really don't mix in at all with the episode's chivalrous Chateau centerpiece (but at least Serena acknowledged how annoying they are). The Battle Chateau is straight from the Pokemon X and Y video games, but the writers make too much of an effort to shove it down the viewer's throat. The audience is force-fed seemingly every little detail about an institution that will likely never be seen again. There's also zero conflict here--sure, Ash battles Chester, but that does not even seem to be a problem because whatever the outcome of the battle is will not make much of a difference anyway. And alright, there are three battles in this episode, but there is no weight to them. It was cool to see two Gym leaders "duke" it out (pun completely intended), but that is the closest thing to actual entertainment in this week's installment.

To summarize, the Battle Chateau is totally uninteresting. What makes this episode so frustrating is how much time it dedicates to providing every little detail about something that the audience does not care about and will probably never see again in the anime. Yeah, it's got battling, but just having action alone will not suffice for a "good" episode. Every story has a conflict--this one doesn't. It feels more like an infomercial for the Battle Chateau than it does a Pokemon episode. It is understandable that the writers want to incorporate assets from the games into the anime, but the way they handled the Battle Chateau simply did not work. Even the characters interactions seemed off in this episode--they felt very stilted.

This was undoubtedly the weakest XY installment so far. On the bright side, the rest of the saga's episodes have been largely enjoyable so far. This one just didn't hit the mark.

Grade: D

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well seeing Ash's group visit the chateau was cool cuz it's my favourite battle facility in the Kalos games except I wanted Clemont and Serena to battle there as well and rank up. I liked seeing Grant's debut however as well as Viola's comeback plus the battle between them. :D

*Frank*

It would've been 100x better if Serena and Clemont gave the BC a shot as well.

..also, no lightning emblem on Pikaball, as expected.

JudySpell

Banned
So Ash got to meet Grant and participated at the Chateau while his pals did nothing except watch as usual sigh. How unfair. 5/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I really liked this episode. Even though I've pretty much ignored the Battle Chateau and the Battle Maison in the games, this episode makes it look really interesting. I liked seeing the ultra-rare appearance of Pikachu's pokeball, Serena getting annoyed at the way the brothers were talking (and their horrified reaction when she asked if they were rapping, LOL), and the battles. Grant was interesting in his first appearance too. I liked when he fell off the wall when he started applauding without thinking first, LOL.

9/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Ugh. The battles here were too rushed for my liking, though Viola and Grant's interactions were nice. Oddly enough, I paired Grant and Viola at one point. <3